Danish PM calls for Russia to apologize to Baltics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danish PM calls for Russia to apologize to Baltics

From Berlingske Tidende today, I've tried to translate an extract of the article.

3 May 2005
    Tallinn/Copenhagen/Prague:

Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen (Venstre) is asking Russia to issue an apology for the 50 year long occupation of the Baltic countries by the Soviet Union. The Prime Minister also expresses his complete sympathy with the decision made by Estonia and Lithuania to boycott an upcoming memorial ceremony in Moscow in remembrance of the 60th anniversary for the end of World War II.

"We know from experience that it helps the efforts of reconciliation to recognize mistakes of the past - and to apologize on behalf of the nation" Anders Fogh Rasmussen said as he commented yesterday on the controversial matter of the Baltic demand for an official Russian apology. The Prime Minister is currently on a tour of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

The Prime Minister stressed that "We have seen German leaders apologize for mistakes and criminal acts commited in the past. Of course present day leaders cannot be held responsible for past decisions. But in order to create a sense of reconciliation, it can serve as a valuable means of furthering progress between countries, if leaders of today would be willing to acknowledge such mistakes made in the past."

The statements are seen by commentators as striking a very sensitive chord with Russia, who is expected to react harshly towards Denmark. It's the first time that any EU state leader has openly supported the Baltic countries' call for an apology.

The Prime Minister's appeal comes at a time when concerns about apologizing seem very far from entering the Russian political agenda. In contrast, President Putin last week in an address to the nation even expressed his regret that the Soviet Union had collapsed. The President called it the greatest geopolitical disaster of the 20th century.

Lithuanian President Valdas Adamkus was pleased by the expressed support of Denmark, but did not expect the present Russian administration to issue an apology. "It would be an achievement in itself, if the Russian government just acknowledged that those 50 years of occupation even took place. That is the expectation of the Lithuanian people" Adamkus said.

The Russian foreign ministry said yesterday it had no comments to make on the matter.

The Prime Minister's public support to the Baltic demands for an apology coincides with an expected official Danish apology tomorrow (eve of the 60th anniversary of Denmark's liberation) for the policy of cooperation with the German occupational forces, and for the return to Germany of 21 Jewish refugees during the occupation.
    I wonder what horrible physical torment President Putin will be publicly wishing for to strike our PM, for making such outrageous statements.

What is with all this demanding apologies over past events. Is it going to get to the point where Turkey demands an apology from Greece for the destruction of Troy?
    There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

It's a gesture which may help not only the relations with other countries, but could also be aiding the understanding among one's own populace of what were the decisions and policies of the past. In many countries, certain aspects of history are played down or even denied, which can never be a helpful thing.

I see it also as a valuable process leading up to the apology itself. But of course it requires that the officials of, in this case, Russia manage to wrap their minds around the fact that there even was an occupation...
      Last edited by Winston; May 3, 2005, 02:34.

Comment

What's the point, Russia's not going to mean it. Russia will be like all drunk and "I'm sorry man... that was wrong" and Estonia and Latvia will be like "Dude, you so didn't mean that". And Russia will be like "I so totally did... lets get some vodka and get hammered".

And stuff..
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

This also has to be seen in the context of the Estonian and Lithuanian boycott of the 60th anniversary festivities in Moscow on 9 May. The governments of these two countries have no intention of taking part in commemorations of this "liberation", considering the present Russian insistence that there was no such thing as a Soviet occupation of the Baltic states. The government of Latvia decided to take part in the ceremonies, but with the expressed intent of calling attention to the Soviet occupation taking over where the German occupation left off.

A country like Poland was very hesitant to announce its participation for some of the same reasons, and it's my understanding that President Kwasniewskij was under intense pressure domestically to not be present in Moscow.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            What's the point, Russia's not going to mean it. Russia will be like all drunk and "I'm sorry man... that was wrong" and Estonia and Latvia will be like "Dude, you so didn't mean that". And Russia will be like "I so totally did... lets get some vodka and get hammered".

And stuff..

"I'll never get drunk again!!! Ever! THIS time is the last!!!"
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

And stuff..

That's SOOOO MUCH like it would be should Serb take up my full underwriting of beer expenditure in Vilnius
              Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Rasmussen
                Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker

"I'll never get drunk again!!! Ever! THIS time is the last!!!"
                  In that case we better start knocking down the good stuff.
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

The baltic countries should send all the Rooskies they had imposed upon them by the Sovs to the Russian end of WW2 party as good will embassadors, then slam the gates shut when they're gone.
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                      The baltic countries should send all the Rooskies they had imposed upon them by the Sovs to the Russian end of WW2 party as good will embassadors, then slam the gates shut when they're gone.
                      That's what the Russians (and the Poles) did to the Germans in East Prussia. They also raped the German women and killed a lot of them on the way out.

Did the Russians apologize for THAT?
                      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Once you're in the EU, it's considered to be bad form. But if it can make you feel better, half of the Rooskies in Latvia (who are half of the whole population themselves) are still second rank citizens, without the right to vote. IIRC, the situation is similar in Estonia, but at least the sub-citizen status doesn't hit as many people.
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Doesn't make me feel much better. They represent a potential fifth column.

"Once you're in the EU, it's considered to be bad form."

I also would consider being in the EU 'bad form'. Nice we can find common ground Spif.
                          Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Doesn't make me feel much better. They represent a potential fifth column.
                            So, they live there and have lived there for a long damn time. They have every right to be allowed to have a say in their governence. If you believe the Israelis have a right to Israel despite only living there for 60 years, then the Russians have a right to live in the Baltics and be citizens as well.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Guys, are there requirements besides "have lived there for a long damn time" to gain citizenship in USA? France? UK? Sweden?

Thought so.

Comment

Working...
                              X