Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another means of population control for China?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, they are spending too much money else where, when they should be spending it treating water.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

"cepting that given a free country the likelihood of reform as the horrors of the devastation become self evident is easier than say in a repressive authoritarian state who's primary perhaps even sole concern is the welfare of the state machinery.

Ohh and by the way, Yay, Kyoto Treaty for rewarding this behavior!!!
      Not necessarily.

An authoriatarina gov't can respond quickly to a problem, if it chooses to address it, much more faster than say a government controlled by rich corporations.
      Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
        Yes, they are spending too much money else where, when they should be spending it treating water.
        So you would take money from health services and schools and launch on a binge of water treatment plants?

China has a lot of problems with pollution. It is dealing with it, but the problem won't be solved overnight. Having said that, I would agree in general that clean water is a basic right and it should be a priority.
        Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
          So you would take money from health services and schools and launch on a binge of water treatment plants?

China has a lot of problems with pollution. It is dealing with it, but the problem won't be solved overnight. Having said that, I would agree in general that clean water is a basic right and it should be a priority.
          It's simple. You tax the poluters and you use the proceeds to clean up the polution. And from what I read they aren't dealing with the problem in any real way. Look at Dashi's article. They don't seem to care about providing clean water to the entire poputation.

Comment

This is why you should ignore Dashie boy.

How can you say they don't care when they are spending $2.1 billion? That's a lot of money in China.
            Golfing since 67

Comment

Isn't it 1.3% of GDP like it says in Dashi's article? 2.1 billion doesn't really mean anything. 1.1 billion is a lot, but it's not nearly enough. They need to spend more, period.

Comment

How much is enough? $2.2 billion? $2.3 billion? Will $100 billion over five years solve the problem? I don't know.

What's more important is to educate people in China to recognise the severe problems that exist.

And I wouldn't pay any creedence to articles posted by Dashi. They're usually a waste of space.
                Golfing since 67

Comment

Not necessarily.

An authoriatarina gov't can respond quickly to a problem, if it chooses to address it, much more faster than say a government controlled by rich corporations.

That's a huge IF.

While an authoritarian govt has the muscle to make things happen, the cavalier attitude toward the sanctity of life will ensure it will never make the short list of things to do.

Unlike a decentralized govt that has many agendas to pay attention to. Those of the corps as well as those of the citizenry.
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Not really. It took us almost a hundred years to begin to clean up our mess. And the majority party in this country still denies the seriousness of the problem and seeks to continue the devastation.
                    Nice try, except by every measurable index our environmental quality has improved dramatically despite the commeasurate increase in population since 1970. A desire of the people and hence mandated by law via clean air and water acts.

But by all means we should export our manufacutring to the likes of China where they give a rats patoot regarding the quality of life and environ.

Lets hear it for the state who doesn't give a sh1te about its people (and is not accountable to its people) and the likelihood of it actually giving a damn about the environment.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

That's right, Ogie - why don't we add an extra 1 billion people to the US, and see how your system holds up?

Oh yeah, at least 1 billion extra SUVs, lovely.
                      Cry me a freakin river. While your at it put in some desalination plants so as to ensure you have something to drink.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                        Ah, the old "China has so many people, it's not responsible for anything it does" ploy (add with a trademark "let's talk about the US instead" diversion ). I just don't see the connection to Ogie's post.
                        I hope this kind of thinking isn't common among the mainlanders.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

How much is enough? $2.2 billion? $2.3 billion? Will $100 billion over five years solve the problem? I don't know.

What's more important is to educate people in China to recognise the severe problems that exist.
                          Educating the people? What do you think China is, a democracy? Why would the state educate the people? They don't have to do that. All they have to do is keep the water clean, they don't have to worry about educating the people to do that since they have all the power.

And I don't know how much is enough, but the Chinese don't seem to care about how much is enough. They spend 2.1 billion and that's either enough or it's not. If they want to spend enough they simply need to spend more until the problem is solved.

Comment

This is why you should ignore Dashie boy.

How can you say they don't care when they are spending $2.1 billion? That's a lot of money in China.
                            Doesn't have anything to do with caring. It's all about image. You obviously don't understand China.
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

I hope this kind of thinking isn't common among the mainlanders.
                              It's the simple flawed logic I usually encounter with students. Often it's because their English is so poor that they can't better express their opinions, but part of it is the way they are taught to think by their government controlled education system that encourages diverting the issue rather than addressing the problem. This is similar to the whole throw money at it approach that Tingkai favors. It doesn't solve the problem, but it make people look away from it by creating an illusion that it is solved.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

You were earlier trying to convince us that the problem is solved by spending money. Now you say that money isn't the solution. Make up your mind, man.
                                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                                X