Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tennessee judge forcing immigrant mothers to learn English!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is crazy. If people don't want to integrate...to assimilate, then why bother to resettle to a new country.

to the judge.

to anyone who thinks they are helping people by not forcing them to learn the language.

Asmodean
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

This is a poor ruling:

What people miss here is the notion that to be a fit mother she must learn english- that is wrong, because what language she speaks has no bearing on her fitness as a mother.

A judge could very well demand that "fit parents" not carry out home schooling, or be banned from drinking or smoking even in moderate amounts..hell, the judge could even state that a parent found taking thier kids to fast food places was unfit using this notion of unfit.

Imran is correct, this is unconstitutional- an adult's fitness as parent has **** to do with the language they speak.

As for the child's learning- if the kid goes to a good school system, they will pick up english rapidly. Teaching languages is NOT a responsibiliuty of a parent, not one they can be held legally liable for. Hence, a piss poor ruling.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean
        This is crazy. If people don't want to integrate...to assimilate, then why bother to resettle to a new country.
        in some cases to get away from people who want to kill them. In others to give their CHILDREN a chance to assimilate.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

P.S. In areas such as Las Vegas where I live, it doesn't bother me that they don't speak English. This land belongs to them, and was stolen through aggression. But they can't make that claim about Tennessee. Though you could make the argument that the land belongs to the Southern Paiute (but they never occupied the entire valley anyways) and we should be learning their language . And before them it belonged to the anasazi.

Comment

Many of the students in my cursus are Franco-German. They have often learned the second language at school, while learning the first language at home (parents speaking French while living in Germany, or vice-versa), and they are perfectly fluent in both.

I support the idea that the State should fund language courses for immigrants, because language is an essential skill for whomever is not in a tight-knit community. But I don't think that "good parenting" is an argument for that. If the kids go to school or kindergarten, they'll catch up with the language without any problems.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
              This is a poor ruling:

What people miss here is the notion that to be a fit mother she must learn english- that is wrong, because what language she speaks has no bearing on her fitness as a mother.

A judge could very well demand that "fit parents" not carry out home schooling, or be banned from drinking or smoking even in moderate amounts..hell, the judge could even state that a parent found taking thier kids to fast food places was unfit using this notion of unfit.

Imran is correct, this is unconstitutional- an adult's fitness as parent has **** to do with the language they speak.

As for the child's learning- if the kid goes to a good school system, they will pick up english rapidly. Teaching languages is NOT a responsibiliuty of a parent, not one they can be held legally liable for. Hence, a piss poor ruling.
              Once again everyone jumps the gun as I reiterate the pertinent sections of the so called 'ruling'

a) The judge in question could not recall if the 'ruling' was advisory (and good advice at that) or if it carried the weight of an offical court ruling namely
              Tatum said the written order in the case hadn't been filed yet and he couldn't recall whether his direction that the mother learn English was merely a suggestion or carried the legal weight of an official court order.
              b) Even if it was an offical court order the implications to her being stripped of her offspring were not in jeopardy
              namely
              He said the mother's ability to learn English in this week's case would not directly influence her custody over the toddler.

''There are no repercussions in terms of termination of parental rights,'' Tatum said.
              c) Finally the specious arguement that says this is an infringement on her free speach is laughable as she is fully capable and in no way restrained from speaking in whatever language she prefers even after learning English.

In summary:

So at worst we have an offical court order where the women is required to take English classes but in no way will have any negative repurcussions born against her if she doesn't learn English to a degree of proficiency. In point of fact, no compunction is required for her to speak English on an ongoing basis.

More likely we have a court ruling giving suggestions to take English courses and use birth control.

Ohhh the horror of it all.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean

to the judge.

to anyone who thinks they are helping people by not forcing them to learn the language.

Asmodean
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Finally the specious arguement that says this is an infringement on her free speach is laughable as she is fully capable and in no way restrained from speaking in whatever language she prefers even after learning English.

Forced learning of a language, by the government, is a violation of her free speech rights. That is also the reason that an 'official' government language would probably have to be enshrined in a Constitutional Amendment.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    Finally the specious arguement that says this is an infringement on her free speach is laughable as she is fully capable and in no way restrained from speaking in whatever language she prefers even after learning English.

Forced learning of a language, by the government, is a violation of her free speech rights. That is also the reason that an 'official' government language would probably have to be enshrined in a Constitutional Amendment.
                    By that arguement, forced learning of the history of the US in preparation for citizenship would then likewise be an infringement, no?

Would this likewise apply to mandatory DUI classes, mandatory therapy, and other mandates of the courts that god forbid would actually help someones situation by forcing a new set of learnings upon them (gasp!)?

Again the point is simply this. Teaching someone something new is not an infringement, requiring they implement and use said teachings is.

Finally this is a whole lot of sepculation (tempest in a tea pot) considering it is unknown if the order was advisory or not.
                    Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; March 1, 2005, 15:19.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• By that arguement, forced learning of the history of the US in preparation for citizenship would then likewise be an infringement, no?

Would this likewise apply to mandatory DUI classes, mandatory therapy, and other mandates of the courts that god forbid would actually help someones situation by forcing a new set of learnings upon them (gasp!)?

Again the point is simply this. Teaching someone something new is not an infringement, requiring they implement and use said teachings is.

What are all these classes supposed to infringe upon? We are talking about the Freedom of Speech here. How can the government mandate that you take an English class and not infringe upon your right? You don't have to learn English if you don't want to.

DUI classes deal with a privilege, driving. Therapy as well doesn't infringe upon any constitutional right. And you are not forced to be a citizen, therefore saying you have to know American history to be a citizen isn't a violation (besides, you don't have to know American history to be a citizen these days anyway).

Think about this... if the government mandates you go to English classes, there must be a punishment for not going. You will punish the person for not learning the language (you can't just go and hang out, you have to pass).
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Think about this... if the government mandates you go to English classes, there must be a punishment for not going. You will punish the person for not learning the language (you can't just go and hang out, you have to pass).
                        Agreed which is even further the reason that this is a tempest in a tea pot considering the judge said there were essentially no consequences.

Comment

• Frankly, I think that was said to cover his own ass. Because now he claims he doesn't remember if he made it binding! Heheh

Comment

• Actually I think it was simply a matter of the reporter and ACLU attempting to make an issue out of something they had no basis for. Until the written order is filed this is much ado about nothing.

Comment

Working...
                            X