Hanoi Jane says she's sorry for sitting on NVA AA gun during Vietnam war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Maybe for Americans, who have a much more fluid idea of nationalism. But the Chinese still spoke Chinese, considered themselves Chinese and were considered by others to be Chinese.
    Not the ones that have formed communities in many Canadian cities, and some American ones from what I've read.

They are Vietnamese.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

I wonder when Ned's gonna get it through his head that this didn't happen.
      Che, POW's who were there and saw it happen remain liars, then, just as Jane has repeatedly said, and as all good commies continue to say about anyone who challenges their self-assumed, godlike virtue.
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
        They fled after the fall of Saigon, but nice try anyway.
        Actually no.

Originally posted by notyoueither
        They kept trying to get out for a long while. Then policies in Western nations changed from open doors to ambivalence if not hostility.
        That's because they weren't getting persecuted as asserted.

Even then, there are still people trying to get out, but they are using normal immigration.
        People leave various countries for others all the time.

It's China that now has people desperate enough to flee that they could be called boat people.
        Com'on, tell me more about these "boat people." I am listening.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger
          Well [ahem], when I was in Shanghai last year, one woman asked me to take her to America so she could be my "girlfriend."

Comment

Maritime Smuggling of Illegal Migrants CIB Report — September 1999
            Criminal Intelligence Directorate
            Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Background

Maritime smuggling is not a new phenomenon, however, this year has been marked with an increase of maritime smuggling in many countries around the world including Canada, the United States and Australia.

Canadian Situation

The most recent incidents of marine arrivals off the British Columbia coast are not the first illegal migrants that Canada received from PRC by the sea. Since July 20, 1999, Canadian authorities have intercepted four ships which were attempting to smuggle 617 Chinese illegal migrants from the Fujian province into this country through British Columbia. There are also indications that a ship spotted and believed to have sunk in early July 1999 had succeeded in off-loading illegal migrants on the west coast.

On July 20, 1999 a first vessel was intercepted off Nootka Sound, Vancouver Islands with 123 illegal migrants onboard. Currently 37 are in custody and 86 have been released. Out of those 86, CIC had to issue Canadian-wide arrest warrants for 37 who failed to appear for refugee claim appointments.

On August 11, 1999 a second ship was intercepted off Kunghit Island with 131 illegal migrants onboard. Currently 34 children in the care of the Ministry of Children and Families. The ship's nine South Korean crewmembers have been charged under section 94.4 of Immigration Act for off-loading at sea.

On August 31, 1999 the third ship was intercepted off Esperanza Inlet, Vancouver Island with 190 illegal migrants on board. 182 people are being held at CFB Esquimalt on Vancouver Island and another eight at the Vancouver Island Regional Correctional Centre.

On September 9, 1999 a fourth ship was intercepted 30 kilometres off the coast of British Columbia. This ship contained 163 illegal migrants from the PRC. In contrast to a fishing vessel used in the previous operations, this smuggling operation used a freighter.
            Who Is Involved?

Organized crime groups have provided various services ranging from safehouses to smuggling migrants to the US. Criminal organizations have also been known to involve illegal migrants in their illicit enterprises, as drug couriers or prostitutes for example.

Ships and Sea Routing

The ships which are used in maritime smuggling are usually former fishing vessels, although freighters and containers have also been used. These ships are readily available throughout Asia (eg. Taiwan, Japan, Philippines) and usually have no markings such as flags, numbers, a name or home port markings.

Cooperation Between Canada and the PRC on the Issue of Maritime Smuggling

Following the summer's events, the PRC has agreed to work with Canadian authorities to crack down on human smuggling syndicates that have been sending boatloads of illegal migrants to British Columbia's shores. This cooperation will occur under a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) aimed at battling organized crime that was signed between the two countries in April 1999. This MOU will allow Canadian investigators to travel to the Fujian province to collaborate with Chinese authorities to track down the leaders of the syndicates which are involved in the smuggling operations.

Implications for Canada

Even if the boat is intercepted at sea by Canadian authorities or illegal migrants are arrested on Canadian shore, they can still make refugee claims and eventually obtain refugee status. Clearly, Canadian interceptions at sea do not deter smuggling organizations. They only slow down smuggling operations, at no significant cost to organizers.

The spectacular arrival of so many illegal migrants in such a short period of time has more than an immediate impact on the credibility and integrity of Canadian immigration policies. Travel debts contracted by illegal migrants often make them dependent on criminal organizations in Canada. They create situations in which illegal migrants are drawn into criminal activity within this country.

It is believed that many of the illegal migrants who arrived in Canada by ship this summer actually had the United States as their final destination. In this respect, the arrival of illegal migrants to British Columbia is not only a Canadian problem. It is a North American problem which will have an impact on relations between Canada and the United States.

Recent events suggest that illegal migrant smugglers are getting bolder. Arrivals from different staging points are possible with migrants coming from other countries in Asia and Africa.

People must be really pleased with where they live if they are willing to be crammed into a cargo container and shipped to North America.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• communism sucks, just watch people vote with their feet...that is if they are allowed to leave...

Comment

• Originally posted by Zkribbler
                Well [ahem], when I was in Shanghai last year, one woman asked me to take her to America so she could be my "girlfriend."
                Was she beautiful?
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                  People must be really pleased with where they live if they are willing to be crammed into a cargo container and shipped to North America.
                  I am sure they are, considering the number of people leaving are extremely small.

Should I remind you that there are 1.3 billion people in China?

Comment

• People having themselves shipped out as sea cargo can be understood if only there are enough people? What, is this a rat like syndrome?
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      Again, you're blaming the North for what turned out to mainly be an unjustified fear

They were not responsible for the majority of civilian deaths in that conflict. They weren't a genocidal regime (like, say, the Khmer Rouge, or Mao's or Stalin's). The fact that a ****load of people freaked out and decided to go grab free citizenship in the US can't be blamed on them.
                      No, the vast majority of the exodus occurred after the North won the war. In the case of the ethnic Chinese there is considerable evidence of a purposeful effort on the part of the Communist government to both allow and "encourage" (through ill-treatment and discrimination) people to sell all of their property (at fire sale prices) in order to purchase passage on a leaky boat to who knows where. Part of the price included bribes to the correct officials of course, lest the coastal patrol take the overloaded refugee boat as a pirate or a smuggler.
                      He's got the Midas touch.
                      But he touched it too much!
                      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

People trying to run away from a war, what a shocking revelation.
                        Well they sure as hell ran like hell from the communists, and for good reason. Experience of the Viet Cong didn't exactly inspire confidence, though thankfully the VC was all but eliminated by 1970 or so. The NVA was a lot more disciplined, but the average civilian had no contact with them until 1975.

Of course the vast majority of the international exodus occurred after the communists were firmly in power. I know a number of people who fled Vietnam in the late 1970s, and they fled because it was made clear to them that there was no future in Vietnam for them. So clear that they took considerable risks to flee.

Comment

Stange that there aren't any more boat people these days, while the "one-party dictatorship" is still firmly in place.

Something doesn't add up.
                          Yea, the purge of ethnic Chinese and former RVN elements has been completed, and as it's considered bad form to force people to walk the plank these days the communists have mellowed a bit. Of course they couldn't hold a candle to the PRC's proxies in Cambodia the Khmer Rouge in terms of brutality.

Btw, the first boat people I ever saw in my life were from the PRC. There were many thousands of them in hong Kong.

Comment

• Oh, and a little more on topic, Hanoi Jane is simply an idiot with a weak sense of self who mostly goes along with what her boyfriend / husband tells her. I mean, what sane and self-respecting person would marry both Tom Hadyn and The Mouth of the South. Both of them are perpetual self-aggrandizers, and the only people who can stand to be with them are perpetual enablers like Fonda.

Comment

• man arrested for spitting on Jane Fonda.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dissident
                                man arrested for spitting on Jane Fonda.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050420/D89JEL2O0.html
                                I would not have done that. I do not like her, so I would just stay home. If I ever encounter her in public, I will just look for second and then shake my head no, and move on. She is not worth going to jail over.

Comment

Working...
                                X