No announcement yet.

Japanese male population falling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hum, are they requiring volunteers? Assistance? I'm up!
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
      BTW fertility rates in the Roman Empire collapsed in the last 150 years because of the huge raise of personal income taxes, forcing the masses to move away from cities

Also, those taxes were wasted on the army rather than on something useful like civic construction projects or feeding the poor.
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Well, let's put it down in a simple and short. This decline wasn't caused by the fertility rate fall ONLY. This was one of the main causes, but of course, a very important one. The main cause is officially called barbarian invasions, which are actually mostly mere migrations of non-romans coming from everywhere around the roman border, sometimes causing huge troubles in the previously roman provinces, where the citizens calling themselves "romans" suddendly became just a mere minorance and often fled, instead of becoming members of a new society.

The crash of the roman institutions such as government and military became more visible as the "roman" masses were hugely targeted by taxes, that caused an important movement of people from the cities to the countryside, where these peasants would eventually become servants of land owners, and setting the basis for feudalism, aka slavery of the peasants to the wealthy land-owners and the consitution of large regions dominated by these landlords, that would eventually form the noble-class of the Middle Ages.
        Such "institutions" became more important as quality of life in the roman cities started to collapse also from the constant raids of barbarians from the East, which the roman army wasn't any longer able to push back. Christianity also had a huge role in the fall of the Roman Empire, as the expansion of the roman provinces stopped and the flow of slaves from the captured lands disappeared quickly, also because slavery wasn't a nice thing to do for a converted christian
        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Taxes in the Roman Empire
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

So then why did Diocletian have to force people to remain on the land by law if people were fleeing the cities for the country?
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Lul Thyme
              Some people didnt read or understand the text properly (title was misleading)...
              there is no great gap between the female and male population in actual number or rate of change in Japan.
              Actually there is, for the reason I stated in my first post. Since it's a relatively new trend, it hasn't had time to fully manifest itself.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I'm not sure how Japan's population dropping, or China's, is in and of itself a bad thing. Both countries are ridiculously overpopulated, or were last I checked. Being me, I don't care for the abortion angle, but the drop in population would have to be absolutely catastrophic to really hurt Japan more than a continuing rise in population would...I think. Don't they have a population roughly half the size of the U.S.'s?
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I've never heard about a Japanese preference for girls and aborting of male fetuses stemming from said preference, che...
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Actually there is, for the reason I stated in my first post. Since it's a relatively new trend, it hasn't had time to fully manifest itself.
                    And what is that trend?

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit

You forgot one thing that is called "barbarian invasions" in italian textbooks, and "migrations" in german textbooks. BTW fertility rates in the Roman Empire collapsed in the last 150 years because of the huge raise of personal income taxes, forcing the masses to move away from cities

BTW plagues striked Europe for 600 years but didn't affect demographic growth
                      Are you sure about this (the plague part)?
                      Im not sure its the sole cause but I remember seeing graph and that period in Europe had slower growth than the previous period while for pretty much the rest of human history, growth has been increasing on the large scale (Except very recently)

Comment

I'm sure about the plague thing, I'm not talking about the total population of Europe (that collapsed) but about birthrates, that were still high, considering that in the MA it was common for a woman to have more than 3 kids (btw a LOT of them would eventually die before reaching 5 years old, so it's easy to think why)
                        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

TOKYO (Reuters) - Most single Japanese women prefer not to marry and believe they can live happily alone for the rest of their life, a poll showed Friday, casting another shadow on the future of a country plagued by a falling birthrate.
                          About seven in ten single Japanese women surveyed by the conservative Yomiuri newspaper said they would rather stay unwed.

"The result reflects a recent trend among single women who no longer attach social stigma to choosing the single life," the daily said.

Japan's government is struggling to stem a tumbling birthrate and keep the population from shrinking.

The country's fertility rate -- the average number of children born to a woman during her lifetime -- fell to 1.29 in 2003, the lowest in the post-World War II period.

In Tokyo, the figure was a startling 0.9987.

Underscoring concerns that an aging population may dent future growth in the world's second-largest economy, Japan said Monday that its population grew only 0.05 percent in the year to Oct. 1, its slowest increase in 54 years. Japan's population totaled an estimated 127,687,000 as of Oct. 1, 2004.

A government think tank has forecast that Japan's population will peak in 2006 and start to shrink the following year.

If present trends persist, the population would fall to about 100.6 million in 2050. Among oft-cited reasons for the falling birthrate are higher education levels, changing attitudes toward marriage and individual freedom, the high financial burden of child rearing, and the hardships involved for working women given long hours on the job and a persistent dearth of daycare.

The Yomiuri said 74 percent of surveyed men and women in their 20s said they believe women can be happy unmarried, while the rate dropped to 66 percent of those in their 30s and 58 percent in their 40s. "The result depicted a tendency among younger generations to remain single, leading observers to the conclusion that the number of people who marry late will further increase and will lower the birthrate," the newspaper said.

Unless steps are taken, the shortage of children will create problems for Japan including damage to its economic growth prospects, higher social welfare costs for individuals, and even psychological problems from poorly socialized youth, said a government white paper released in October.

Comment

You know, isn't it terrible, these selfish, self interested people choosing not to procreate!

Don't they know it is imperative for Capitalism for them to start having babies!!!

This is why women should not be educated! Keep them in the kitchen, having kids, and let the engines of Capitalism purr, baby!
                            If you don't like reality, change it! me
                            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

"The single life" stigmas

I'm single so...
                              more single foreign women
                              more rich single foreign women

Comment

You know, isn't it terrible, these selfish, self interested people choosing not to procreate!

Yes.
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X