Sharon:1 Democracy:0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharon:1 Democracy:0

And again Ariel Sharon won. TOday knesset voted 39 for, 72 against.
    money sqrt evil;
    My literacy level are appalling.

Huh?
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

didn't Sharon just win in a democratic vote in the parliament?

Some things that need to be considered, though:

a) Sharon did run on a completely different platform than what he's suggesting. In fact, he hijacked his opponent's political plan, while following his own economic plan.
      b) What's done is unethical, anyway. The most ethical solution is to leave the settlements behind. I won't burn any rubber, etc., since the protesters are a bunch of bastards, but that's a different question.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel

didn't Sharon just win in a democratic vote in the parliament?

Some things that need to be considered, though:

a) Sharon did run on a completely different platform than what he's suggesting. .
        IIUC the folks who keep saying that arent terribly interested in a new election though.

Sharon
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
          Huh?
          They rejected a plan to hold a referendum on Gaza.
          "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

nothing more than an ad-hominem. The fact that the statement is hypocritical from them doen't make the statement untrue.

Sharon, on all political fronts
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

nothing more than an ad-hominem. The fact that the statement is hypocritical from them doen't make the statement untrue.

Sharon, on all political fronts

It makes it irrelevant. Sharon won with a strategy that seemed to be the best at the time of the election, given circumstances at that time. While some of his voters may have been ideologically averse to land for peace, many undoubtedly saw no opening for it then, and trusted Sharon to hold on for a better deal than Barak or Mitzna, the latter of whom wanted to negotiate with Arafat, IIUC.

Now Arafat is dead, the US is in Iraq, and the geopolitical situation is different - but the long term strategic/demographic dilemma remains. Polls indicate that in THESE circumstances the maj of Israelis, including many who voted for Sharon before, IIUC, support the new approach. The reluctance of the right opposition to take on Sharon at the ballot box supports that, ISTM.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

a) Sharon did run on a completely different platform than what he's suggesting. In fact, he hijacked his opponent's political plan, while following his own economic plan.

Leaders shouldn't be flexible, and should follow years old platform in light of a change in circumstances?
                "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Leaders shouldn't be flexible, and should follow years old platform in light of a change in circumstances?

Ugh, what change in circumstances? the plan was started much before Arafat was dead ( and lately, I've seen no good signs from the other side, in any case)

It makes it irrelevant. Sharon won with a strategy that seemed to be the best at the time of the election, given circumstances at that time. While some of his voters may have been ideologically averse to land for peace, many undoubtedly saw no opening for it then, and trusted Sharon to hold on for a better deal than Barak or Mitzna, the latter of whom wanted to negotiate with Arafat, IIUC.

Now Arafat is dead, the US is in Iraq, and the geopolitical situation is different - but the long term strategic/demographic dilemma remains. Polls indicate that in THESE circumstances the maj of Israelis, including many who voted for Sharon before, IIUC, support the new approach. The reluctance of the right opposition to take on Sharon at the ballot box supports that, ISTM.

I don't think that the right would mind an election right now. I actually don't know where you take it from. ( After all, they did push the referendum, so I assume they expect a success in the polls ).

I just loved that piece of legislation because it's about time we had some more direct democracy here.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Edan
                    Flip-flopper!
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Ugh, what change in circumstances? the plan was started much before Arafat was dead ( and lately, I've seen no good signs from the other side, in any case)
                      Sure, but there are changes from that plan and the current one - that one was unilateral and would have assumed no cooperation by the PA.

I don't think that the right would mind an election right now. I actually don't know where you take it from.
                      Could they really gain more seats? They did pretty damn good last time, and with Labor more willing to work with Sharon, traditional labor/moderate voters who voted for likud last time would be more willilling to vote for labor.

( After all, they did push the referendum, so I assume they expect a success in the polls ).
                      Not necessarilly - it could just be a desperate attempt to stall a plan and present some opposition. I suppose it's possible that it could energize them relative to most of the population, but I'm skeptical they could win a referendum and seriously doubt they could do better in an election, especially since Likuds big win last time was done at the expense of Labor.

Comment

Sure, but there are changes from that plan and the current one - that one was unilateral and would have assumed no cooperation by the PA.

There are no substantial changes in the plan, vis a vis the palestinians.

Could they really gain more seats? They did pretty damn good last time, and with Labor more willing to work with Sharon, traditional labor/moderate voters who voted for likud last time would be more willilling to vote for labor

Not necessarilly - it could just be a desperate attempt to stall a plan and present some opposition. I suppose it's possible that it could energize them relative to most of the population, but I'm skeptical they could win a referendum and seriously doubt they could do better in an election, especially since Likuds big win last time was done at the expense of Labor.

the amount of votes labor lost to the Likud is insignificant in Likud's win: it's major victory was over Shas, and the new immigrant parties. Labor's votes went to Shinui.
                        Last edited by Az; March 28, 2005, 15:43.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

He only likes votes which fit his ideological agenda.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

There are no substantial changes in the plan, vis a vis the palestinians.
                            You mean Palestinian security forces would be working with Israel to try to prevent terrorist attacks if Arafat were still in power?

the amount of votes labor losed to the Likud is insignificant in Likud's win: it's major victory was over Shas, and the new immigrant parties. Labor's votes went to Shinui.
                            You're right.

Can Likud gain any seats? Do they risk losing some back to Shas?

Comment

I don't think that the right would mind an election right now. I actually don't know where you take it from. ( After all, they did push the referendum, so I assume they expect a success in the polls ).

The israeli papers i see (JP, Haaretz for the most part) seem to indicate that Sharon has kept the Likud backbenchers in line cause theyre afraid of an election. Oddly they seem to indicate that Shas AND Shinui share that fear (no i havent heard that NRP or National Union fear an election - sorry if i indicated otherwise) Am i misled?

Comment

Working...
                              X