This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush signs emergency law to preempt state courts ref Terry Schiavo

I just heard a BBC newfeed that Bush went and signed a Republican passe federal law to override the Florida state court's and stop, yet again, the removal of a feeding tube from Terry Schiavo. This is not a thread to argue over her conditions, that is already on it's fifth page. This is in response to some posters commentary about state's rights (good for you, DinoDoc) and, shall we say, a certain INCONSISTENCY that since we don't like the courts' decisions, we will pass an ex post facto law to nullify the courts.

Comment - inconsistancy with state's rights, commentary on judicial activitism, ad nauseum. I really want to see the tortured logic used to justify this one.
    The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
    And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
    Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
    Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

This law

Starving Terri Schiavo

That it had to come to this
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I refer to this thread

If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I'm guess, eventually, this will be struck down as Unconstitutional, since I'm really not sure what possibly authority Congress has to legislate on this issue. It just buys time...

Freaking idiots in Congress.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Gepap posted the thread about the actual debate over the feeding tubes. This is about the federal intervention into the case, specifically by a Republican House, a Republican Senate, and -gasp- a Republican President. Imran, I thought you'd be consistant here.
          The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
          And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
          Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
          Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

.... how am I not consistent here?
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

You are - that wasn't sarcasm. It was a compliment. Hell, if I can compliment Ned at times, I certainly can find things to compliment you for (I added it after our recent Scalia thread - I plan to start a new one after the current one's die down, and do I have a speech to post. )
              Last edited by Mr. Harley; March 20, 2005, 04:28.

Comment

this continued taking away and inserting the feeding tube is going to give her an eating disorder.

Comment

That's terrible - funny in a sick sort of way - but terrible. Correction - Bush is cutting his weekend short so he can sign the law into effect. That's why we have a new flight restriction around Waco, TX - he's leaving early.

Comment

This whole case makes me wonder why euthanasia in the form of administered drugs isn't legal all over the world. But that is not the point of this thread.

I will say, that the American Republican Party is the worst gang of moral hypocrites the world has ever seen. They f*ck up time and time again, and the worst thing is that they don't even see it.

Republicans

Euthanasia

Asmodean
                    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Euthanising Republicans ????

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                        Euthanising Republicans ????

Comment

Re: Bush signs emergency law to preempt state courts ref Terry Schiavo

Originally posted by shawnmmcc
                          I just heard a BBC newfeed that Bush went and signed a Republican passe federal law to override the Florida state court's and stop, yet again, the removal of a feeding tube from Terry Schiavo. This is not a thread to argue over her conditions, that is already on it's fifth page. This is in response to some posters commentary about state's rights (good for you, DinoDoc) and, shall we say, a certain INCONSISTENCY that since we don't like the courts' decisions, we will pass an ex post facto law to nullify the courts.

Comment - inconsistancy with state's rights, commentary on judicial activitism, ad nauseum. I really want to see the tortured logic used to justify this one.
                          My beef is that Congress is, once again, lowering itself to the tabloid level. DEAL WITH IMPORTANT STUFF, YOU MORONS.

That, and they're deliberately trying to mess with the judiciary in a particular case. It's just absurd!

Comment

to this crap

Comment

God Bless America.

But **** the *******s in charge.
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                              X