Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger

We don't know and we don't know.

That doesn't mean a deity is behind ethics/morality.
    For the second time, I never made such a claim. I think the problem here is that certain posters only see what they want in other people's posts. That would explain a lot of the strange responses they give, especially when using the one-line method.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi

There seems to be an assumption in this thread that religious people are less moral because they are religious. Otherwise, what's the point of the current argument?

I'd say that the assumption is the other way around- Elok seems to believe that a moral code is only any use if there's the threat of a supernatural being behind it.

I've never stated that people with a religious faith are inherently less moral because of that faith- in fact, some people I suspect find their faith a great help when faced with a moral quandary- Thomas More and Martin Luther King come to mind.

I don't belief in a supernatural being or damnation, but that doesn't mean that I have lapsed into a state of profound amorality.

Why do you behave as you do ? What enables you to distinguish right from wrong ?

Humankind may be of animal origin, but instead of instinctive responses we have the ability to reason, and to sympathize/empathize and to place ourselves in future outcomes based upon the consideration of what the consequences of our current behaviour might be.
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom
        I'd say that the assumption is the other way around- Elok seems to believe that a moral code is only any use if there's the threat of a supernatural being behind it.
        Which leads us back to the age-old question for Elok:

Were it to be irrefutably shown that god(s) did not exist, which atrocity would you commit first?
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi
          I think the problem here is that certain posters only see what they want in other people's posts. That would explain a lot of the strange responses they give, especially when using the one-line method.
          Interesting self-pwnage.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
          X