Schiavo Pt. Four

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ned
    Apparently you can destroy brain matter, but the functions previously performed by the destroyed tissue can be assumed by other tissue.
    That depends on how much of the brain is left. If her whole cerebral cortex hadn't been destroyed, this might have been possible.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaguar
      DIE THREAD
      Is this one of those occasions when one gets to say, "Own goal"?
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

That depends on how much of the brain is left. If her whole cerebral cortex hadn't been destroyed, this might have been possible.
        Some people are born like that - should they be starved to death too?
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
          The brains have to want to regenerate.
          to your outstanding grasp of biology

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

I think we ultimately end up with a "quality of life" determination by the family and the courts. If you read the judge's multiple opinions in this case, it is clear that "quality of life" was the gravamon of the decision by the court.

This descision can quickly be extended to situations where the person, under no terminal disease, cannot live a "normal" life. Severely handicapped or retarded people, or those suffering severe chronic pain, will be next.

But you say, those cases do no involve withdrawing a feeding tube. True, but this case did more than just withdraw a feeding tube, did it not? The court's order actively prevented anyone from giving Terri food or water by other means.
            Last edited by Ned; April 2, 2005, 11:19.
            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• yeah I think we're on a slippery slope here
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I don't think anyone's endorsing starvation, dip****.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

yeah I think we're on a slippery slope here
                  A slope of conseravtive stupidity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

to your outstanding grasp of biology
                    Yeah, well you know if they don't regenerate they must not want to really. That's perfect logic.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

This descision can quickly be extended to situations where the person, under no terminal disease, cannot live a "normal" life. Severely handicapped or retarded people, or those suffering severe chronic pain, will be next.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

yeah I think we're on a slippery slope here
                        I hate that term. It doesn't apply here. Common sense will win out. Do you all think americans will stand idly by while the goverment slaughters millions of disabled people?

and don't go on about the nazis. If people can't see the difference between nazi germany and the U.S., then they belong in a concentration camp . Freedom of press and speech will ensure every single death is known to every american.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dissident

I hate that term. It doesn't apply here. Common sense will win out. Do you all think americans will stand idly by while the goverment slaughters millions of disabled people?

and don't go on about the nazis. If people can't see the difference between nazi germany and the U.S., then they belong in a concentration camp . Freedom of press and speech will ensure every single death is known to every american.
                          Government?

No, their relatives. It is just a matter of time. The Supremes in Cruzan and other cases held there was a "liberty" right under the Due Process Clause that prevented states from placing bans on relatives who wanted to pull the plug on their incapacitated family members. What happened in Florida was worse than just pulling the plug, as we all know. The Florida courts there ordered that neither the parents or anyone else could provide food and water to Terri. The Federal Courts seems more than uninterested. They seem downright hostile to reviewing the Florida case.

I understand that the Oregon statute that permits assisted suicide is going to be reviewed by the Supremes. Now, given the apathy of the Court in the Schiavo case, how do you think they will come out in that case?
                          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Q Cubed, your bit about the brain "regenerating" is something I didn't know about until a doctor called into a talk show today and explained the phenomenon. Apparently you can destroy brain matter, but the functions previously performed by the destroyed tissue can be assumed by other tissue. Also, this ability declines with age. But Terri was 26 when the event happened, which might be young enough.

it's young enough to regenerate some of its functions... or it would be, if her enough of her cortex remained.

the one flaw to your bizarre hope in this case is the simple fact that there really wasn't enough of her cortex to rewire and assume such function--and the other parts, such as the cerebellum and the medulla, are incapable of assuming higher consciousness.
                            B♭3

Comment

• I don't have a problem with people defending that someone should not be assisted to die. Only when it doesn't include everyone, you and me. Just some people. THat is.. h y p o c ... you know the rest.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I understand that the Oregon statute that permits assisted suicide is going to be reviewed by the Supremes. Now, given the apathy of the Court in the Schiavo case, how do you think they will come out in that case?
                                I'm hopeing it will be a victory to those of us who think poeple should be allowed to live and die with dignity instead of being forced to remain alive to satisfy some religious person's emotions.

Comment

Working...
                                X