No announcement yet.

Congressional GOP Are Scum!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You chalk it up ALL to luck. A very sad excuse to those that do not learn how to take responsibility for their own lives.

You do make your own luck. Unfortunately, most people end up making their luck bad. Which, admittedly, is normal. :shrugs:

Does this account for everyone? Hardly, and I would deny that MOST of them are middle to upper class according to US standards, which are the only ones that matter in this discussion.

I have met so many foreign entrepenuers who came here with nothing, or very close to it. Yet, they don't come here with the mindset that only the lucky make it. Or the rich. No, they see the opportunity for what it is. They bust their asses driving taxis, until the day they own their own. They bust their asses mowing lawns, unti the day they own their own landscaping business. They accept help *given freely* from others, and turn around and help others when they succeed. They have a very powerful culture, that promotes hard work and self accountability.

/me Scratches head...
    Indians and those from the Middle East are just as Asian as Mr. Miyagi... Merely pointing out that small fact, and that most of them are middle-to-upper class. And... simply expanding Rah's point by exposing your examples.

You also do realize that immigrants, on the whole, are more psychologically driven than virtually all native Americans? Immigrants know what life is like elsewhere; Natives expect things to be given to them because they're American.

Doesn't change the simple fact that the American Dream is a hollow, noxious, imaginary figment that serves no other purpose than to spur the underclass into unceasing labor. Who cares if they're paid or not?

Those of us in better positions can relax knowing we're not them; we can hold up examples of those who "make it" to give that tantalizing taste of ambrosia to the drones. Those in worse positions can, well, escape if they truly want. There's alcohol; the cigarrette; the quick meth fix; the busy intersection, the bullet, the knife. Let them.
    B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by One_Mean_Rabbit

So she married a weak induvidual. Either or, bad choice in partner. And like it or not, it was a choice, a very bad one. And bad choices lead to bad consequences. And, our government has no place to come and rescue us when we make them. Hopefully, it seems like she learned from her mistake, and is still focused on giving her son a better chance than she herself had. That's success, and the way it should be.

Ahhh, chalk it up to luck. Has NOTHING to do with hard work, making good decisions, or learning from failure. Maybe his 4 leaf clover worked?! *shakes head*

Hard work alone doesn' t do it. A druggie can work REAL hard at his job, and go no where. A normal person who cannot control their spending can work REAL hard, 3 jobs even, and not go anywhere. Someone who decided to have kids before they are ready, can work real hard, and be unable to escape their mistakes. To make believe or hope that actions do not have obvious consequences is dangerous thought.

You chalk it up ALL to luck. A very sad excuse to those that do not learn how to take responsibility for their own lives.

The point is, we are not in control of our lives. The workplace is a virtual dictatorship, and the government is controled by those same businesses who wish to see that the workplace remain a dictatorship. Also, you assume people are rational being, we are not. We all do stupid things, that is human nature. It is not right to let a person freeze to death on a park bench because he/she made a stupid mistake in his/her life, we all make stupid mistakes in your life. Your coments show you are an uncaring, greedy, self-serving b@astard who lacks even a drop of civic virtue.

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy

Wtf?
        *holds Whaleboy's hand through adult discussion*

We are discussing if foreigners can make it, so can natives here. They said they are upper class, but did not saying according to what? Indian economy? Iranian economy? Chinese or Russian economy? If so, it's hardly worth mentioning since it doesn' t amount to anything here in AMERICA.

Hence, the statement you quoted. Got that?

*pats whaleboy's head*

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
          One Mean Rabbit: It's fake to promise that if you work hard, You'll succeed, when there will always be losers in this "game". It is theoretically possible. There are not enough places in college, enough places at the top of the pyramid, and someone has to pick up the garbage. The notion that this someone is responsible for his fait, while there is always a loser, is ridiculous.
          This is right. Because there will always be people in the bottom rungs, no matter how hard everyone works, it's not right to simply dismiss and say "screw you" to people at the bottom wrongs.

Yup, you're scum!
          That you judge people to the level of scum doesn't reflect all that well on your own character.
          "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Damn, Q Cubed, you're like some sort of heartless slavedriver.

PLEASETELLMEYOUWERECYNICAL.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi

This is right. Because there will always be people in the bottom rungs, no matter how hard everyone works, it's not right to simply dismiss and say "screw you" to people at the bottom wrongs.
              Sure there will always be people at the bottom... but as a society we have a choice whether or not to raise the quality of life for people, despite their bad decisions.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

A very good reason why the poor stay poorer. As Cosby says, why spend $200 on a pair of sneakers when your child cannot read. Stupidity breeds poverty.

Not arguing this point, you know. We need idiots, mooks, in order to drive our economy. Let them eat cake, it makes them all the more easy to control and manipulate.

You're right. And some people just don't have what it takes. Character, drive, determination. So they choose to be prey, and vote in a political group who will do everything they can to keep them poor and needy of said group.

Republicans?

Who said hard work, making good decisions, and learning from failure is all happy and lovey?

Wait, do you think I'm arguing against you, OMR?
                /me scratches his head
                Obviously, because you're missing the point of my argument: let them labor futilely under the lash of self-betterment; let them suffer, for it makes the lashers' lives better.

You're arguing against minimum wage because you believe in the twisted American Dream. You want them to work tirelessly because they might actually, some day, "make it".
                I'm arguing that it's a moot point, because there's nothing in the American Dream. They'll work tirelessly because it's one of two options they have: believe that they'll "make it", or accept that nothing they do really matters. Most people are optimistic.
                B♭3

Comment

/me hugs Shi.

Are you wearing your "compassionate conservative" emo T-shirt now?

j/k
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                    Sure there will always be people at the bottom... but as a society we have a choice whether or not to raise the quality of life for people, despite their bad decisions.
                    That's what I was saying, that we shouldn't simply say "screw you" to them.
                    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                      Exactly, if we are to call ourselves civilized we should treat the less well off with dignity.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi

That's what I was saying, that we shouldn't simply say "screw you" to them.
                        I'm confused, I thought you were a Republican.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                          One Mean Rabbit: It's fake to promise that if you work hard, You'll succeed, when there will always be losers in this "game". It is theoretically possible. There are not enough places in college, enough places at the top of the pyramid, and someone has to pick up the garbage. The notion that this someone is responsible for his fait, while there is always a loser, is ridiculous.
                          Why are you all ignoring that I said it takes more than just hard work? Perhaps because it is an indefensible position? Hmmm.

I know garbagemen who make good money, enough money to live on and provide enough for family.

Can someone do EVERYTHING right, and be poor at SOME point? Of course. Who doesn't fail? It's the learning from that, and coming back that is the difference. But over an entire lifetime? No, no excuse. And why are you only limiting success to upper management and professionals? Is a car salesman who provides for his family not successful? Even if he gives his children a better shot at life than he had? What about a man who does construction, and allows his kids to go to college with his hard work? Is he too unsuccessful? Please...

There is more than winner/loser in this economy. SO much in the middle, that can happily provide a good life to a family. Ignoring that fact to make a false point is just silly.

Comment

Damn, Q Cubed, you're like some sort of heartless slavedriver.

PLEASETELLMEYOUWERECYNICAL.

There's a reason why I cheer for the Machines every time I watch the Matrix.

Sans emotion, sans feeling, everybody would fit so much better into the the Great Machine trying to stave off entropy. Keep your head down and throw your efforts down the drain, because to do anything else is to invite Horror.
                            B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

Exactly, if we are to call ourselves civilized we should treat the less well off with dignity.
                              Treating them wiht dignity doesn't include telling them they can only have scraps like welfare because they were born unlucky.

Comment

The Libertarian scumbags like OMR seem to think we are supposed to live to work instead of work to live.

Comment

Working...
                                X