Japanese male population falling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese male population falling

For the first time that I can think of, a country is starting to experience a falling male population without some shock such as war, disease, natural disaster, etc. The labor force is already declining and from next year, the entire Japanese population is expected to begin a long decline.

Drake will have to curb his appetite for Japanese PYTs.

Japan’s population set to fall from next year
    By David Pilling in Tokyo
    Published: February 22 2005 08:59 | Last updated: February 22 2005 08:59

japan workersThe number of men in Japan shrank for the first time since records began, heralding fall in the overall population from next year.
    ADVERTISEMENT

The decline in the number of men signals an historic shift in Japan's population, the aging of which is likely to have a profound influence on the country's pension system, labour market and tax base.

Jeff Kingston, director of Asian studies at Tokyo's Temple university, said one recent study showed present-day retirees would extract a surplus of Y60m in pension payments above the amount they had paid into the system over their lifetime. Conversely, an average 20-year-old would receive Y40m less than he or she contributed.

If current trends continue, Japan's population will fall for the rest of the century, with the most severe estimates suggesting it could shrink by nearly two-thirds to 45m by 2100, the same level as in 1910 Meiji Japan.

According to statistics released on Tuesday by the ministry of internal affairs, the number of Japanese men fell nearly 9,000, or about 0.01 per cent, to 62.295m in the 12 months to October 1 last year.

Excluding the war years, when Japan suspended detailed classification of its population, that was the first time the male population declined since records began in 1920.

The population as a whole rose by just 0.05 per cent, or 67,000 to 127.687m, the smallest increase since 1950, and in any year with the exception of 1945 when numbers fell dramatically as a result of death in war.

Last year, the number of people aged 65 or older rose to a record high of 19.5 per cent of the whole population, while those under 14 fell to an all-time low of 13.9 per cent.

The labour force also continued to shrink. People aged between 15 and 64 fell 170,000.

An official at the ministry of internal affairs said the decline in male population was explained by the fact that more men had gone abroad for work. Figures showed that the number of Japanese men leaving the country exceeded those returning by 31,000.

That could reflect external factors such as the fading of Sars and terrorist attacks as disincentives to move abroad, officials said. It could also be a reaction to falling wages in Japan, which have been dropping continuously for seven years in spite of some economic growth.

Concerns about Japan's changing demographics are forcing legislative as well as social changes. The government last year implemented a pension reform that will steadily erode benefits while increasing premiums. It is also pushing business to extend the retirement age beyond 65, though in practice companies are offering early retirement to high earners in their 50s in order to cut wage bills.

Mr Kingston said that Japanese youth had lost faith in the pension system. Nearly 40 per cent of those over 20, including students, who should be paying into the national pension scheme for the self-employed and unemployed were refusing to contribute, he said.

Additional reporting by James Gregory
    Last edited by DanS; February 22, 2005, 11:51.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Population decline is great from any number of angles:
    - less pressure on the environment
    - more comfortable living conditions for everyone
    - greater value of labour
    - bad for Capitalism

w00t.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

This is more than balanced by the increase in Chinese males. Soon it will be time to take revenge for 1933 (among other things).
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Meh. China probably will be experiencing similar things in about 2030. Its population growth rate is plummetting.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Why's only the male population declining?
          Visit First Cultural Industries
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

The female population will be declining in a couple of years too. Just the way the numbers work out.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
              Why's only the male population declining?

On average, males are stupider than females and die first.

Comment

Because Japanese women tend to want only one child, and they tend to prefer girls, so they're aborting the boys. Seems like Japan and China will be hooking up at last.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

more hot Japanese chicks for me.

Comment

As if it was something new. Such decline is noticeable so early in Japan as its immigrant population is low, compared to Europe and the USA, where, for the huge replacement due to immigration from easter europe and muslim world/mexico and latin america, this trend cannot be noticed unless you make a specific research on the demographic trend of the "natural" population of Japan, Europe and USA, which is btw expected to collapse to -50% by 2050 unless replaced by mass foreign immigration

Remember why the Roman Empire collapsed?
                    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Because their army took up more and more of their GDP while doing less and less aside from occassionally overthrowing the government?

Comment

Christianity? Malaria?

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                          Because they became Christian.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

As if it was something new. Such decline is noticeable so early in Japan as its immigrant population is low, compared to Europe and the USA, where, for the huge replacement due to immigration from easter europe and muslim world/mexico and latin america, this trend cannot be noticed unless you make a specific research on the demographic trend of the "natural" population of Japan, Europe and USA, which is btw expected to collapse to -50% by 2050 unless replaced by mass foreign immigration
                            Italy is in similar straits as Japan. Japan's population growth rate is 0.05% while Italy's is 0.09%. I wouldn't put the US in the same sentence as Japan and Italy, because the US is so different.

The Western Empire fell due to plague, among other things. It wasn't due to explicit choices by the masses. This explicit choice to have fewer children than is required for replacement over several generations appears to be the first of its type in history. Japan is the vanguard of this change.
                            Last edited by DanS; February 22, 2005, 14:49.

Comment

Note: I realize that there are several Eastern European countries with negative population growth. However, I view that as a long-running consequence of the man-made disaster of communism.

Comment

Working...
                              X