No announcement yet.

Japanese male population falling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, the interests of individuals conflict with those of the state. Curious.

There's something noble about voluntary extinction. I think that theme was explored in Bradbury's Martian Chronicles.

But that's not correct, either. It's a clear case of interest of individuals conflicting the desires of individuals. (market failure, anyone? )
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

That's not correct either. Rather, it's a clear case of a rebellion against societal norms. It's a problem of societal norms versus the interest of the society. The government is only the one left trying to bring the two into harmony.

For the life of me, I can't understand why society would try to hold women to the "traditional" role in a marriage, given the falling birth rate. Strict adherence to the traditional role was abandoned long ago in the US, at least.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

umm, DanS, I don't think it's the root of the problem. Look at parallel cases in the rest of the world.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Which parallel cases?
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

parallel cases of collapsing populations ( europe )
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Hmmm...

Falling populations
              Rising productivity

Who is going to buy all the crap we produce?
              We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

build more spaceships
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Comment

I am glad that you agree.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Well, in futuristic Anime the Japanese people don't look Japanese...
                      Visit First Cultural Industries
                      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Indeed, next year Nishiki is set to pay the highest price for its shrinking population: Unable to sustain its annual budget, it will join a growing list of Japanese towns that have officially ceased to exist and have merged with a neighboring city.

These mergers are rampant in my prefecture right now. My friend lives in a little village that has the same problems as Nishiki and will officially cease to exist this May when it merges with Nara City. My town is going to become the center of a new city that will form this year. My town is growing and in decent shape, mainly because it's a commuter town for Osaka, but it's surrounded by 5 dying villages that can't afford to remain independent any longer. There's at least 2 similar mergers happening in Nara-ken that I can think of and more are probably on the way. And things will only get worse...
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

DT: Same sort of stuff is happening in the Korean countryside since Korean birthrates aren't much higher than Japanese ones (but I don't think they've been low for as long so the population isn't dropping quite yet), but the country is really emptying out due to the low birth rates and so many people moving to Seoul and its suburbs (about half the population now) some of the more rural provinces are already losing pop and its only a matter of time before the country in general start following Japan (unless there's mass NKorean immigration or something).
                          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Same stuff will happen in China soon, as well. And there we'll probably have the added X-factor of population decline setting in before the country is fully developed. God only knows what that will lead to...
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                              Same stuff will happen in China soon, as well. And there we'll probably have the added X-factor of population decline setting in before the country is fully developed. God only knows what that will lead to...
                              Plus they have the added problem of gender imbalance, as there are many more males than females...
                              I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

What a nightmare.
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X