Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another means of population control for China?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The demand for bottled water is because of the marketing
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Really? What marketing?
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

What does MNC stand for though?

Anyway, I think it simply won't do to confuse overall ideology with individual motives. The theory of capitalism is that competition yields a higher quality of goods and services by way of semi-evolutionary selection. The theory of communism is a rather different road to a similar goal, on which I won't speculate further because I still have no idea what the deuce you people are talking about.

But the single bureaucrat or businessman isn't doing what he does for the sake of providing the most prosperous economy for all concerned. It would be nice if he did, but that's just not realistic. Chances are good that the individual guy is just thinking about how to meet this next performance review or how to squeeze out a profit or how to smooth the latest catastrophe over so he won't have his butt put over the fire by management and be looking for a job six weeks from now. That's where the decisions are made, regardless of the big ideology that arranges the decisions. I'm still not convinced that any ideology can prevent bad decisions from being made to begin with. People fail sometimes.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Sava was involved in a discussion and somebody other than Sava was the first to abandon civility for petty partisan name-calling!

It wasn't Fez either! Horror! What's the world coming to?
          1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
            Sava was involved in a discussion and somebody other than Sava was the first to abandon civility for petty partisan name-calling!

It wasn't Fez either! Horror! What's the world coming to?
            bah, I only react to other people... I rarely am the first to throw insults around...
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
              What does MNC stand for though?
              Multinational Corporation
              Anyway, I think it simply won't do to confuse overall ideology with individual motives. The theory of capitalism is that competition yields a higher quality of goods and services by way of semi-evolutionary selection. The theory of communism is a rather different road to a similar goal, on which I won't speculate further because I still have no idea what the deuce you people are talking about.

But the single bureaucrat or businessman isn't doing what he does for the sake of providing the most prosperous economy for all concerned. It would be nice if he did, but that's just not realistic. Chances are good that the individual guy is just thinking about how to meet this next performance review or how to squeeze out a profit or how to smooth the latest catastrophe over so he won't have his butt put over the fire by management and be looking for a job six weeks from now. That's where the decisions are made, regardless of the big ideology that arranges the decisions. I'm still not convinced that any ideology can prevent bad decisions from being made to begin with. People fail sometimes.
              The people aren't failing. They are doing what they are intended to do. In a capitalist system those with capital make that decision. They do so so that they can make the most profit possible. The result is polution. There is no individuals to blame, only the system.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

Multinational Corporation

The people aren't failing. They are doing what they are intended to do. In a capitalist system those with capital make that decision. They do so so that they can make the most profit possible. The result is polution. There is no individuals to blame, only the system.
                if you take into account the cost, in lives, and the cost of health care caused by pollution; current polluting methods are not the most profitable... it's just that polluters are too short sighted to see this.

It's not the system. It's the individuals.

More "advanced" methods of manufacturing or power generation would be, by definition, more efficient... i.e. cheaper to operate, simpler to maintain, cleaner, and produces more power. AND... more profitable.

It's just that individuals are not willing to put forth the initial investment to acquire such methods faster. In the long run, more advanced methods will be more profitable. It's the short-sightedness of individuals that prevents advancement.

Plus, blaming the system lets polluters escape the responsibility of their actions.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                  if you take into account the cost, in lives, and the cost of health care caused by pollution; current polluting methods are not the most profitable... it's just that polluters are too short sighted to see this.

It's not the system. It's the individuals.

More "advanced" methods of manufacturing or power generation would be, by definition, more efficient... i.e. cheaper to operate, simpler to maintain, cleaner, and produces more power. AND... more profitable.

It's just that individuals are not willing to put forth the initial investment to acquire such methods faster. In the long run, more advanced methods will be more profitable. It's the short-sightedness of individuals that prevents advancement.
                  It's pointless to blame people for being themselves.

Plus, blaming the system lets polluters escape the responsibility of their actions.
                  No it doesn't. I don't care if you blame them or not. The important thing is that water is clean.

Comment

Uh, systems are started by people. Systems are perpetuated by people, changed by people, destroyed by people. Somebody somewhere along the line has to make a decision to start all the wheels spinning no matter what kind of system you set up, and no system is better than the people who make it work. If I honestly thought any system could overwhelm human nature, I'm not sure I'd trust it because somebody somewhere had to have made it up, and that someone was probably human himself.

We're not talking about blaming people for being themselves, we merely acknowledge the fact that they will be themselves no matter what kind of convoluted hierarchy you install, because every person in that hierarchy will be a human being himself with his own motives, his own interests, his own little games on the side. No system can be substituted for conscious, informed decision, not in the real world. It won't even work well for a fake world, as players of Civ can attest.
                    1011 1100

Comment

The demand for bottled water is because of the marketing
                      Really? What marketing?
                      Water safety warnings.
                      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Again, polution isn't caused by people making ill-informed decisions or because people are evil. It's created because people seek profit, and that's what they are intended to do within the system. There are very real reasons why they are allowed to do so that have everything to do with the system.

Comment

Again, polution isn't caused by people making ill-informed decisions or because people are evil. It's created because people seek profit, and that's what they are intended to do within the system. There are very real reasons why they are allowed to do so that have everything to do with the system.
                          I heard in prehistoric times, man just littered all of the bones and carcasses from their kill all over the place when they were done with them... for profit and the pro-historic system, right?
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I agree with the sentiment of everything you've said in this thread, Kid.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

I heard in prehistoric times, man just littered all of the bones and carcasses from their kill all over the place when they were done with them... for profit and the pro-historic system, right?

That isn't pollution, that is the ecosystem.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I thought this would be a thread about their invasion of Taiwan in 2008 during the Olympic Games...
                                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Working...
                                X