Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To All Those Critics of British Food...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I dispute the list.

    Unless there has been a major change in a few years, I don't see how they can possibly list La Tupina there? True, it's a good one, but I didn't find anything in it that puts it above many that don't figure in the list.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

    Comment


    • #17
      From the country that created Spotted Dick?
      Only feebs vote.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by bfg9000
        The Brits do meat very well. A good steak and kidney pie washed down with a McMullens ale is an excellent meal..
        Yep...either fossilised or charcoaled, take your pic.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: To All Those Critics of British Food...

          Originally posted by molly bloom
          Time to eat your words. The Fat Duck Restaurant in Bray has been voted the world's best.


          I noticed as well that an American survey found that gourmets there thought London was best place to eat out.

          Here's a degustation menu from Chef Heston Blumenthal's Fat Duck:


          MENU SAMPLE FOR TASTING MENU
          NINETY-SEVEN POUNDS AND FIFTY PENCE

          NITRO-GREEN TEA AND LIME MOUSSE

          ORANGE AND BEETROOT JELLY

          OYSTER, PASSION FRUIT JELLY, HORSERADISH CREAM,

          LAVENDER POMMERY GRAIN MUSTARD ICE CREAM,

          RED CABBAGE GAZPACHO

          JELLY OF QUAIL,

          LANGOUSTINE CREAM,

          PARFAIT OF FOIE GRAS



          SNAIL PORRIDGE
          Jabugo Ham, shaved fennel

          ROAST FOIE GRAS
          Almond fluid gel, cherry and chamomile

          SARDINE ON TOAST SORBET
          Ballotine of mackerel ‘invertebrate’, marinated daikon

          SALMON POACHED WITH LIQUORICE
          Asparagus, pink grapefruit, "Manni" olive oil

          POACHED BREAST OF ANJOU PIGEON PANCETTA
          Pastilla of its leg, pistachio, cocoa and quatre épices

          WHITE CHOCOLATE AND CAVIAR

          MRS MARSHALL’S MARGARET CORNET
          PINE SHERBET FOUNTAIN

          MANGO AND D0UGLAS FIR PUREE
          Bavarois of lychee and mango, blackcurrant sorbet

          CARROT AND ORANGE TUILE,
          BAVAROIS OF BASIL
          BEETROOT JELLY

          SMOKED BACON AND EGG ICE CREAM
          Pain perdu, tea jelly

          LEATHER, OAK AND TOBACCO CHOCOLATES
          PRALINE ROSE TARTLET

          A selection of wines by the glass to accompany this menu £67.50

          A selection of Champagne Taittinger by the glass to accompany this menu £90.00


          Forgot the link: http://www.fatduck.co.uk/
          you aren't going to sway me with that menu. You shouldn't be insulted when I badmouthed European food in the other thread. I find just about any northern european food to be disgusting or just average at best.

          Comment


          • #20
            I don't understand this thread. No one said that French cuisine was bad...
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by MikeH
              Where did you see this article?

              I found this:



              That said it was second best (and another restaurant in Bray in the top 20)
              Best Restaurant in the World: The French Laundry, CA, USA

              WE'RE NUMBER ONE! WE'RE NUMBER ONE!

              Bow down biatches!
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: To All Those Critics of British Food...

                Originally posted by molly bloom


                MENU SAMPLE FOR TASTING MENU
                NINETY-SEVEN POUNDS AND FIFTY PENCE

                NITRO-GREEN TEA AND LIME MOUSSE

                ORANGE AND BEETROOT JELLY

                OYSTER, PASSION FRUIT JELLY, HORSERADISH CREAM,

                LAVENDER POMMERY GRAIN MUSTARD ICE CREAM,

                RED CABBAGE GAZPACHO

                JELLY OF QUAIL,

                LANGOUSTINE CREAM,

                PARFAIT OF FOIE GRAS



                SNAIL PORRIDGE
                Jabugo Ham, shaved fennel

                ROAST FOIE GRAS
                Almond fluid gel, cherry and chamomile

                SARDINE ON TOAST SORBET
                Ballotine of mackerel ‘invertebrate’, marinated daikon

                SALMON POACHED WITH LIQUORICE
                Asparagus, pink grapefruit, "Manni" olive oil

                POACHED BREAST OF ANJOU PIGEON PANCETTA
                Pastilla of its leg, pistachio, cocoa and quatre épices

                WHITE CHOCOLATE AND CAVIAR

                MRS MARSHALL’S MARGARET CORNET
                PINE SHERBET FOUNTAIN

                MANGO AND D0UGLAS FIR PUREE
                Bavarois of lychee and mango, blackcurrant sorbet

                CARROT AND ORANGE TUILE,
                BAVAROIS OF BASIL
                BEETROOT JELLY

                SMOKED BACON AND EGG ICE CREAM
                Pain perdu, tea jelly

                LEATHER, OAK AND TOBACCO CHOCOLATES
                PRALINE ROSE TARTLET

                A selection of wines by the glass to accompany this menu £67.50

                A selection of Champagne Taittinger by the glass to accompany this menu £90.00


                Forgot the link: http://www.fatduck.co.uk/
                God, that is one of the most pretentious menues I have ever seen.

                It is all about "look what I can do with my cool toys" and has no coherent thematic philosophy underlying it as a foundation. Fine cooking IMHO is all about getting the best ingredients possible and showing them off in a way that lets their natural beautifulness shine through. The monstrosity above is what happens when chefs cook with their ego and put that above their respect for the ingredients. Becuase food editors need to sell papers to a public that is enthralled with gee-whiz technology and are often such themselves these bs chefs and their bs food tend to get heaped with praise.

                I have been a professional cook and chef for 15 years mostly in fine dinning. Technology is useful but it is not the point of cooking, those nitro-blasters are abhorent, I would never allow one in my kitchen.
                Last edited by Drewcifer; April 20, 2005, 03:02.

                Comment


                • #23
                  What in the he11 is a nitro-blaster?
                  Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    The true test of culinary skill is mastery within a discipline - - not mere innovation.

                    The Soup, the Pot Roast, the Fish dishes are all true tests in the european realm.

                    I could care less about peacock's tongues on a bed of gold gilded caviar (or whatever), but give me the Perfect Soup....and I'll call you a Master.
                    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Right... go to any holiday spot in Europe, preferrably in southern Europe.. what do you get for breakfast in resorts? BRITISH BREAKFAST!!!!! What do the disgusting signs outside the restaurants market... BRITISH BREAKFAST! What is british breakfast? It's heart attack and some disgustoids with it. It's the most horrible invention since super crack. Yeah, thanks for the tourist colonialism! How about just a .. sandwhich and some orange juice, how about a coffee and .. well something NORMAL. Not heart attack and disgustoids.

                      WICKED WICKED WICKED LADS!!!! WICKED! WICKED!

                      DIE, pretty please.
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by mindseye
                        What in the he11 is a nitro-blaster?
                        Ferran Adria, the chef at El Bulli in Spain uses liquid nitrogen immersion as a way to manipulate food. El Bulli is another "greatest restaurant in the world" and the one the Fat Duck is copying. Adria is considered the creator of molecular gastronomy.

                        What it all comes down to is there are a lot of good chefs in the world. In order to be considered the best (if you want to play that game) it helps to have a gimmick. Molecular gastronomy is a great gimmick because not a lot of people can do it and it impresses people who seek novelty. The true path to greatness lies elsewhere... I prefer the French Laundry's approach: make classic food perfectly.
                        Last edited by Drewcifer; April 20, 2005, 02:55.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Re: To All Those Critics of British Food...

                          nevermind

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            A British restaurant with no fish'n'chips???!!! :moral outrage:

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Re: To All Those Critics of British Food...

                              Originally posted by Drewcifer


                              I have been a professional cook and chef for 15 years mostly in fine dinning. Technology is useful but it is not the point of cooking, those nitro-blasters are abhorent, I would never allow one in my kitchen.

                              Blumenthal hasn't made the technology the 'point' of his cooking.


                              Flavour, texture ingredients and exciting the palate are what it's all about.


                              If you dismiss technological advances, all you'll have us eating is fresh fruit, seeds and nuts, singed nearly raw meat and food baked in the ashes of fires.
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

                              ...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                What a load of pretentious bollocks! Do people honestly eat that sh*t or put it on display in their homes? I want food dammit, not that overpriced muck!

                                Another sign of their sheer pretention is that they describe everything in French. No disrespect to the French, but this is the ultimate sign of snootiness in our dining establishments...
                                Speaking of Erith:

                                "It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X