Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To All Those Critics of British Food...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Dauphin


    Creme Brulée. English through and through, named in French just to get a better rep it seems. In France its Creme Anglais, which is better than "Burnt Cream" I suppose.

    Ever been to Strada (Italian of course) or Pret a Manger. Saying you are going to Strada or Pret sounds so much bettter than going to "Road" or "Ready". Admittedly there is a sandwich shop called EAT.
    Creme Anglais and Creme Brulee are as far I know not the same thing(local varitations my differ).
    Again, AFAIK, creme brulee is made with creme Anglais, that doesn't make it the same thing though.


    * Deserts never were my strong point.
    Last edited by alva; April 23, 2005, 08:20.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by alva

      Creme Anglais and Creme Brulee are as far I know not the same thing(local varitations my differ).
      Again, AFAIK, creme brulee is made with creme Anglais, that doesn't make it the same thing though.


      Indeed they aren't: creme anglais is a vanilla egg custard. Creme brulee ain't.
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

      ...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

      Comment


      • #63
        Sakai would approve:

        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

        Comment

        Working...
        X