No announcement yet.

US to arbitrarily rape Canada to the tune of $250 million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...of course, it won't be completely random.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• The Hibernia platform is 98m x 34m, so that's 1/300 divided by the number of square kilometers in your drop box, assuming a flat distribution.

Infer a 25 km radius drop box from the confusion in the articles, so that's a 2,500 km^2 drop box, resulting in a very rough 1/750,000 chance of striking the platform, about the 1 in a million that the Air Force said it would be inside the drop box.

We can assume that the distribution inside the drop box is not flat and a drop box is rather just a notional convenience. At the outer edges of the drop box, the chances of collision are probably extremely low, so it doesn't surprise me to learn that the chances outside the drop box are even lower.
      Last edited by DanS; April 10, 2005, 20:11.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Silly, silly DanS. If the expected drop zone is 25 km in radius that means that the standard error is on this order. Meaning that the distribution is actually relatively flat at those distances.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• A normal distribution in a variate X with mean mu and variance sigma^2 is a statistic distribution with probability density function P(x)=1/(sigmasqrt(2pi))e^(-(x-mu)^2/(2sigma^2)) (1) on the domain x in (-infty,infty). While statisticians and mathematicians uniformly use the term "normal distribution" for this distribution, physicists sometimes call it a Gaussian distribution and, because of its curved flaring shape, social scientists refer to it as the "bell...
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• like I said: another 20 miles east would make me much more comfortable, dropping the chances of a collision to something well under 1 in a million.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• But you do agree that the 1 in 750,000 squares with what the Air Force said it would be, right?

If the expected drop zone is 25 km in radius that means that the standard error is on this order.
              You're assuming that the drop box radius equals the standard error, right?
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Nope. I'm assuming that they're on the same order. Not exactly the same.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                  Silly, silly DanS. If the expected drop zone is 25 km in radius that means that the standard error is on this order. Meaning that the distribution is actually relatively flat at those distances.
                  Unlikely.

The region within the standard error is likely to be much, much tighter.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• What happened to your 1 in 10,000 or 1 in 20,000 chance of collision earlier in the thread? Are you now agreeing that you were about 2 orders of magnitude off, even assuming the platform is in the drop box, which it isn't?

Comment

• They're cutting it too damn close. The chances of a collision are low, but but not low enough to risk a couple of hundred lives for something which can easily be moved 20 miles. that would change the plane of the orbit by something like a degree.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                        What happened to your 1 in 10,000 or 1 in 20,000 chance of collision earlier in the thread? Are you now agreeing that you were about 2 orders of magnitude off?
                        1.5 or so, actually. A site I'd seen earlier gave the drop radius as 10 km, not 25.

And that's a lot better than the 6 orders of magnitude the Air Force is off by.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk

Unlikely.

The region within the standard error is likely to be much, much tighter.
                          No. The standard is generally 2 sigma
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• The risk to the cavalry is acceptable. Agreed?

Comment

• No it isn't. You guys are being dicks about this. We'll remember.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• 20 km East puts your cities along the coast in greater danger. We're picking your risks carefully, Canuck.

Comment

Working...
                                X