Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
    You mean the ECMA standard?
    No, I mean the code that parses and executes Javascript in Mozilla and Firefox is legacy Netscape 4.x code. The original copyright dates are still on the CVS.

What's wrong with it? A modular structure beats a monolithic structure.

That's not my point -- my point was it was "kludged" into Mozilla and Firefox...

The CSS support is all messed up. ALL messed up.
    Are you saying there are CSS security vulnerabilities?

Funny thing. There's no flaw in Firefox on the same level as ActiveX.
    Yes, there is -- XPI.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Microsoft software happens to be full of holes might have something to do with that.
      Yes, because there's no holes in Linux or MacOS X...

All software platforms have holes in them. Period.

There's just little to no incentive for anti-social crackers to use any of them on other platforms. If they want the fame or publicity, they go for Windows...if they want quantity, they go for Windows...if they want access to credit card numbers, they go for Windows...

Almost as special as your luck with Linux on Athlon64
      Nope, because anyone with a RAID configured with the on-board RAID would run into the same problem, due to poor support for such devices in Linux.

Ditto for anyone with a Radeon 9800Pro back when I tried to install Linux for AMD64.
      Last edited by Asher; February 18, 2005, 10:53.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Look, if we're going to bash MS, can we at least do it for something relevent to the thread, and not the old security wars/bores?

Personally, I expect the new IE to make my life as a web designer more difficult.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
          Look, if we're going to bash MS, can we at least do it for something relevent to the thread, and not the old security wars/bores?

Personally, I expect the new IE to make my life as a web designer more difficult.
          They have pledged more support for standards in general, if that makes you feel any better.

Comment

They did so in the past too. I remain skeptical until I see the finished product.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I don't know about special components of such-and-such which might prevent certain problems. All I know is, my mother has to use Word as part of a consulting project she's working on, and she's lost files at least five times. She never lost one with WordPerfect, and they both have the same "save" menu, it's not like she should need special skills or anything. It's gotten to the point where she has to back everything up twice to make sure it's still there the next time she works on it.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I don't understand how you "lose" files.

Comment

My question is
                  Will IE7 have a different user agent string than IE6?

What I really want is for ALL user agent strings to contain build number info.
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                    I don't understand how you "lose" files.
                    Neither do we, that's the problem. We save, double-check where we saved it, and come back later to find the file has vanished or been badly saved to a corrupted form somehow. It only happens with Word. We scan our PC for viruses at decent intervals, and even if it were a virus it would seem to be a virus that can't attack WordPerfect, only Word.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Judging from that article it will mostly be a security update and we won't be seeing any improvements in standards compliance. After all, IE has such a large user base, they need to be backwards compatible unless they want to break half the world's websites and confuse all Windows users who don't know or care about standards and just want pretty pictures.

The improved security features will only mean more users will stick with IE and not switch to Firefox. So designing web pages will remain as difficult as ever.

And since I don't have Windows XP anyway, this will probably have zero effect for me.

I can only hope they add full PNG support, support the application/xhtml+xml MIME type and improve IE's standards-compliant mode a bit.
                      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
                        After all, IE has such a large user base, they need to be backwards compatible unless they want to break half the world's websites
                        Their problem

Not that SP2 doen't break applications.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Their problem

Not that SP2 doen't break applications.
                          The reason SP2 took so long to come out and so much effort was because of a huge effort on their part to ensure applications don't break.

You'll likely never see that kind of attitude in the Linux world...

Or even MacOS world.

Comment

Hasn't the Longhorn beta been delayed again?
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                              You'll likely never see that kind of attitude in the Linux world...
                              OTOH, I haven't seen any Linux kernel patch that breaks applications.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Or even MacOS world.

Really? None of my apps have broken due to updates. There were a few ones that didn't make the transition from OS 9 to the Classic Shell, but none I ever used.
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X