No announcement yet.

MLB: Opening Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Braves seem to have what was needed a bunch of times, they just hit a mental block in the playoffs. Their pitchers did not replicate their regular season success.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

maariano, we've got your number - uh oh, yanks cant hold leads anymore. especially with F Rod in the pen, the man who ALL BY HIMSELF, cost us the 2002 world series against the monkeys.

with two guys down, torre has to rely on Tanyon Sturtze (haha) or Flash ' I puke in the bullpen before coming out to face the sox' Gorden to save games against the mightly sox. and thats not gonna happen.

expect to see the Big Ugly melt down at the relief pitchers, and the $25 million man schrew up, as he says, again. ' i schrewed up about as bad you as can on that play.'
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

In the end though, the only numbers that count are

Yankees 2-1
        Red Sox 1-2

That said, there are 159 games left so it is far too early for either side to gloat or make serious predictions
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

acutally, thats a common misconceptiion - we got to rivera twice, and he got bailed out once. captain america wont be there everytime to bail him out, and its not gonna happen. therefore, while the yanks escaped with two wins, it sets a bad omen for the future, when they might head into a 4 game series in the bronx, and walk out with no wins, with rivera having blown 4 consecutive saves against the sox.

and remember, this is a red sox team whose top hitter, manny, has a .233 average against the yankees in the last 10 games (before this series) with one RBI.
          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            The Braves have to lose the division at some time (it can't go on forever), and they look the weakest now than they have since 1991.
            Ya know... the experts have been saying that for years... and try to prove just how "expert" they are by picking somebody else... and looking stupid at the end of the year when Atlanta does it again

I'm to the point where I say... I'll believe them lossing the division when I see it... you can't count them out just because they have are the defending champs
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
              Ya know... the experts have been saying that for years... and try to prove just how "expert" they are by picking somebody else... and looking stupid at the end of the year when Atlanta does it again

I'm to the point where I say... I'll believe them lossing the division when I see it... you can't count them out just because they have are the defending champs
              So you think they will win the division forever?
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Tonight's White Sox-Twins game features two of the best pictures in the game, Buehrle and Santana. The Sox are off to a very good start, have received quality starts from all five starters and have beaten the Twins twice in Minneapolis. Their only loss came after a blown save by their closer who gave up three homers in the 9th. As a result, the Sox are tied with two other teams for the best record in the majors at 4-1.
                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

im 1/3 IP behind vlad. i need yhency to pitch at least an out to catch up!

does anyone know hank aarons, barry bonds, ted williams, and babe ruths yearly home run production adjusted for ballpark?

Comment

Actually, Ruth's home run record is fabulous considering he did it in an age without weight training.
                    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                      Actually, Ruth's home run record is fabulous considering he did it in an age without weight training.
                      He also did it in an age when probably a 1/3rd of the best players in baseball were kept out of the game by enforced segregation.

Comment

He also did it in an age when probably a 1/3rd of the best players in baseball were kept out of the game by enforced segregation.

There was also 1/2 as many teams. But you could argue baseball eras all day.
                        Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

True, but I think that supports my argument that Ruth's HR record isn't really more impressive than Aaron's because he was in another era.

Comment

I would agree for Hank, but I think Bond's, McGwire's, Sosa's numbers are a little bit cheaper.

BTW you picked an awesome game to go to.
                            Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

I would agree for Hank, but I think Bond's, McGwire's, Sosa's numbers are a little bit cheaper.

I don't. If Ruth faced pitchers like Satchel Paige, John Donaldson, Nip Winters, Joe Rogan, etc. maybe he wouldn't have put up as high numbers. At the same time with Josh Gibson, Oscar Charleston, Buck Leonard, etc, Ruth's numbers may have been eclipsed during the era he played in.

Also in the 50s and 60s, most players took speed (amphetamines). So, no, 90s players are in no way cheaper.

Yep .

And my team won!

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

I don't. If Ruth faced pitchers like Satchel Paige, John Donaldson, Nip Winters, Joe Rogan, etc. maybe he wouldn't have put up as high numbers. At the same time with Josh Gibson, Oscar Charleston, Buck Leonard, etc, Ruth's numbers may have been eclipsed during the era he played in.

Also in the 50s and 60s, most players took speed (amphetamines). So, no, 90s players are in no way cheaper.

Yep .

And my team won!

Yep, they left Smoltz in one inning too long.

ACK!
                                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                                X