MLB: Opening Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On SI, it is the Atlanta Braves.

Well, don't forget they're part of the same corporate empire.

And with the third best record in the majors, it's not as if SI is wasting their space on a non-contender.

Comment

30 games aint enough, the sox spent their first 90 games right around .500 and ended up winning the series.
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

30 games into the 2003 season, the Marlins were looking at firing their manager. 15-odd games later, with the team 10 games under .500, they did it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
          30 games aint enough, the sox spent their first 90 games right around .500 and ended up winning the series.
          Make that the "RED" sox.

We are not talking here about THAT team. But I understand your confusion given the media blackout on the WHITE Sox.
          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

yeah i know, i was talking about the red sox. if they can do it, anyone can. thats why 30 games in a season aint enough
            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

27-9, lead in all 36 games, extending their major league record. This is the best start in baseball history by that measure, and one of the best ever based on W/L percentages.

The Sox are starting to get some coverage, especially their starting pitching. But still, most coverage is of the Yankees as most "observers" said the Sox haven't played anybody good.

Well, in the last two days they took two from the Orioles, who came to town with the second best record in baseball. They have also taken two series from the Twins, who also own one of the best records.

The season is still early, but the Sox look like the best team in baseball this year.

Betcha the get no All Stars.
              http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                Betcha the get no All Stars.
                I guarantee that they have one at least

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel

I guarantee that they have one at least
                  True, picked by the managers, such as a pitcher or four. But no player voted in by the fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned

True, picked by the managers, such as a pitcher or four. But no player voted in by the fans.
                    Well, the fans always make stupid choices.

I wouldn't be suprised if Bonds isn't the NL's LF.

Haven't they made changes in voting to balance things out, and make worthy participants more likely to attend?

Comment

• Well, no White Sox or Twin or Ranger is anywhere near the top in All Star balloting, yet these three teams are No. 1, 4 and 5 in the current SI power rankings.

Go figure.

The AL All Star rankings are dominated by the Yanks, Orioles and Red Sox.

Those teams must have terrible pitiching if they have the best on-the-field players and still rank far below the White Sox, Twins and Rangers in the power ratings.

There is another possibility, though: The baseball press is dominated by Eastern media.

Comment

• Another explination may be that the Yankees have ALWAYS been in the limelight and have gone deep in the playoffs every year since 1997. The Red Sox won the World Series last year. No reason they aren't dominating in all stars.

As for the Orioles, are you kidding me, Ned? You want to play up this Eastern bias that you forget that the O's are only 3 games behind the White Sox, and the 2nd best team in the AL. The O's also have former MVP's Tejada and Sosa which will bad their numbers. And for all your grumbling the O's only lead in TWO positions and Roberts (who deserves an MVP spot) is barely above Soriano.

Besides, these are the fans voting. They have Nomar as the #1 NL Shortstop and he's from Chicago. And Ken Griffey, Jr. as OF, and he's from Cincy.

Oh, and Paul Konerko is 3rd in 1B voting. That's close, and I don't really know of any other White Sox position player that deserves to start in the All Star game aside from Konerko.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• the sox DO have terrible pitching. Fatty fat fat Wells has an ERA the size of the price of dozen donuts. Foulke's ERA is big enough to vote.

Comment

• I'm designing a line of "Theo Epstein SUCKS" apparel, in honor of his brilliant move in not retaining Pedro over nothing more consequential than who'd have the trigger on the option year.
                            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• mid atlantic Annus Mirabilis?

The Orioles are still in first in the AL East, and Nationals are still above .500. I dont have the baseball attention span to follow TWO teams, and i'm conflicted.

But I suppose one or the other will fall apart before too long.
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• The O's.
                                When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Working...
                                X