No announcement yet.

IE 7, coming soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the terminologies are misleading different. Windows isn't just an operating system. It's also a graphical environment, a suite of utilities, and a bazillion other things.

Linux is just the kernel. The utilities are GNU, the graphical enironment is X, the graphical controls are QT/GTK/etc, and so on.

But Asher is technically right and Urban Ranger is technically wrong. There are more holes in a Windows installation than in a Linux installation, but there are more holes in the Linux kernel than in the Windows kernel.

An OS has a system space and a user space. The kernel is system space and the applications are user space. Switching between the two incurs overhead, and a lot of things can only be done in system space. So, you can stick humongous hardware drivers into system space and bloat the kernel, or you can keep them in user space and suffer a penalty every time you switch contexts to the slim kernel.

Is it just me or is the above incoherent? Bah, humbug.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Sticking everything in the kernel also makes the kernel less structured and harder to maintain, which leads to those bugs everybody's talking about.

SP
      I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

In the last thread where the kernels were discussed, UR let it drop (as usual) off the front pages.

He was making fun of Windows for being monolithic at that point.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I was using OSX the other day. I managed to crash it twice, and the apps I was using (ImageReady & Dreamweaver) three times. Mac
          So you're a lamer. What else is new?
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
          X