Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another means of population control for China?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another means of population control for China?

Is China pulling a Schiavo on its own people?

Report: China Faces Severe Water Shortages

SHANGHAI, China (AP) - China's already severe water shortages are worsening due to heavy pollution of lakes and aquifers and urban development projects with a big thirst for water, such as lawns and fountains, state media reported.

More than 100 cities have inadequate water supplies, with more than half ``seriously threatened,'' the official Xinhua News Agency cited Qiu Baoxing, a vice minister of construction, as saying.

``The uneven distribution of the limited resource and serious pollution further deteriorate the situation,'' Qiu said.

In Beijing, for example, each resident has access to only 10,593 cubic feet of water a year, compared with the world average of 35,310 cubic feet, Xinhua said in a separate report.

Recent urban greenery projects have only worsened the problem due to widespread planting of lawns and construction of fountains that consume large amounts of water, he said.

Meanwhile, experts warned that more than 300 million rural Chinese lack clean drinking water since most waterways are fouled by industrial effluent, untreated sewage and runoff of agricultural chemicals from fields.

A survey in January found that only 47 percent of water in major rivers is drinkable, while half of all lakes are heavily polluted. And 35 percent of ground water is undrinkable due to pollution, Xinhua reported.

``Hundreds of thousands (of) Chinese are afflicted with various diseases from drinking water that contains too much fluorine, arsenic, sodium sulfate or bitter salt,'' it cited Wang Shucheng, minister of Water Resources, as saying.

Wang said the government planned to boost spending on water treatment. He called for better enforcement of often-ignored environmental protection standards.

A five-year, 18 billion yuan ($2.1 billion) program to improve the drinking water supply in the countryside, home to three-quarters of China's 1.3 billion people, has already ensured safe water for 57 million people, Xinhua reported.

© Copyright The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained In this news report may not be published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

03/23/2005 10:04
    APO
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Chinese are communist... Thus, I don't care.

pity post
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Come on we can send UR a bottle of Desani I'm sure.
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

This is a perfect example of the unsustainability of capitalism.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

crap
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Yeah you say that until there's a piece of **** floating in your water.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
              Yeah you say that until there's a piece of **** floating in your water.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

This is a perfect example of the unsustainability of capitalism.
                How so?

If anything it just proves a Communist country can **** all over the environment no differently than a capitalist country can.

If anything, the situation in America would tend to support the notion that in capitalism, environmentally friendly policies can exist.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                  How so?

If anything it just proves a Communist country can **** all over the environment no differently than a capitalist country can.

If anything, the situation in America would tend to support the notion that in capitalism, environmentally friendly policies can exist.
                  If you ask me the US is more communist with it's environmental policies. Poluting the water that people drink so that profit can be made is capitalism. When you make laws to protect the environment at the expense of profit that's not capitalism. The question is how much can nations in this globalised economy afford to protect the environment with the increased competition to produce at low cost.

Comment

If you ask me the US is more communist with it's environmental policies. Poluting the water that people drink so that profit can be made is capitalism. When you make laws to protect the environment at the expense of profit that's not capitalism. The question is how much can nations in this globalised economy afford to protect the environment with the increased competition to produce at low cost.
                    ah, but it's in the capitalist's interests to have a consumer base that can spend money... and I don't think anyone will disagree that healthy people can work more, earn more, and buy more. So it's in the capitalist's interest to keep people healthy.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I'm not sure how anyone profits directly or indirectly from polluting the water. They profit over the short term by not having to regulate and thus producing goods more cheaply, but ignoring the devastating long-term consequences, as Sava indicated, is just idiotic. Neither capitalism nor communism has a monopoly on stupidity. Anyone can fail to think about the future and prepare adequately, especially in a bureaucracy. Whether the state or private citizens are in charge of production does not matter, as either kind is capable of being a numbnuts for the sake of immediate expediency.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                        ah, but it's in the capitalist's interests to have a consumer base that can spend money... and I don't think anyone will disagree that healthy people can work more, earn more, and buy more. So it's in the capitalist's interest to keep people healthy.
                        The individual capitalist doesn't care about that because it doesn't affect his/her individual profit. On the contrary everyone has a collective interest in healthy water. That's why we make a collective decision to insure clean water when we can. That is, when we have the power to, unlike in China. So China is more capitalist, because the conditions are favorable to the capitalist poluters as opposed to the people.

edit: That being said, I'm not very pleased with the quality of water in the US. I don't think others are either, otherwise they wouldn't buy so much bottled water.
                        Last edited by Kidlicious; March 23, 2005, 18:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                          I'm not sure how anyone profits directly or indirectly from polluting the water. They profit over the short term by not having to regulate and thus producing goods more cheaply, but ignoring the devastating long-term consequences, as Sava indicated, is just idiotic. Neither capitalism nor communism has a monopoly on stupidity. Anyone can fail to think about the future and prepare adequately, especially in a bureaucracy. Whether the state or private citizens are in charge of production does not matter, as either kind is capable of being a numbnuts for the sake of immediate expediency.
                          I don't think it's a question of whether the state or private citizen's have the power to make decisions. In a globalized economy environmental policies are a factor in decision making done by MNCs. The state and/or the people of a nation can decide whether or not they will have environmental policies, but that decision is going to depend on whether or not they can create jobs and economic growth, which in turn depends on whether MNCs will create facilities in said nation.

Comment

edit: That being said, I'm not very pleased with the quality of water in the US. I don't think others are either, otherwise they wouldn't buy so much bottled water.
                            well it varies by region... in the Chicago area, the water is great!

Plus I think bottled water is more about convenience than sanitation concerns.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The demand for bottled water is because of the taste.

Comment

Working...
                              X