Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could go back in time and give our modern tech to someone, would you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If you could go back in time and give our modern tech to someone, would you?

Originally posted by Lancer
    Consider, if you went back and gave the Roman empire the tech needed to survive the barbarians, the dark ages would have been avoided.
    Rome still would have fallen. They could have handled the barbs. Rome was imploding politically and economically from corruption. The barbs just finished them. To actually prevent the fall of Rome you have to go in and really clean house across the empire but doing that would have also precipitated a fall. From about Nero's time on the fall was inevitable.

Your original question is invalid because it would create the classic paradox: If you went back you would change your future but that would mean you don't need to go back so your future did not change (so on and so on).
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Truly modern technology probably wouldn't by understood by anyone 100 years ago to be of any use, forget about earlier in time.

Take a care from the 50's, plonk it in the Reinessance, and given enough time the idea of an internal compustion engine and gears and axels and stuff could be understood. They might be able to even build one, just tediously longer due to the lack of the assembly line.

Hand DaVinci a laptop or GM crop and you're dealing with technology built on sciences he's never even imagined before.
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

I believe it was Arthur C. Clarke that said "Any technology sufficiently advanced will become indistinguishable from magic". That would be how it would appear to people far enough in the past (which would usually get you burnt at the stake).
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Maybe give the romans the printing press?
          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
            Maybe give the romans the printing press?
            They'd probably try to run someone's arm (or something else ) through it.
            Not many of the common folk were all that literite.

Comment

I would... but I wouldn't.

I like living and doing that would undo my existance.... unless I could give it to myself in the past .

What do you mean this program is liscened to microsoft?

Edit: There is debatible evidence that the romans actually had the printing press but it was not widley used.

Comment

Originally posted by Vesayen
                I would... but I wouldn't.

I like living and doing that would undo my existance.... unless I could give it to myself in the past .

What do you mean this program is liscened to microsoft?

Edit: There is debatible evidence that the romans actually had the printing press but it was not widley used.
                I see you get my point.

The printing press could have made the Roman Empire even more chaotic. In our timeline it had the effect of spreading the Renaissance and Reformation. It was the right tool at the right time in the right place (for us, not them).

Comment

I would give a fire-extinguisher to Joan of Arc.

Just to annoy the Brits
                  Statistical anomaly.
                  The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

I'd give a thousand machine guns and 10 million rounds of ammunition to Alexander the Great. That way, nobody would be impressed when he conquered the world.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Didn't William Golding "give" the Romans steam engine and printing press?

Also, Turtledove "gave" the Confederates AK-47's
                      Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                      Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                      Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                        I'd give a thousand machine guns and 10 million rounds of ammunition to Alexander the Great. That way, nobody would be impressed when he conquered the world.
                        A thousand machine guns in his time WOULD be impressive (just by being there). I can picture though how they would be as much a danger to each other as anyone else.

Comment

I would bring modern plants (much more nourishing than old plants), and explain farming techniques that are doable without mechanization.
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Sometime back not so long ago so money still buys you everything. Then something, a tech that can be hugely commercially exploited, by me of course.
                            there's books with that subject, a connecticut yankee in the yard of king arthur is one

Comment

î would first do into the future to get all the cool stuff and then bring it back to like yesterday....and voila
                              Bunnies!
                              Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                              God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                              'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Stopping the bubonic plague would be nice as would stopping the fall of the Roman Empire. Those were the two biggest calamities in western history. Heck, give the Romans knowledge about industrialization and fire arms then watch them Romanize the world.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X