Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Excuse me? Excusez-moi? Scusilo? Excuseme?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excuse me? Excusez-moi? Scusilo? Excuseme?

How many languages do you speak?

here are the rules

1. count your native language
    2. you must be able to hold a reasonable conversation, read the newspaper, and write a commentary on a newspaper article
    3. 'learning' a language means not being able to do one of those
    4. you must be currently learning the language - i know a smattering of and can understand some of it, but i am not currently learning it, so it doesnt count.
    5. you cannot be learning more then a language at a time
    5. vote
    0 - Class Clown
    1.47%
    1 - just my native language
    20.59%
    1.5 - in the process of learning a second
    16.18%
    2 - bilingual
    13.24%
    2.5 - on the road to trilingualism
    27.94%
    3 - trilingual
    7.35%
    3.5 - language major
    5.88%
    4 - freak
    2.94%
    4.5 - obsessed
    1.47%
    5+ - gifted
    2.94%
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

I speak American English and Banana
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Two.
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

finnish, english and swedish propelry. Some german as well, I can understand about half, but I can't really speak it or write it. Unfortunately I wasn't very active in school years ago when I was studying it.

Today I was thinking 5th language, well actually 4th since I'm not fluent in german at all, I usually mention it but sometimes not, so I'm not good at it. So 'm thinking of getting 4th language and make myself fluent in it. It shall be either a) French b) Spanish c) Russian. I'm kind of wanting to learn Japanese though.. really into it, but it might be very difficult for me, so most likely it's either a or b, might be c, but if I go nuts and follow my heart it'll be Japanese.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

2-

English, half each of Spanish and Latin. Of course, I'm not studying how to SPEAK Latin, but never mind that.

Comment

Re: Excuse me? Excusez-moi? Scusilo? Excuseme?

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
            How many languages do you speak?

here are the rules

1. count your native language
            2. you must be able to hold a reasonable conversation, read the newspaper, and write a commentary on a newspaper article
            3. 'learning' a language means not being able to do one of those
            4. you must be currently learning the language - i know a smattering of and can understand some of it, but i am not currently learning it, so it doesnt count.
            5. you cannot be learning more then a language at a time
            5. vote
            I can read a French newpaper article, with probably a 20 to 40% chance i will misunderstand a key point. I can kinda sorta hold a conversation, if the other person speaks real slowly, and helps me when I forget a word. I could proabably manage a commentary, by limiting the subject based on words I know. Maybe.

I can hold a more reasonable conversation in Hebrew, but have a more difficult time with a newpaper article (in French im helped by the large number of cognates in the more complex newspapery words, as opposed to conversation) Limits on commentary same as above but more severe. I read a book on the origins of the Hebrew language, that was focused on helping the language learner, and found i learned something from it. But last looked at it over a month ago. Ive been reading POTMs Bat Mitzvah portion along with her, and note words i know and dont know.

So Im not sure if i should be at 1 language, 1 and learning 1, 2 and learning one, or 3. Not to mention my smattering of Yiddish and Spanish. Not up to standards on either - i occasionally learn a new Yiddish word from QOTM, and i have a Spanish language CD ROM collecting dust.

Donc, je ne suis pas certain le correct numbre des langues que je (scratches head for how to say should) repondre a ton question. (gad i mangled that and i know it)

Ani lo yodaiah ha ona ha nachon le sholeach (scratches head at proper form for possesive)

(I dont know the correct number of languages that i should give to answer your question. I dont know the correct answer to your question)

Hows that?

Oh, and cheesy hobbits, if anyone cares
            Last edited by lord of the mark; March 10, 2005, 18:06.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

one definetly thats english But being dyslexic I dont read real well. I can read write and speak spanish but havent done it in a while read it that is. The spanish in texas is so tex mex so its not correct spanish. Does pig Latin count So I guess Im down to none if those are the rules.
              When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
              "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
              Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

do you speak wife in the basement while it's guys night out and they are playing poker and watching TV before going out? I mean the vocabulary is easy. 'Yes Sir' is the only one...
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                  do you speak wife in the basement while it's guys night out and they are playing poker and watching TV before going out? I mean the vocabulary is easy. 'Yes Sir' is the only one...
                  We dont have a basement. And tubes dont play poker. I do mind my business when hes on the pc if that counts.
                  When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.

Comment

you don't disturb your man when he is on his computer? Somehow this sounds.. sad.. a modern love story .

I hope you know I was only joking, but I think you knew.
                    In da butt.

Comment

I did. No i dont he plays way to many games formy taste and Id rather watch tv or just get out of the house for some drinks with a friend.

Comment

Re: Re: Excuse me? Excusez-moi? Scusilo? Excuseme?

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Donc, je ne suis pas certain le correct numbre des langues que je (scratches head for how to say should) repondre a ton question. (gad i mangled that and i know it)
                        Ahhh --- but I understood it so it was very good for other people with very poor french

and if you don't know "should" you could go with variations on "have to" or "want to "-- It would get the idea across even if its not right
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Only 1 by this measure: English.

However, I know a fair amount of Spanish and a smattering of Russian.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Uh, 3,5 not counting latin
                            "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                            Middle East!

Comment

banana.banana.

More seriously, I can get by in English, Korean, and German, though I'm slower in the latter two. I'm learning Japanese.
                              B♭3

Comment

Working...
                              X