No announcement yet.

6 mo old infant taken off life support thanks to law signed by Gov. Bush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanS defending the right of the State to take people off life support to save money: priceless...

Quite sad, really...
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Europe looks forward to years of generic growth
      [Published: 14 October 2002 Source: Urch Publishing]

The generic drug sector in Europe is poised for significant growth over the next decade as healthcare systems implement initiatives to reduce costs and a number of top selling drugs come off-patent. By 2005 generics will account for 75% of all prescriptions in Western Europe and the market will reach more than US$21bn by 2007, according to a new report from Urch Publishing Ltd.

The European generics drugs market is growing rapidly and is estimated to account for approximately 14% of the total European pharmaceutical market, valued at US$12bn in 2002. Germany is the market leader estimated at US$5.7bn in 2002. The UK is in second place with an estimated market value of US$2bn. Spain and Italy are forecast to make significant in-roads in terms of generic growth, which will be mainly as a result of government cost-containment pressures. The Dutch and Scandinavian markets are also expected to show sustained growth in line with growth of total markets and their positive disposition towards generics.

Although the cost of prescription medicines makes up for a very small fraction of total healthcare expenditure, one way to reduce spending on pharmaceuticals is to employ a generic substitution protocol. This will facilitate growth in the generic drugs sector along with other industry drivers and help to keep pharmaceutical costs down. Generic substitution is a target for healthcare policy makers for this reason, says the report European Generic Drug Markets - growth to 2007, by Tim Atkinson.

Government policy change is a powerful influence on spending in pharmaceutical markets as evidenced by a number of savings through cost-containment measures between 1996-1999 including:

Austria's government pharmaceutical cost reduction introduced in 1997 which was designed to save Sch1bn (US$84.5 million)

The French government stated that generic use of drugs could lead to a healthcare cost saving of FRF2-4bn (US$340-680 million)

German government's efforts in 1997 resulted in a decline in the proportion of expenditure by the sickfunds on pharmaceuticals from 16.4% in 1991 to 13.8% in 1997. Prescribing of generics saved the sickfunds DEM3bn (US$1.7 billion) in 1996

Spain's Modification to the Medicines Law which was passed on 10 February 1997 aimed to create a generics market worth PTE300bn (US$2.1 billion) by 2000, leading to savings of PTE75bn (US$0.5 billion)
      Thats from an industry newsletter

And so the generic market marches on

Except in the USA where the consumer gets stiffed by bad drug laws
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I understand why drug companies, amongst the most profitable in the world, make this cockamamie argument but I'm surprised you buy it, lol.
        It's a matter of mathematics. The big drug companies spend about 20% of revenues on R&D -- higher even than most software companies. If you reduce the revenues, then the R&D will be reduced in likewise fashion. Fewer drugs will be discovered and brought to market.

Regarding Lipitor R&D costs, the company has several failures to every success. Lipitor profits must be considered in this context.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

We have a drug market here.
          One of the big reasons that this can be supported and y'all can get new drugs is by the largesse of the market in the US. I don't know if we will be successful in feathering our own bed in the end through such a market, but it's a rational bet that we will.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

So Dan...exactly how much is a human life worth? You know, dollars-and-cents wise?
            "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
            ^ The Poly equivalent of:
            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

I just asked KH that the other day. He quoted me a hundred thousand or two.

Comment

I'm hoping two...
                "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

But souls may fetch a higher price. There's still hope for you.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

It's a matter of mathematics. The big drug companies spend about 20% of revenues on R&D -- higher even than most software companies. If you reduce the revenues, then the R&D will be reduced in likewise fashion. Fewer drugs will be discovered and brought to market.

Regarding Lipitor R&D costs, the company has several failures to every success. Lipitor profits must be considered in this context.
                    Hmm, 20% into R&D..how much goes into profit?

And also, a lot of these companies get free research from the public sector..maybe it would be more fair to have the drug companies pay royalties to the government for the profitable use of government paid research? Maybe put those royalties in a account then used to subsidize drug costs for the poor?
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Hmm, 20% into R&D..how much goes into profit?
                      A good portion. Consider three R&D-driven companies: Microsoft, Intel, and Pfizer. Each spends about 20% of revenues on R&D. Over the last four fiscal years, their average after-tax profit as a percentage of revenue is 23.25% for Microsoft, 14.5% for Intel, and 23.25% for Pfizer.

However, Pfizer's profits are a lot more variable than Microsoft's profits. So Pfizer's 23.25% is worth less than Microsoft's 23.25%. Also, Intel's profits should be higher. They aren't because the last four fiscal years include a deep recession in the semiconductor industry.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                        I just asked KH that the other day. He quoted me a hundred thousand or two.
                        More to other governments. The American one is simply notoriously stingy. I'd also like to note that it cost ~100k dollars in Viet Nam to kill each VC/NVA.

So by this arithmetic the US government considers killing a communist a decent exchange for losing an American.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The gallows math for Vietnam was well and truly screwed up. But the death benefit for soldiers in Iraq is being upped from $250,000 to $500,000 and so it would make sense to spend at least that much money to buy these soldiers' lives. And then you have all of the expensive wounds that are paid for that all told cost the government millions of dollars apiece for some injuries.

Comment

Soldiers' lives are worth more than average citizens' lives to the US government and media. I never said they weren't. Though the fact that a large proportion of soldiers in Viet Nam were poor uneducated urban minorities made those soldiers particularly expendable.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The 9/11 victims got an average $1.8 million. Also consider that there has been a big switch into basic life sciences research at the federal level -- about $30 billion or $40 billion per annum. In short, the US Gov't is becoming a big, big spender when lives are on the line.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                                Soldiers' lives are worth more than average citizens' lives to the US government and media. I never said they weren't. Though the fact that a large proportion of soldiers in Viet Nam were poor uneducated urban minorities made those soldiers particularly expendable.
                                Facts about the Vietnam Veteran. Who served in Vietnam. people in service in the Vietnam War

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                                So Dan...exactly how much is a human life worth? You know, dollars-and-cents wise?
                                How much should we spend to torture someone who is going to outgrow their own lungs?

Comment

Working...
                                X