No announcement yet.

Dark Energy/Zero-Point Energy/Tesla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The big bang is purely related to the fact that the universe is expanding, not with the beginning of the universe. (Yay, a similar fallacy to what religious peeps think of evolution) Infation theory goes a bit futhur back, but it's not a complete understanding of what actually CAUSED the big bang, or what happened before the first plank time (10^-43 sec) It simply cannot be described by our theories atm. Gogo no current theory of quantum gravity!

Just because we currently don't understand it doesn't mean we won't. Eventually you'll be stuck saying that the only gap that god can be in is in the uncertaincy principle.

Personally? I'd think we will realize eventually, that the laws of nature IS what we would have considered to be god. The beauty in what is to come in physics will show us that nature can be just as omnipotent and omniprescent as god could.

Regarding conservation of energy in GR:

"Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
    "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
    Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

I keep telling people that gravity is not the only force that can act over cosmic scales. Most of the matter in the universe is plasma. While you cannot support electric fields due to charge imbalances over any appreciable distance, you can easily generate large currents and thus, magnetic fields over cosmic distances.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Rather than a dark energy with a repulsive force, some cosmologists theorize that their is a gravity leak, causing it to diminish slightly more than the inverse of distance squared.
        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

It predicts that a particle with no definite position is at rest
          No it doesn't.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Damn. You guys have confused me.

Now I know why I didn't do too well in high school physics.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

ignore everybody except the dolphin, me and Ramo.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Gotcha.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

If you were learning cosmology and QFT in high school physics then I'm impressed...

We were busy doing stuff like adding vectors together and you were doing Feynman Path Integrals...
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

No, I was learning cosmology and QFT only inasmuch as the vectors stuff leads eventually to cosmology and QFT.

Comment

keep telling people that gravity is not the only force that can act over cosmic scales. Most of the matter in the universe is plasma. While you cannot support electric fields due to charge imbalances over any appreciable distance, you can easily generate large currents and thus, magnetic fields over cosmic distances.

I must admit that I actually had the same thought a couple of weeks ago....
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

Well, not Tesla energy. But an ether that is permeated with energy.

Please note that Tesla was sometimes pretty far out and subsequently a lot of nutballs have glommed on to him for various conspiracy theories. But he was a genius of the highest order as well, so...
                        Tesla was a smart dude, but I wouldn't consider him a genius of the highest order, especially not when it comes to fundamental physics.

He was more of an inventor and engineer than physicist.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Inventive genius is still genius, KH.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

I didn't say it wasn't, Az.

But if you read the quoted post it is implying that we should lend credence to Tesla's ether theory based on his qualifications as "a genius of the highest order". I was pointing out that:

a) I don't think that Tesla was even close to the smartest man of his time

b) even if he was, his intelligence was focused on technical matters, and this brings into question his ability to comment usefully on purely scientific matters
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'd never think about arguing with you seriously about biochemistry, Azazel, even though I could kick your ass six ways from sunday in mathematics or physics...
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I didn't say it wasn't, Az.

But if you read the quoted post it is implying that we should lend credence to Tesla's ether theory based on his qualifications as "a genius of the highest order". I was pointing out that:

a) I don't think that Tesla was even close to the smartest man of his time

b) even if he was, his intelligence was focused on technical matters, and this brings into question his abilities to comment usefully on purely scientific matters

Oh, I fully agree with both points! Just there is a certain tendency among all scientists to look down on engineers. I just think it's very wrong.

I'd never think about arguing with you seriously about biochemistry, Azazel even though I could kick your ass six ways from sunday in mathematics or physics...

Yeah, of course everyone knows his own disciplines, no doubt about that. However one does have to wonder: is this completely ok, or should more people be more multi-disciplinary in their approach?
                                Btw, I am not the biochemist, KH. Organic chemistry is what I do.
                                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                                X