This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
    A body that hasn't died yet isn't a corpse, by definition.
    Ever hear of the living dead? The only part of a person that is meaningful comes from the frontal cortex. Anything else you can remove from a person that would leave them alive would still leave them a person. Once the person is gone, all you have is a sack of meat. For all intents and purposes, it is a corpse. Just one that hasn't finished dying yet.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• I left it vague, because, in fact, some infants are born without frontal cortexes. By definition, they are retarded. Since the frontal cortex is what makes us people, the lack of one should be enough to let it die.

The mind is dead, so it's good enough.

You guys are indeed moral titans.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Ever hear of the living dead?

Well, if we're going to use cinema as the basis for real-life arguments now, I'd suggest we place Terri Schiavo into that magical retirement home pool where aliens will restore her health and vitality. Hell, she's already in Florida, so it should be easy!
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

You guys are indeed moral titans.
          Morals only apply to beings. Not things. Terry Schiavo's body is a thing. There is no person there. There hasn't been for fifteen years. I can't be immoral to a chair. I can't be immoral to a corpse. I can only be immoral to other beings.

BTW, I DanS'd you.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Do you support starving animals to death?
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• [QUOTE] Originally posted by chegitz guevara

You don't need a body to prove murder. It just helps. You're getting wildly speculative, now, you know. BTW, unless you're in a hospital, I'm guessing it's pretty hard to keep a body in a PVS state alive. [/QUOTE
              I know this but this thread was about the law not the woman it was started for. The precedents have the oppurtunity to get larger in every state if this continues. And yes I read the child case in houston in the other thread.
              When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
              "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
              Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Do you support starving animals to death?
                An animal is a being.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
                  I know this but this thread was about the law not the woman it was started for. The precedents have the oppurtunity to get larger in every state if this continues. And yes I read the child case in houston in the other thread.
                  The worse precedent would be for parents to start interfering in spousal privledge. You wanna talk abuse, just think about how messy that could get. Your wife dies, and her parents decide to take everything you own based on the Schindler's getting their way.

Comment

• The only part of a person that is meaningful comes from the frontal cortex.

Assuming Terri Schiavo's frontal cortex is completely gone (which isn't clear but I'll accept it here for the sake of debate), then she is no longer a person in your eyes. Not being a person would not immediately drop her to the level of a inanimate object, though, would it? She's not the equivalent of a chair in this circumstance; she's more akin to a living but unthinking animal. So, I assume you're willing to starve animals to death if you're willing to do the same to a human being who has lost the only part of themselves that is meaningful...
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Morals only apply to beings. Not things. Terry Schiavo's body is a thing. There is no person there. There hasn't been for fifteen years.

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• that goes with out saying but you the smart guy should make it known that everything you guys own goes to you unless your the one that slits her throat. Her parents are simply fighting for her life. regardless of what state she is in the parents should be allowed some decison in whether to starve their kid to death. after all they did give her life.
                        When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                        "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                        Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

So, I assume you're willing to starve animals to death if you're willing to do the same to a human being who has lost the only part of themselves that is meaningful...
                          I wouldn't feel bad if a sea cucumber, or some other brainless critter starved to death, no. I feel no qualms about dropping crustaceans and mollusks into boiling water. These are animals that don't reach the level of beings. A modicum of self-awareness is required.

Comment

• regardless of what state she is in the parents should be allowed some decison in whether to starve their kid to death.

They've gotten it. The Court has ruled hearing their arguments and rejected them.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Morals only apply to beings. Not things. Terry Schiavo's body is a thing. There is no person there. There hasn't been for fifteen years.
                              So, this body, that is a thing, somehow managed to inform the husband of her wishes?

ACK!
                              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuberski

So, this body, that is a thing, somehow managed to inform the husband of her wishes?

ACK!
                                that was before the incident, DUH
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X