No announcement yet.

What have we learned from Iraq?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No joke Pekka. Ok, I'll put it up until someone presents a good arguement why it doesn't belong.

BlackCat, thanks, didn't know about the sub.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Is this a joke or are you living in parallel universe
      I love how so many people forget that the believed the same evidence that convinced Bush at the time.

I have learned the left are the number one producers of Monday Morning Quarterbacks. Some real talent there
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Actually, we have also learned that the thinking that the Marshall plan inspired a defeated Germany to be our everlasting friend was also a complete pipe dream.
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Ned, they'll all say that we freed France for our own selfish reasons, but I'll put it up there.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

This isn't a "right" or "left" issue, unfortunatley some of you guys can't see it any other way

When you send 150,000 kids into combat to invade a country where alot of people are going to die and be miserable, that kinda supersedes politics. It's pretty disgusting that people have to think of it taht way though.
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

And by the way there are a number of Senators, on the "right", including McCain and Lugar, that have critcized the whole operation.
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                "The US cannot depend upon France, Germany and old europe."

"The major reason for going to war in the first place was bogus, and the resulting backlash hurt the presidency of GWB and the credibility of the US."

"The president didn't expect the post war resistance to be as strong and so wasn't ready, a major failing."

Hmm, would these be connected?

Just a thought.
                can't say it hurt the presidency that badly as he was re-elected.

Comment

No, I really think you are living in Fox World. You are not living in Europe at least. In here, the Powell thing MADE IT WORSE. In here, it did. What it was, a crappy powerpoint presentation with some flurry images and what not. It was horrible. And Powell was very uncomfortable.

I'm talking about the Powell thing only. There were many people who believed there MIGHT be WMDs. What happened in the UN made it worse. Hey, ask any Euro if you don't believe me.

And let's nto forget, I supported the campagn, and I still do support it, except that I would hope it would go to the right direction, meaning more troops, WAY more troops, to make it realistic operation.

People who say French this Germans that, uh oh touchy feely, hey let's get back into the real world. Majority, GREAT majority of Europeans did not believe in the opreation, it was a bad deal to begin with, so there was a hard sell. Which made it worse in here. Allies, foes, hey, we live in eurocentric world of view in here. So we see things a little differently. It's not about values in here. **** forget that. Saddam could hurt us what ever, it was not a thing that people believed in here. While you were twitching and thinking these dudes will hurt you, and we're not helping you, well we saw it as you guys are going nuts again over something that is totally laughable. Which it turned out to be, a fact.

Let's face it. Majority of Euros were right. That's the way it is. Saddam is gone, yaadayaada. No, that was not the discussion. It was about why mayn Euro countries didn't want to engage. Because the reasons were.. bogus. You could mobilize a country on those reasons, but you can't mobilize MANY countries over those reasons, while the majority opposes (because they don't believe in it, Powell making it even worse in the UN) etc etc.

And yes. I supported the action. So I belong to the minority.
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                      Oversight of the treatment of POWs is absolutely essential.
                      Ambiguity makes me chuckle, but this should probably be "Overseeing".
                      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

I love how so many people forget that the believed the same evidence that convinced Bush at the time.

I have learned the left are the number one producers of Monday Morning Quarterbacks. Some real talent there
                        What does that matter? Bush should have access to more information than the public does. And if he fell for the same things the average citizen did, that makes him more of a ****** not less of one. You expect the President to have more insight... seeing as thats basically his job.

Comment

word

He wanted to invade Iraq regardless of what the evidence showed. The weapons of mass destruction was just a way to get more political backing but it backfired.

Well, it worked on die hard Bush supporters but alienated pretty much 95% of the people outside the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                            I certainly didn't it. I expressed doubts all along that Iraq possessed anything significant and knew the claims that they were some sort of threat to us were bs. Powell's presentation was utterly unconvincing as well except to those who wanted it to be so.

Many of us here predicted all along they wouldn't find any WMDs, because the UN Inspectors had been saying all along they couldn't find anything. We were right.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Ted, Nah, I'm just overwhelmed by the argument where France and Germany sucks, after the fact that the WMDs weren't there, and the reasons for war were bogus. That's a paradox right there! ****, they were right, they didn't join, thus they are bastards.. Uhm?

It's realpolitiks in a way. Allies or not. Don't expect anyone to gear up for you, if you're making a hard sell.

What France did, for going against, now that's a .. that's something you could debate, I mean, why blocking if you could just say we won't go with it and then sit down and shut up. I'm not defending these actions.

ALl I'm saying is, they were right, we were wrong, so why some people are blaming anyone in here!?! Weird.

Besides, how cna a country be a friend and bastard every other day, depending what the news say? Go, travel, make friends, learn about places, and make your own judgement. 'France blocks the new cheese companies from selling their products in Paris'.. BASTARDS! No.. the real answer is, who the hell cares. No one is being unfriendly, except people who are going wild about france evil this germany evil that.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

The presence of Germany and France in Afganistan is likely a mistake. Unless they were prevented to go to Irak by some prejudice against preemptive wars.
                                Statistical anomaly.
                                The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X