Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The amazing ongoing hideousness of Michael Howard (Part XXXIV)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The amazing ongoing hideousness of Michael Howard (Part XXXIV)

Michael Howard, leader of the Tories and a man I have frequently gone on record by identifying him as "a lying sack of jackal ****", is attempting to surpass his own impressive record of raging, callous hypocrisy and soullessness. This time it's about Gypsies, and their presence on unofficial campsites.

Background info- Gypsies have led nomadic lifestyles in Britain for around 800 years. It hasn't always been easy going, and it appears to be getting worse. To a large extent, it looks like Gypsies are the last ethnic grouping it's widely considered to be socially acceptable to be bigoted about. My opinions on them are coloured by experience- I grew up in the rural West Country where Gypsies were a common sight. They rarely bothered anybody, so I was bewildered to discover, later in my life, the extent of prejudice widely held against them.

Michael Howard wants to do several things. Firstly- he wants to ensure councils do not feel obliged to provide planning permission for Gypsy sites under the Human Rights Act. Secondly, he opposes Gypsies applying for retrospective planning permission on existing unauthorised sites. Thirdly, he wants to make trespass a criminal offence.

Let's look at that third one first. It's a biggie, involving massive legal and social implications. Most damagingly, it could remove the powers of squatter's rights and adverse possession. There is a serious housing shortage in this country, coupled with insane house prices- with nearly a million empty/abandoned properties in this country, squatting has provided an essential social solution since the 1960's. Threaten squatters with criminal charges and you create a massive social problem.
    On a side note, you can probably wave bye-bye to the Rambler's Association and the Right to Roam. They'll all be locked up and great swathes of our countryside will remain behind barbed wire.

On the other points- let's look at the history. Why is there a "Gypsy problem" these days? There are two main reasons.

1- There are more Gypsies in recent years. This is largely because Ireland passed strict trespass laws, making a nomadic lifestyle very difficult for Irish Gypsies. Consequently thousands of them moved to Britain. Mr Howard has got a real stiffie about those Irish laws and wants to copy them.

2- There are fewer official Gypsy sites. This is because in 1994 Michael Howard (the Home Secretary at the time) overturned the 1968 Caravan Site Act, which required local authorities to provide sites for Gypsies. This was part of the general raft of violent strikes against Gypsies and Travellers that the Tory regime carried out- most notoriously "The Battle of the Beanfield".
    At that time, Home Office Circular 1/94 was issued, encouraging local authorities to identify plots of land that gypsies could buy for themselves. It is those very plots of land that Gypsies are now being evicted from, for not having planning permission. Yup- he shafted them good and proper.

You can't make this stuff up. This man is either breathtakingly stupid or deeply ****ing evil. He isn't fit to run a tombola at a village fete, let alone a nation of 60 million people of mixed ethnic identities. In fact, if it would encourage them to ditch this cadaverous old leech, I might even vote Tory. But only if they replaced him with a more worthy leader, like a mop or something. In fact, a good honest mop would be the greatest Tory leader since Churchill became too senile to keep up.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Ha - you called them Gypsies! Isn't that non-pc in the UK? Seriously, here they would kill you for not using Roma....
    Blah

Comment

Gypsies is the polite term. Pikey is the slang. Its the diddicoys who on balance annoy me.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I'm not really anti-"traveler" (is that the PC term for them)... but as I understand it, these travelers are a source of crime. Personally, I agree with anti-squatting laws and such.

I've not seen a substantial amount of evidence to support either an anti or pro traveler stance. But my gut leans towards anti.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Wow. Such bigotry is awesome

I didn't know your Tories continued to be that evil
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Howard is getting advice from an Australian tory - lynton Crosby - no surprise he's playing the race card.
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
              I'm not really anti-"traveler" (is that the PC term for them)... but as I understand it, these travelers are a source of crime.
              Have you ever broken the law, Sava?

I have. And yet I'm not a gypsy. How can this be?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

Have you ever broken the law, Sava?

I have. And yet I'm not a gypsy. How can this be?
                well I don't know about other countries, but in America, last year a traveler group was busted for a huge identity theft ring.

and stop trying to twist my comments into some sort of generalization

I'm on the fence about this and all you are doing is moving me to the other side.

Instead of trying to twist my words or make irrelevant comparisons, maybe you should provide some evidence that discredits my uninformed opinion about travelers.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I bet you have some Gypsy blood in you you're not aware of. There's no other explanation.
                  "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                  "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                  "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

He's gone for abortion, now travellers.

Anyone want to predict where he's going to go next?
                    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

well I don't know about other countries, but in America, last year a traveler group was busted for a huge identity theft ring.

I'm on the fence about this and all you are doing is moving me to the other side.

Instead of trying to twist my words or make irrelevant comparisons, maybe you should provide some evidence that discredits my uninformed opinion about travelers.
                      Are you saying that because some travellers have been convicted of a crime we should persecute all travellers? That's what it sounds like. That's what Howard's saying. To me that's totally unacceptable.
                      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

It's bull****, Sava. Racial or ethnic descent does not make people criminals.

Sure, some people who live in caravans commit crimes, but if you're going to use that as a basis for blanket prejudice against Gypsies you might as will slip a pair of swastika armbands on right now. It's indefensible.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                          He's gone for abortion, now travellers.

Anyone want to predict where he's going to go next?
                          Single mothers. Again.

Comment

CONFLICT between English Romany Gypsies and Irish travellers crowding on to official sites has been blamed for the spread of illegal camps.

A planning inquiry was told by the head of the English Romany Council that that was the reason one group of Gypsies bought a field in the village of Minety in North Wiltshire.

Members of 16 families pooled their resources and paid £80,000 for the 3½-acre field.

I wonder how many prejudices and preconceptions the first few paragraphs of that article questions. Especially the third one.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I read that he wants to outlaw illegal sites. My response was mostly confusion.

Comment

Working...
                              X