X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Sense A Problem With The Force

'Star Wars' fans line up at wrong theater for May debut

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - "Star Wars" fans will have to find the right theater before they can leave for the dark side.

Seven weeks before its release, "Star Wars" fanatics started lining up outside Grauman's Chinese Theater for the sixth installment of the popular George Lucas movie series. The vigil began Saturday.

But there's a problem: "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith" won't be showing at the Hollywood landmark when the movie is released May 19. Twentieth Century Fox opted instead to open the film a mile southeast at the ArcLight theater.

Still, the resolute "Star Wars" die-hards aren't moving on. Beneath a makeshift awning, 11 people refused to relinquish their spots in line.

"We've heard all this before," fan Sarah Sprague said, noting there were plenty of rumors in 1999 and 2002 that previous "Star Wars" movies weren't opening at the Chinese Theater. The rumors were false and the films were shown at the Chinese.

Fox and the ArcLight haven't completed their "Star Wars" deal, but executives on both sides told Daily Variety "Revenge of the Sith" will play at the ArcLight and not the Chinese.

Yet Sprague was adamant the line wouldn't be moving to the ArcLight.

"This is still the epicenter for 'Star Wars' fans. For the big iconic pictures of the 1970s, people lining up were here. They weren't at the Cinerama Dome (at the ArcLight)," Sprague said.

Lucas' final "Star Wars" chapter spells out the last dark steps the once goodhearted young Anakin Skywalker takes to become the villain Darth Vader.

Geeks!

Link
    Monkey!!!

7weeks!!!

Comment

@ geeks
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I have never insisted on beig among the first to see a major new movie. About the closest I've come is for the Book of Mormon movie, I saw it in the theater the first weekend it showed here and there was of course hardly anyone there. That was to be expected, although I'm glad I went, and I still like that movie. If you're gonna be religious about a movie, maybe it should at least be a religious one? I think Samuel Jackson or someone needs to go on SNL or something and tell people to get a life. If these people are just worried about someone spoiling the movie for them, maybe instead they should wait to see if their friends think it's a good movie before going out of their way to see it?

Comment

The only religious movie I could be persuaded to line up for would be a sequel to Life of Brian.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

these people make geeks look bad.

I hate it when popular tv shows showcase these guys as nerds and geeks. Real nerds watch star trek not star wars.

Comment

I hope Triumph goes and interviews them.
              Monkey!!!

Comment

What do you call obsessive Starwoids if not geeks or nerds? Botth SW and SW are equally good and equally worthwhile. Star Wars (the movies anyway, so far anyway) tends to be cleaner and better done, but Star Trek is more intelligent and has deeper meaning.

Comment

Lining up seven weeks ahead of time? I don't know what to say.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Reminds me of this great video

We should form a gang just to beat up on people who line up like that.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

No one lines up for seven weeks to buy Civ games...

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                        We should form a gang just to beat up on people who line up like that.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Brent
                          No one lines up for seven weeks to buy Civ games...
                          That's because people who play civ don't leave their home. They will pre-order it online a year in advance, however.
                          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd

That's because people who play civ don't leave their home. They will pre-order it online a year in advance, however.
                            and they continue to post in a Civ related bulletin boards for years and years... freaks.

Comment

this is a civ site!?
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X