No announcement yet.

Correctional Service of Canada: No Whites Need Apply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Presumably, the CSB has found its guards to be in a white-boy-club situation, so they are acting to ameliorate that. Their only mistake was sending out the stupid rejection letter.
    Not quite. What the hell is the problem with not hiring minorities if they don't want the damn job. I understand diversity, but what does skin color have to do with that anyways. I would assume they are not just talking about having a prettier color scheme at morning formation, but diversity of ideas and skills. If this is their criteria for getting it, we have some rather hopeless racists in denial here.
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

For all time? I seriously doubt that. It's probably just for the current round of hiring.
      "And this year Harvard announces it will only accept whites, but just this year."
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
        So lets see, the Correction services have a field of equally qualified candidates (one assumes, unless people here are then going to start arguing that white cadidates are inherently better qualified, period), and have decide they will advantage certain candidates in order to fulfill other policy priorities....

Oh, yes, shameful- trully, trully terrible.

what kuci said.

Personally I don't mind systems where they favor the equally qualified minority candidate. I don't even mind much if they give such a candidate a few points extra as part of the selection process. But in this case, the very best candidate with far superior qualifications would told "no" if they are white. (edit to clarify)

What I don't like is any system that says a white person need not apply. Because who it impacts is some very well qualified 22 year old who's having a tough time finding a job because he's white. You can talk all you want about past discrimination but this poor kid remains unemployed BECAUSE of his supposed "ADVANTAGED situation" . . . oh and the assumption that all white people led rosy lives is also a pretty pathetic sterotype.

Absolutes-- I hate them. I think this type of policy would be much more palatable if you said something like 50 or 75% of new hires will be minorities. That way you still get any of the very best candidates that happen to be white and you avoid a complete racial divide between the senior and junior officers.
        Last edited by Flubber; February 23, 2005, 12:52.
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
          Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          No, they decide they will not accept any white candidates at all.

For all time? I seriously doubt that. It's probably just for the current round of hiring.
          So Harvard decides to only accept blacks and hispanics for the current round of admissions

Comment

So Harvard decides to only accept blacks and hispanics for the current round of admissions

Everyone should go to university. Not everyone should become a prison guard.
            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo

Everyone should go to university. Not everyone should become a prison guard.
              Oh thats compelling.

No the policy would not be for all time.

But I do recall a teacher's college in Ontario that began one of these diversity policies in the mid 90s and they estimated they would be hiring their next man in something like 20 years. So a whole generation of men would be essentially precluded from being a professor there.

To me that goes too far. When a program is designed to help a disadvantaged group, I can buy into that but I don't see it as necessary to do so by totally excluding the supposed advantaged group.
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

So correctional service = prison staff?

Anyway, people call this political correctcy? Last I heard it was decidedly unPC to make the right race the first criterion to get a job ...
                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                  i don't see anyone throwing fits when "black" colleges have staffs of thousands that are 90% minority.
                  How many whites apply to teach at historically Black colleges?
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

No, they decide they will not accept any white candidates at all. It's not just an "advantage" - it's total exclusion. It's as if Harvard decided it would only accept blacks and hispanics.
                    NO, they have decide they will not look at any MORE white candidates- this of course assume shtat they had many openings, many have been filled, but most of those by white applicants that got there early (early bird, worm, that sort of thing) and now they are looking to fulfil their other policy by hoping to get more qualified candidates from one pool.

Again, how awfull and terrible....
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal
                      Anyone want to argue that white middle class males aren't being discriminated against?
                      But we aren't just talking about the middle class are we? We also aren't talking about just males. It seems like poor white people are economically as downtrodden as poor people of other races yet they are also denied employment simply because of their race.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

But we aren't just talking about the middle class are we? We also aren't talking about just males. It seems like poor white people are economically as downtrodden as poor people of other races yet they are also denied employment simply because of their race.
                        All the other poor white people who applied early, got position were not discriminated against.

Comment

Yes it is awful and terrible. Telling an entire race or ethnicity not to apply at all because we've filled your numbers is utterly wrong, whether for policy reasons or whatever. To use the Harvard example. Imagine them telling minorities, don't apply anymore. We've filled your numbers.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Amen sister. A point conveniently overlooked by the social engineers.
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Agreed. The assumption that all white peope are middle class or that a given white person may not have faced hardship is as offensive a sterotype as any other.

When affirmative action policies are applied as absolutes and for a long time, I think it goes too far. The result can be that white men, many of whom may have never had much in the way of "advantages " can be totally eliminated from some areas of employment.

The old white guys got the advantages and now the young white guys get the shaft-- I'm just curious where the supposed big advantage is anymore on some indicators. IIRC men are going to and graduating college less than women now.... I would also be curious to see income stats for the under 30 crowd to see how men do??

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Yes it is awful and terrible. Telling an entire race or ethnicity not to apply at all because we've filled your numbers is utterly wrong, whether for policy reasons or whatever. To use the Harvard example. Imagine them telling minorities, don't apply anymore. We've filled your numbers.
                                Yup, telling people was wrong- they should have taken the applications anyway, and simply held on to them. The mistake was, as was said before, being stupid about telling people not to apply. Its not like you need to tell people what is done with their application once you get them, even if all you do is thrown them in the trash.

Poor PR all around by the Correction services.

Comment

Working...
                                X