Missile Defence: Canada says "No way!!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A slim majority of Canadians.

I imagine a massive majority of informed Canadians.

The problems with missile defence are:

(1) It doesn't appear to work.

(2) There already exists a nuclear deterrent sufficient to make anyone think twice about launching missiles at North American. Canada is fully involved in this defensive effort.

(3) It doesn't appear to work.

(4) The point of it is not to prevent the masses of Russian missiles (and probably Chinese missiles) from striking the US, but to allow the US the ability to strike smaller nuclear powers, who only have a few weapons without fear of retaliation. That's an idiot's gamble in my view.

(5) It will cost a fortune.

(6) It doesn't appear to work.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

You forgot to mention that it doesn't work.

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

I must admit that the attitude of Canadian conservatives is a bit weird.

They ***** constantly about the gun registry debacle, but missile defence will probably cost more and be a diplomatic turd around the neck of Canadian diplomats to boot.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
          Aggie's just pissed that NZ wasn't invited to the party.

Why would we be? We told America to get stuffed 20 years ago.
          And it made the news. Twice. Twenty years ago.
          He's got the Midas touch.
          But he touched it too much!
          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

We're still Yank free, thank you very much.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
              You forgot to mention that it doesn't work.
              Well yes, that too.

The main problem, however, is it is stupid. Why would a "rogue state" (whatever that is) go the length of trying to make ICBMs, when far simpler methods of delivery are available?
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

We're still Yank free, thank you very much.
                Our pleasure!

He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

UR, the short anwser is it is corporate welfare for defense contractors who give money to Republicans.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I must admit that the attitude of Canadian conservatives is a bit weird.

They ***** constantly about the gun registry debacle, but missile defence will probably cost more and be a diplomatic turd around the neck of Canadian diplomats to boot.
                    Won't cost us a dime, sweetheart.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

(4) The point of it is not to prevent the masses of Russian missiles (and probably Chinese missiles) from striking the US, but to allow the US the ability to strike smaller nuclear powers, who only have a few weapons without fear of retaliation. That's an idiot's gamble in my view.
                      You seem to think the Yanks are a bunch of idiots most of the time.

Why do you bet so heavily there will never be any idiots elsewhere with a few crude super-V2s?
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

A slim majority of Canadians.

I imagine a massive majority of informed Canadians.

The problems with missile defence are:

(1) It doesn't appear to work.

(2) There already exists a nuclear deterrent sufficient to make anyone think twice about launching missiles at North American. Canada is fully involved in this defensive effort.

(3) It doesn't appear to work.

(5) It will cost a fortune.

(6) It doesn't appear to work.
                        Point 2 is valid. Point 4 is kinda valid. The other points are BS.
                        What?

Comment

It must be that damn French insertion that contaminates the Anglo-Saxon spirit of Canada.

BTW, missile defence -- Progress can't be stopped. But, as usual, ones will parasitize at the expense of others.
                          Freedom is just unawareness of being manipulated.

Comment

Who would fire a missile towards Canada anyway?
                            Who shares the longest border with Canada?
                            "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
                              Why? Because they know that US missile interceptions will involve nuclear detonations over Canadian territory. And they know that if the US ever feels secure against nuclear retaliation, they are likely to consider a first strike against the enemy du jour.
                              Two counter-points:

1) Do you think for one second that because we say "No", the United States will hesitate for even one second to shoot down an incoming missile over Canadian territory if they feel they have to?

2) No democratic government would survive the political fallout from initiating a nuclear first strike against an adversary, even the most hard-line Republican administration you can think of. At the very least, the government would paralyse with investigations, inquires, hearings, and probably a few impeachment proceedings. To believe that the United States is going to go off half-cocked and start nuking other countries while boasting they can't be touched -- you've been listening to the NDP too much or something. Pure anti-American drivel.
                              "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

No democratic government would survive if it decided to launch an unprovoked attack against an insignificant country that posed no threat.
                                Golfing since 67

Comment

Working...
                                X