No announcement yet.

Republicans to Become Communists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am curious as to whether mainland China has any plans to return some land to the native Taiwanese inhabitants, if the two countries are ever united.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
      I am curious as to whether mainland China has any plans to return some land to the native Taiwanese inhabitants, if the two countries are ever united.
      I somehow think your curiosity is feigned
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
        PRC has a legitimate claim to the island of Taiwan, period. You don;t have to be in control to have said claim- the fact that Alsace and Lorraine were in German hands for 40 years meant nothing to the French claim of those territories.

Neither did the fact that Alsace and Lorraine were in French hands for 200 years to the German claim on those territories.

Territorial claims -- especially as pretexts for war -- are absurd archaisms that have no place in the modern world. Governments are constructs of people, not land. War itself is an illegal act that violates international solidarity and impedes social progress.

Bah.
        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

I somehow think your curiosity is feigned
          Maybe I'm just curious as to what the PRC's plans for the island are.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Let's set the record straight. During the Empire period of China, not one Emperor claim Taiwan. In fact during one internal struggle for power during one rein, the Emperor after the struggle was over order the Chinese that had fled to the Island to returned to the mainland and leave all of the now Taiwanese there.
            Fast forward to 1900. After China became a so call Republic, not one President claim Taiwan. Then we go to Japan taking over and after the Japanese lost the war, Taiwan returned to who ever was running thing before. No one claim it and the UN said we will decide later on the Taiwan question.
            Now come Chiang and his boys. They invaded the Island and kill thousand taking over. He claim the Mainland and not Taiwan, so the Mao returned the favor and claim Taiwan. However until Chiang claim the Mainland Mao never claim Taiwan.
            So no Chinese Government until the Communist has ever claim Taiwan, and they did it because of Chiang.

Comment

I was just in Taiwan and it was clrearly obvious that China is in control of the island, there are museums and monuments to Mao and the revolution everywhere (though not nearly as many as mainland china).

Im sure most Taiwanese citizens will claim they are part of an independant nation, but thats sure not the way it looks

Hong Kong on the other hand still looks and feels like it is free from China's control. (they also have 6mp cameras the size of cell phones and mp3 players barely bigger than sd cards that play mpegs)
              I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotamy

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph
                Let's set the record straight. During the Empire period of China, not one Emperor claim Taiwan.
                That is, indeed, quite untrue. AFAIK, Taiwan was part of China as late as the Sung Dynasty - probably earlier.

In fact during one internal struggle for power during one rein, the Emperor after the struggle was over order the Chinese that had fled to the Island to returned to the mainland and leave all of the now Taiwanese there.
                I am not sure how to begin with this one. Lets ignore historical documents for a moment, even though we have got heaps of that, from the official ones (e.g. History of Ming Dynasty) to local records. Just take a look at a map. Mainland China happens to be the closest land mass from Taiwan. Seeing that humans have travelled a greater distance at a much earlier age, it is absurd to assert that no Mainland Chinese crossed the narrow strait and settle on the island.

Fast forward to 1900. After China became a so call Republic, not one President claim Taiwan.
                That was completely unnecessary because the RoC was a legitimite successor to the Qing Dynasty, which happened to have Taiwan under its control.

Then we go to Japan taking over and after the Japanese lost the war, Taiwan returned to who ever was running thing before. No one claim it and the UN said we will decide later on the Taiwan question.
                No. The UN returned it to the RoC. That's why the RoC constitution, amended in 1947, included Taiwan as part of the country as GePap pointed out.

Now come Chiang and his boys. They invaded the Island and kill thousand taking over.

Source? Cite?
                Last edited by Urban Ranger; February 23, 2005, 23:32.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Why should he? You don't.
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                  X