Noah Built a Boat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noah Built a Boat?

I've been doing some thinking lately. Let's make it known first. I am Christian, proud to be one, accept others as well as non-Christians the same, I believe Jesus lived and performed miracles and was somehow God's play.

Now that I got that out of the way, let's go into bible bashing

I don't think bible is directly God's word, God may have something to do with it, but mortal men wrote the parts in it, a fact. Were they channeling God, or did God directly speak to them so they would write? I don't know. Maybe. However, there are few major stories there, that seem to be quite difficult for me to understand to take place like it's written in the bible.

I'll start with Noah. He built a big boat, and was told to gather and put animals in it. It was time for a reboot basically. The waters would rise, everything would be wiped out that lives. Yes? In the book of genesis, a universal flood was about to happen. Fortunately enough for Noah, he got to save his family and bunch of nice animals too.

It was because there was bunch of cousin sex that was going on (south, be very careful reading it ), and gene pool was getting a bit nasty, so God got angry and wanted to reboot it all.

Now, how did Noah built a boat, an ark, that was big enough, and according to standards of boat building, that he could put all the animals in there, two of each? And as far as I know, reindeers were not in those parts of the world and what about penguins? How did he gather them all? Besides, hwo did the animals get along in one big ass space in the boat? OK!! Let's assume they did get along, none of them died or got sick so they were able to make more babies later on. SO.. how was he able to make the boat that big? Also, did he have to check the sex of all animals getting in, so he would do it right, and how did he do that? What about insects?

Then the biggest one, what about the fish? What about ducks? They can swim easily.. What about birds?

How did he provided enough RIGHT food for every species, and how freaking big the boat was after that? Also what about building material for later on building, where did he find that, or did he have to start from scratch?

Also, if God got angry because men got corrupted after intermarrying and whatnot, why did he save Noah's family only? Wouldn't that pretty much constitute for a bad start, because if they want them kids, they'd have to .. have sex within the family? I mean, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

Maybe it's just a story... maybe it's just a story that has a teaching... against intermarrying, against corruption and all that.. Or maybe it really did happen, but he would only get SOME animals in, because he would never had built boat big enough and good enough IN HIS LIFE, even if he got help from boat builders.

What about other people who had boats? Or was NOah's boats teh best and rest got wiped out?

I think these are all valid questions, when thinking about hwo ACCURATE bible is, when talking about word to word.

But let's say I'm bible agnostic on some stories. Hey, if God says they happened, then they happened. Who am I to know better. But since it's written by men, I have valid reason to have the option open where some of them stories might be just .. stories.

What about dinosauruses? Bible doesn't mention them. And they dominated the globe for a VERY long time before ice age came. Well, conviniently enough the science has discovered these facts later on, inside some hundreds of years WAYYY after bible was written. I would ASSUME it mentiont this period, and not just the part were world is created, animals and man etc. With it's huge detail to who gave birth to who, I would assume it mentiont dinosarueses and ice age at least with one paragraph. But no. Nothing. And since that is a fact, then we weren't the first inheritants of earth.

So a) you have to agree, that some of them are stories and that's OK because it IS written by men, so every word might not necessarily be Gods word. Some of it might, most of it might. Or at least the ... teachings and basic concepts would be, but not everything. or b) you have to deny science and that dinosauruses every existed, or that the bible was inaccurate and forgot to mention the fishes did survive and also ducks.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

God's gonna smite you, you heathen.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

You forgot c) : both a) and b) are a big lie.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

drosedars, nope. He gave me existance in the first place, and free will, and good fortune lately I might add, and discovering the truth is important. I never said that God doesn't exists, or that the stories are BS. I said, that bible itself might not necessarily be accurate Gods text word to word. That it might include some ... additions or revisions. Or, that God wanted those stories to be added in the bible as teaching, but it actually didn't happen, or that it happened but differently (basically meaning the word by word wasn't accurate anyway).
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

pekka, yep. God will not be mocked! Repent now, you sinner! You dare question the Word of God and the logic of its illogic?

Comment

I don't question the word of God. I'm throwing ideas around, where just maybe some of the stories in bible are not 100% accurate, and thus stories. Even if told by God, they would still be stories, because we are talking about a belief where these things happened like this, and as historical fact. Now, I beg the difference and suggest that a) something is left out and not told or b) it was just a story or c)it did happen but completely differently.

This is not defying Gods word.
            In da butt.

Comment

Questioning is defying the Word and Will of God. Heathen, how dare you think!

Comment

I think according to the Bible God sent the animals that he had chosen to survive to the boat, so the boat could theoretically contain all animals.

Still a valid point is that when only Noah's family has survived, they would have to make interfamily sex to grow and within some generations the people would probably be too stupid to live.
                OR humanity was so incredibly smart before and because of all that brother-sister ****ing we are now a shame of what we could be...

Comment

Yes, if bible was THE WORD in fact

Now, let's not forget that most branches of every religion devides in this, where some believe this actually is a story, and others believe it was true, word to word. What is interesting is creationists and their 'science'. Some of them (not all) say that according to their studies, there would have been about 16,000 individual creatures on board the ark PLUS a bonus, some of the dinosauruses were also aboard .
                  In da butt.

Comment

"So many people to smite and send to Hell, so little time..." -- God

Comment

Atahualpa, OK so God sent the animals. Do you realize how freaking big the boat would have to be, and what standards it would have to be built upon to survive more than 2 seconds? Food issue, and the fact that most species would die very soon from interbreeding right after that.

It says, that people used to live longer, and Noah was several hundred years old too. And that it was the interbreeding that caused the life expectancy to drop radically etc. As a result of that also, men became greedy, corrupt and just nasty. So there was a need for a new fresh start. And.... just as it happens, it started from one family???? I mean, interbreeding at its best right there. That was the cause of most of the problems in the first place.
                      In da butt.

Comment

Well... whatever.. I can't think of anything more boring right now than trying to logicalize a 2000 year old book which I don't believe in anyway.

Your God has super hero powers that are even bigger than Superman, so he can bring all the food, build the boat, change the genes, clone the humans, stop the bacteria... whatever you want...

Comment

No,. because it says that Noah built the boat. I can accept that God brought the animals there, but what about the boat part. Noah built the boat.
                          In da butt.

Comment

yeah entonces... he helped him build the boat, but didn't take credits for it.. now satisfied?

Comment

No.
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X