Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Asher
    Who thinks that?

Computer Science is more about playing with gadgets.

Think about that next time you're in a car accident and your car is that much safer than they were 30 years ago, or the next time you go to the bank to withdraw money, or the next time you go to the doctor and get prescribed some medication...

These "gadgets" have become part of everyday life for regular people, and essential tools to furthering scientific understanding in virtually every field.
    I'm saying that making the gadgets isn't the only necessary aspect of life. The doctor for example is just as important as the machines that he uses. Philosophy is also important, although we probably have a sufficient quantity of philosophers.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Who said gadgets are the only necessary aspect of life?
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Who said gadgets are the only necessary aspect of life?
        I'm just making an observation about the pissing contest that seems to be going on, and how stupid it is.

Comment

• Now it isn't. We have the biggest pissing machines.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

They don't teach you how to "sluff out code" at Calgary, they teach you how to solve problems. The problem is a lot of universities seem to be just focusing on how to "sluff out code", increasingly the US ones, which is why they're tanking in the rankings compared to other schools.
            The best professor at my uni forced students to think rather than simply learn the code. Unfortunately, when you signed up for a computer course, you had no idea who was teaching, so you got professors at random. There were two proffs I desperately wanted to study under, and I never got them.

Regardless, the proff I mentioned was really freakin' nice guy. I worked 60+ hour weeks in the comp sci lab, and he would by sandwiches for me just cuz he knew I couldn't get away for lunch, and he didn't even know my name at the time.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Anyone who is not a left-handed bagpipe technician from the East Coast should be shot.
              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Pekka
                Now it isn't. We have the biggest pissing machines.
                But the contest was to see who could piss for the longest time so you guys lose even though you have the biggest machines.

Ha ha!

Comment

People skills are still important, but it largely depends on your role on the team. Software development, at least, is a team process. You need to be able to work well and communicate well with others. "Primadonna Programmers" are useful only at the lowest level of the hierarchy, when they're given a task and that's it.

As for English...in my experience, computer science majors are unusually good at English. I think it relates to having to "get it right the first time" with syntax and structure in a program, and it translates from a language like C++ to a language like English.
                  I didn't aim the spelling thing at you , it was written for our mutual opponents in this debate . I'm in agreement with your stance here .

I'd like to see how useful the philosophers find philosophy in answering the two questions I raised .

Comment

• That's ok. You can piss longer. I can live with that.
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

• From what I have heard of ACM contests, they don't really reflect the overall quality of a CS program, rather just the program solving skills of the best students in the CS department who are also interested in ACM competitions. Native ability would seem as though it would be a pretty big factor for a competition like this.
                      "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

• Originally posted by Pekka
                        That's ok. You can piss longer. I can live with that.
                        All you care about it the machine right?

Comment

As for English...in my experience, computer science majors are unusually good at English. I think it relates to having to "get it right the first time" with syntax and structure in a program, and it translates from a language like C++ to a language like English.
                          In my experience, computer programmers (who compose most of my friends in my hometown) are horrible at French, because their main written communication goes to colleagues who make exactly the same spelling and grammar mistakes, and have a terrible use of punctuation. I have seen much fewer grammar-impaired people among my non-techie friends.
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• That's because they are French. Nothing makes sense.
                            In da butt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                              From what I have heard of ACM contests, they don't really reflect the overall quality of a CS program, rather just the program solving skills of the best students in the CS department who are also interested in ACM competitions. Native ability would seem as though it would be a pretty big factor for a competition like this.
                              The best students go to the best schools, where they have the best opportunity. They tend to get scholarships and other incentives if they can't economically afford it.

Further, when the ratings are remarkably consistent year to year with constant streams of new students competing, you can begin to closer tie the results with the quality of instruction they receive.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• What is up with Ashers gapping and massive insecurity? I don't see anyone else in this forum as desperate for approval, or at least wanting to make his choice of academic study look good than Asher. You don't see DanS touting econ programs, JohnT discussing different MBA programs, Imran talking about the best lawschools, you don;t even see Agathon start threads about the top philosophy programs...

BUt poor little Asher, he can't live without trying to point out how we should all give a rats ass about his chosen line of study...

Now that I think about it, its really funny, funny not only as in Laugh at Asher, but funny overall-how those who try to point out how much "they are worth" are the ones that act like kiddies needing attention.

Oh, and as for the differences between the humanities and the sciences-the very nature of science means that most of the work of most scientists will be forgotten, left behind, or possibly found to be incorrect at some point. On the other hand, a great writer, a great poet, a great philosopher is trully immortal, since their work deals with the one unchanging value, our humanity.
                                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                                X