Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Good Are Morales, Values, Discipline, etc in Modern Society?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with JohnT ( ). You need to live in a decent city, see what the places are about and hell, have a bit of fun

Oh, and if you ever put a flagpole like that next to my house you'd notice that there'd be one hell of a bonfire going on and no flagpole in sight
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
      Fact is, very few people with "class" are going to live in a place where the smell of dead whale is a permament fixture and the average yearly temperature is 15.3 F

Classy Inuit say 'Come up here and say that.'
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Burning giant flags
        Alaska
        Family
        Getting laid more
        Morality
        Having too many kids
        Working too much
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

IMO, those that think it is possible for the net morality of a civilization to be better or worse than it was 100 years ago or even earlier, are niave. I believe in "conservation of morality" - simply put that the total amount of morality of a civilization is conserved. We don't actually "improve" our net amount of morals, but it can shuffle around.
          "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
          "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
          Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Any reason why Bill3000?

Comment

Space, what prompted you to think that?
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Because the external dM/dt of civilization is zero?

BEcause if you look at the changing morals of s ociety, certtain things have been previously thought to be moral in the past but can be considered perverse today, while at the same time things in the past weren't considered moral back then but is now.

For example, the concept of homosexuality in ancient greece and, uh, man-boy love. On the other hand, the ancient greeks thought there were only one gender and that women were basically deformed men, et cetera.

Or in the middle ages, the moral rights religion and its dogma had, compared to an individualist/iconoclast point of view.
                "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Bill3000
                  For example, the concept of homosexuality in ancient greece and, uh, man-boy love. On the other hand, the ancient greeks thought there were only one gender and that women were basically deformed men, et cetera.
                  But isn't there more tolerance since the dark ages? Don't you think there will be in the future or do you think things will go in reverse?

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

But isn't there more tolerance since the dark ages? Don't you think there will be in the future or do you think things will go in reverse?
                    The nature of tolerance is part of human nature. Unless we literally evolve ourselves and change our minds, then no. Some groups previously thought to be "good" in the past had been shunned later on, and honestly, there is still a lot of distolerance today even though apprently we are supposed to be a more tolerant society. So I'd say that we arn't more tolerant than before; if we are, it's such a miniscule amount that it really isn't noticable.

It's not a matter of reversal, it's a matter of shuffling, really. Hypocrisy of humanity will prevent full tolerance, basically.

Comment

what a waste of a thread
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Sava, not really. Listen to Space. He is trapped in small town life, in an area that really does not share his values. Listen, and have some compassion. Having been trapped in an abusive home because someone had to take care of my dying mother I know how badly it sucks.

Space, besides the military, which is an impulse/easy way out, do you REALLY have a plan to get out of Barrow? Seriously. You don't like it there, and it is eating at you. Maybe consider getting some technical training that will get you out, even if it is a job you don't like. For example, LPN training can be as short as a year, and you can work almost anywhere in the United States.

Make a plan, and then follow through. Do you have friends/family in another part of the US? Maybe you could relocate and then start working from that. How about some of the drek summer jobs, like processing fish, and then saving up a next egg? If you do nothing, you will end up trapped in Barrow. Research, make a plan, and GET OUT.
                        The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                        And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                        Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                        Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

To be fair shawn his options are limited for getting out in the present situation. Much as I hate to say it the military may provide him with those opportunities he would need to sort out his education and get out of that area of the world. Unless you can think of an organisation better at providing this within the US of course...
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                            To be fair shawn his options are limited for getting out in the present situation. Much as I hate to say it the military may provide him with those opportunities he would need to sort out his education and get out of that area of the world. Unless you can think of an organisation better at providing this within the US of course...
                            means don't justify the ends

Comment

Summer's coming up. Hitchhike outta there. Hope you don't get eaten by a bear while doing it, though.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

means don't justify the ends
                                True, but I also hate to think of him being stuck in this rut indefinitely, it's enough to drive a man insane...
                                Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Working...
                                X