No announcement yet.

Missile Defence: Canada says "No way!!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The funny thing is that back when NORAD was formed, at a time when long range bombers were the primary threat the anti-aircraft missles used by the US to stop Russian bombers from reaching the US were equipped with nuclear warheads. The basic strategem planned was that once Soviet biombers were detected by the DEWS line supersonic fighters would streak northward from the northern US and intercept them in Canadian air space. In order to insure the destruction of the bombers nuclear antiaircraft missles would be used.
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Your point is? The threat then was different.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Also, somebody should tell paul cellucci that every time he opens his mouth another thousand people vote NDP.

He's not much of a diplomat. He manages to insult us even when he doesn't mean to...
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If people are shooting missiles at Canada then the world situation has already deteriorated to the point where missile defense won't help us.
          Most ICBMs would travel over Canada to get to the US. Hence if you plan to participate in NORAD, emphasis on NORTH AMERICAN, how can you not participate?
          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

a) Not true, unless you are planning to get attacked by Russia.

b) The NORAD agreement delineates what activities we collaborate on. Missile defense is not one of them (or at least it wasn't until we agreed to let you share NORAD info with the proposed missile defense system). NORAD places us under no obligation to let you build facilities in Canada for missile defense...
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Most ICBMs from likely "rogue state" sources in Asia would enter US airspace somewhere along the West Coast.

Russia's ICBMs would enter via the polar route. If we hypothesize the emergence of a South American nuclear power at some point in the future then its ICBMs would enter via the south.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

All Russian and Chinese missiles would enter via the poles, as the Chinese house their missles in the extreme north. NK's would probobly clip British Colombia, depending on where in the US they are shooting at.
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Do any of you people realise just how difficult it would be to create working ICBM systems? The only countries capable of maintaining it would be Russia and China. The best rogue states could do would be little better than V2's (see Iraq's Skuds during Gulf War I).
                  "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                  "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

I don't have any problem with Canada deciding not to decide. The US has gotten what it wanted anyway (NORAD info sharing).

If missile defense proves to be unworkable then the Canadian government can just let it die without Canadian involvement. If it proves to be a success, the Canadian government can join in the fun at an opportune time. In either event, it's just internal Canadian politics.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

What irks me about Martin's indecisiveness on this file is the impression he's pandering to the anti-American sentiments on the Canadian left by not participating. But then, if you ask me, the Liberals have been playing the anti-American card for at least the past three years, which disgusts me no end.
                      "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

nuke canada

Comment

Originally posted by optimus2861
                          But then, if you ask me, the Liberals have been playing the anti-American card for at least the past three years, which disgusts me no end.
                          I like to think of it more as a "we're not American" stance, "anti-American" is Saddam et al.

Comment

^ Oh, no, when you've got MPs and Prime Ministerial aides trotting out lines like "American bastards" and stomping on presidential dolls on television, it's more than just "We're not American". (Note that Parrish wasn't turfed until she trash-talked Martin himself; I think there's even money that if she hadn't done that, she'd still be in caucus)

It's been toned down under Martin to some degree (well, at least since Parrish got kicked out), but the undercurrent's still there.
                            "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              Most ICBMs from likely "rogue state" sources in Asia would enter US airspace somewhere along the West Coast.
                              No one thinks a missile attack is very likely but if North Korea or China did launch a missile targeting a place like Chicago then the likely route would be to arch up towards Alaska, through Canada and then into the lower 48.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                                No one thinks a missile attack is very likely but if North Korea or China did launch a missile targeting a place like Chicago then the likely route would be to arch up towards Alaska, through Canada and then into the lower 48.
                                It would be awesome if we could shoot down missiles intended for the US and make them land in Canada.
                                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                                X