David Levine and Michele Boldrin: Economical analysys of MPAA ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course, and that's the way we like it

Why should all movies be dumbed down for the teenager group? If that's pretentious, so be it.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

If you like fluff, you like fluff. If you like movies made for adults, movies that would bore the 8 year old set (as opposed to LOTR and Spider Man), you like movies made for adults.

Nothing "pretentious" about it Asher, just an understanding that there is a qualitative difference between the themes in Chinatown and the themes (such as they were) in Spider Man 2.

Comment

No one said movies have to be dumbed down. But they don't need to be artificially "smart" like the Da Vinci Code was.

I suppose it's nice and hip for the people who don't know much about it, but the "smart" people found it annoyingly inaccurate bull****.

It's a classic example of a pretentious work with pretentious fans without a clue.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
          If you like fluff, you like fluff.
          Aren't you a rabid Buffy fan?

You're part of the demographic that wants dumbed-down movies and TV. Titanic, for example. Buffy, for example.

I bet you watch Survivor and 24, too.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

They're $13 here = $10.40USD.

And stealing implies lost revenue. If movies are only downloaded if you have no intention of ever paying $10.40 with a high chance of feeling ripped off, what is lost?

Think about it.
            Didn't have to spend much time thinking about it.

The lost revenue comes from lost rentals, from when the movie is released on DVD, VHS. If you're not paying $10.40 at the theater to see Action Asher, then you might be willing to pay $4.00 to see it at Blockbuster. Or pay ~$30 for HBO. Or watch it on commercial TV.

If you steal the damned thing, then you aren't going to pay for it at all as it makes its way through the various supply chains.

Comment

If you like fluff, you like fluff. If you like movies made for adults, movies that would bore the 8 year old set (as opposed to LOTR and Spider Man),
              then you watch French films. Problem solved!
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

No one said movies have to be dumbed down. But they don't need to be artificially "smart" like the Da Vinci Code was.

I suppose it's nice and hip for the people who don't know much about it, but the "smart" people found it annoyingly inaccurate bull****.

It's a classic example of a pretentious work with pretentious fans without a clue.
                The Da Vinci code is a piece of pop-culture bull**** with idiots as its fanbase. Anybody who claims its pretentious, or that its audience is pretentious, really needs to stop bringing up examples that they don't understand.

Asher.

Comment

Aren't you a rabid Buffy fan?

You're part of the demographic that wants dumbed-down movies and TV. Titanic, for example. Buffy, for example.

I bet you watch Survivor and 24, too.
                  Oh no! Asher thinks all he doesn't like is beneath contempt!!! Whatsoever shall we do???????

Comment

Actually, an example of that would be Sideways.

Comment

The Da Vinci Code? Pretentious?

Next you'll be telling me Steven King is pretentious!
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

The Da Vinci code is a piece of pop-culture bull**** with idiots as its fanbase. Anybody who claims its pretentious, or that its audience is pretentious, really needs to stop bringing up examples that they don't understand.

Asher.
                        I agree it's a piece of pop-culture bull**** with idiots as its fanbase, but so is Titanic and Buffy.

Da Vinci Code was supposed to be intelligent and original, and it's neither. That's my point. It is pretentious because it tries to be clever, but it's not.

Maybe some people here need to understand what's being said before replying.

JohnT...

Comment

Didn't have to spend much time thinking about it.

The lost revenue comes from lost rentals, from when the movie is released on DVD, VHS. If you're not paying $10.40 at the theater to see Action Asher, then you might be willing to pay $4.00 to see it at Blockbuster. Or pay ~$30 for HBO. Or watch it on commercial TV.
                          Nope, nope, and nope...

If you steal the damned thing, then you aren't going to pay for it at all as it makes its way through the various supply chains.
                          If I have no intention of going to the theatre to see it, nor to rent it, nor to subscribe to crap like HBO...where is the lost revenue?

'cause I'm not seeing it.

Comment

Oh no! Asher thinks all he doesn't like is beneath contempt!!! Whatsoever shall we do???????
                            I'm just saying it cracks me up that you are moaning about the lack of "adult" entertainment when you're notoriously a Buffy and Titanic fanatic.

You're clearly part of the problem...

Comment

Da Vinci Code was supposed to be intelligent and original, and it's neither. That's my point. It is pretentious because it tries to be clever, but it's not.

What?!! The Da Vinci Code is unabashed pop culture. It's a trashy novel with its background being some crazy conspiracy about the Catholic Church. Most novels like that end up mostly being read while people take in some sun at the beach (ie, trashy beach novels). The fact that it's super popular and some uber-atheists believe in the conspiracy doesn't change its character.

Comment

Anyone who was really honest with themselves would admit that they have certain classes of films:
                                1) Films they would pay to see in the theater
                                2) Films they would pay to rent
                                3) HBO or some other premium cable service they pay for that films sometimes show up on
                                4) Films they would completely ignore

The number of people who have only category 1 and 4 are vanishingly small. For everyone else, category 2 and perhaps 3 would result in a loss of revenue if they pirated those films instead.
                                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                                X