No announcement yet.

IQ differences and racism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Kidicious on my ignore list? He wasn't there yesterday?
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Situation rectified. He was alone there, except for Bob Dornan and that's not a fate I'd inflict on anyone.
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• You clicked a link that KH posted.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

I'll take my Anthrology professors word for it. He taught us that there is no such thing as actual race, and therefore there is no difference in intellegence between "races." I've always been satisfied with that and I've never had a reason to question it. Why should I?
          But why do you have a problem with other people questioning it? Were not all lucky enough to have been exposed to the dogma of your 'Anthrology' professor.

Comment

• I think Q Cubed is trying to see how many times he can brag about being asian without people getting upset. You can do it forever because no one cares. People only get offended when white people brag about being white.

Not really. I've actually managed to brag about being white in places where being white isn't too beneficial.

'Course, it also helps that I don't look white.

RICE CRACKAS REPREZENT!

Asians.

(And I'm not bragging, I'm just having fun here.)
            B♭3

Comment

• Anthropology, if it can't explain something there are clearly no differences. Say if anthropology can't explain why some "races" have certain different facial (or other) features, they don't exist. Keep saying that.

Where did I say that? I said that John's "logic," that just because there's variation between "races" in things like skin color means that there's variation in intelligence is absurd.

Biology can easily explain differing facial characteristics: genetic drift, which is fairly important since these characteristics are controlled by a relatively small number of genes (unlike intelligence). And you very well may have a gradient in selective pressures on facial characteristics - certain nose geometries may be slightly more efficient in breathing, for instance.
              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
              -Bokonon

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Cubed
                I think Q Cubed is trying to see how many times he can brag about being asian without people getting upset. You can do it forever because no one cares. People only get offended when white people brag about being white.

Not really. I've actually managed to brag about being white in places where being white isn't too beneficial.

'Course, it also helps that I don't look white.

RICE CRACKAS REPREZENT!

Asians.

(And I'm not bragging, I'm just having fun here.)
                I know. Me too.

Comment

• Originally posted by reds4ever
                  But why do you have a problem with other people questioning it? Were not all lucky enough to have been exposed to the dogma of your 'Anthrology' professor.
                  I don't really, but a lot of the people who do these studies are clearly racist, like the people who wrote the Bell Curve. The Bell Curve is nothing but racist propaganda under the cover of scientific study.

Comment

• I don't really, but a lot of the people who do these studies are clearly racist, like the people who wrote the Bell Curve. The Bell Curve is nothing but racist propaganda under the cover of scientific study.

How so?
                    B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Cubed
                      I don't really, but a lot of the people who do these studies are clearly racist, like the people who wrote the Bell Curve. The Bell Curve is nothing but racist propaganda under the cover of scientific study.

How so?
                      It was just a repeat of studies that were already been proven wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Having fun with your strawman?

There is a difference between arguing for a "blank slate" and disagreeing with "biology is destiny."
                        I never said Biology is Destiny. BOTH have an influence, often in suprising and counterintuitive ways. If genetics is destiny, then the viruses, which only have a handful of genes, must be the J. S. Mills of Biology.

Middle ground:

B@stards who wrote The Bell Curve:

Comment

• I don't see why this issue needs to be discussed. There are some things better left unresearched. This is why no one is going studies on race and intelligence. It will just make people feel bad about themselves, and promote racism.

Comment

• It was just a repeat of studies that were already been proven wrong.

Never read the Bell Curve. I initially read it as you complaining about the statistical concept "the bell curve".
                            B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramo

Anthropology, if it can't explain something there are clearly no differences. Say if anthropology can't explain why some "races" have certain different facial (or other) features, they don't exist. Keep saying that.

Where did I say that? I said that John's "logic," that just because there's variation between "races" in things like skin color means that there's variation in intelligence is absurd.

Biology can easily explain differing facial characteristics: genetic drift, which is fairly important since these characteristics are controlled by a relatively small number of genes (unlike intelligence). And you very well may have a gradient in selective pressures on facial characteristics - certain nose geometries may be slightly more efficient in breathing, for instance.
                              I happen to agree with him and it's not "logic" it's just logic Ramo. Not focus on the skin color but the point. "My take is this: since intelligence is partly/largely/totally determined by genetics (as is skin color, hair, resistance to diseases, etc), then it is likely that there are measurable differences between the various races. However, the difference will be so small (and, with all the interbreeding going on in the modern world, constantly shrinking) that it will matter little except for pride. "
                              I wouldn't say I agree about the "measurable" part thought, I wouldn't know enough about it, but who does really. Just because he uses variances that are so easily dismissed by your beliefs doesn't mean there are others that can't simply be explained away.
                              Also, may have x2, breathing, that's it? Don't concentrate on the face let alone nose, that's not all. Hell I wouldn't even know half, I bet nobody knows all. Yes we should both know they all can't be explained.

Comment

• boo asians.
                                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                                X