No announcement yet.

US universities/colleges still suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The notion that truth can be achieved through empirical observation and experimentation, the very point of science, is a philosophical notion. All science is a subset of philosophy. Hence why you get a Doctorate of Philosophy in any of the Sciences.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Frankly, I'd rather live under some "unenlightened" government at our level of technology than the most democratic, liberal society conceivable at the ancient Greeks' level of technology...
      You forget that even "poor" Athenian citizens owned a few slaves each.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap
        The notion that truth can be achieved through empirical observation and experimentation, the very point of science, is a philosophical notion. All science is a subset of philosophy.
        Way too many scientists don't bother thinking about it
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Like Asher, who seems to think that the scientific method came out of nowhere.
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris
            Like Asher, who seems to think that the scientific method came out of nowhere.
            I never said anything of the sort.

My beef has always been with teaching Philosophy today at a university level, employing people who like Agathon -- who very obviously do not deserve such employment.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• And how successful have philosophers been in offering solutions , like computer scientists do , to this problem/question ? Science has given us concrete models on which we can base our technology . Can you give us an accurate model for life.

OK. You are dying of cancer and are more terrified than you have been in your entire life, so much so that you can hardly focus on anything.

Which is more likely to help you. I mean really help, not just distract you. Epictetus, or a copy of Doom III?

Guess what doctors do in these situations? It's called something like cognitive therapy and it is basically what Epictetus does.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Frankly, I'd rather live under some "unenlightened" government at our level of technology than the most democratic, liberal society conceivable at the ancient Greeks' level of technology...

Really? I'd rather live in Athens. I want some of what those guys were smoking (and a shot at Phryne too).
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon
                  OK. You are dying of cancer and are more terrified than you have been in your entire life, so much so that you can hardly focus on anything.

Which is more likely to help you. I mean really help, not just distract you. Epictetus, or a copy of Doom III?

Guess what doctors do in these situations? It's called something like cognitive therapy and it is basically what Epictetus does.
                  Or maybe you'd be more appreciative of the treatments that are given to you to save your life/ease your pain that were done via computer simulations and research.

I don't think you understand how far-reaching computer science is. It does far more than make toys and games.

IBM is the second largest software company in the world, and the vast majority of people haven't heard of most of their products, for instance.

You lack the depth of thought to be a philosopher, or a computer scientist. That's why you're a glorified history teacher for freshmen.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• or you could call Genentech and get something like Rituxan and cure the cancer
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• The kind of philosophy I study is intended to help us to deal with things that technology can't ever fix.

On the other hand, that's just one aspect of it (and not the one we emphasize to students). The rest is pretty analytical stuff.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Or maybe you'd be more appreciative of the treatments that are given to you to save your life/ease your pain that were done via computer simulations and research.

I certainly was when my father was dying, but that's not enough and it never will be.

You lack the depth of thought to be a philosopher, or a computer scientist. That's why you're a glorified history teacher for freshmen.

I don't think it is I that lack the depth of thought. Rather it is that you are incapable of examining your own beliefs dispassionately.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Let's put it this way:

Tell Computer Scientists to take a year off, and see what happens to the world.

Tell Philosophers to take a year off, and see what happens to the world.

Comment

• Let's put it this way:

Tell Computer Scientists to take a year off, and see what happens to the world.

Tell Philosophers to take a year off, and see what happens to the world.

One year more until the revolution....
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

• You know....
                              I think Agathon is really Asher's DL and he gets his jollies by arguing with himself on Poly....
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang
                                You know....
                                I think Agathon is really Asher's DL and he gets his jollies by arguing with himself on Poly....
                                That would be amazing.
                                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                                X