Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ack! Bush tries to curb class actions suits!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good legislation
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

One suggestion by Bush I would support. The "sue system" was one of the few things I hated about USA even back when I was a big US fan. The system favors people who pretend to be idiots who are not responsible for their own actions. Things like getting "a billion dollars damage" for spilling coffe in your lap (it was 3 degrees too hot) or microwaving your dog (there was nothing about that in the manual).
      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

It's a good bill. A national class action suit belongs in the federal courts. They didn't belong in a jurisdiction which only became eligible by the fact that a single product might have been sold in that county.

Imran, how is it that these suits haven't been covered by the interstate commerce clause?
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I wasn't sure that filing a lawsuit counts as 'commerce' .

The only commerce involved is the lawyer representing the class, and they are regulate that under the ICC, but the actual suit? Nah.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
            Things like getting "a billion dollars damage" for spilling coffe in your lap (it was 3 degrees too hot)
            When the company had over 750 previous complaints of the coffee being so hot that it was burning people and that the person reeived 2nd and 3rd degree burns on her genitals because she couldn't rip her clothing off fast enough, yeah, I think a major judgement was warranted. Just because the woman was in her 50s doesn't mean she was never going to have sex again. Now she has scar tissue where she should have nerve endings. It is the company's responsibility to serve a safe product, and not one which will cause injuries even when used as intended (if drunk immediately it will cause burns in the mouth).
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

If she hadn't put the cup in her lap while driving her car, she wouldn't have spilled it in her lap and burned herself.

Yeah... the coffee was too hot, but I hate seeing morons like that get a cent. Drinking a too hot cup of coffee and burning your mouth is one thing... being an idiot by putting it between your legs while driving a car is another
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Suing tobacco companies for giving you cancer
                So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  I wasn't sure that filing a lawsuit counts as 'commerce' .

The only commerce involved is the lawyer representing the class, and they are regulate that under the ICC, but the actual suit? Nah.
                  Haven't you heard? Somewhere, somehow, it may have some effect on interstate commerce ergo the federal government has complete and total license to regulate every aspect of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                    If she hadn't put the cup in her lap while driving her car, she wouldn't have spilled it in her lap and burned herself.

Yeah... the coffee was too hot, but I hate seeing morons like that get a cent. Drinking a too hot cup of coffee and burning your mouth is one thing... being an idiot by putting it between your legs while driving a car is another
                    Technically, in the stated case, the woman's grandson was driving.

And Che? If you're telling me that the chain itself, consisting of 6,000 restaurants in the US, representing $1.3 million in coffee sales alone each day (an average of 450 per US restaurant per day) has received a total of 750 complaints over a decade that the coffee was too hot... well, that ain't ****. They likely received more complaints about the quality of the McRib in the month following its introduction than they received about the "too-hot" coffee over the decade prior to the case.

She was also 79 (not in her 50's as you claimed). Not that that matters, but it helps to get your facts right when making your case.

Comment

stop bringing reality into this, JohnT

Comment

Wait a minute....I go away for a year and Imran's a leftist?!
                        "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                        You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Of course, the fact that coffee experts claim that the best brewing temperature for coffee is 96-98 C (195-205 F), means that McDonalds isn't making their coffee too hot... the other restaurants are serving it too cold!

Comment

Originally posted by orange
                            Wait a minute....I go away for a year and Imran's a leftist?!
                            Oh, no. This complaint is hitting him in his (or his future partners') wallets. Hence the "rage".

Comment

There's a lot of Bush-slamming going on in his posts though...?
                              "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

It helps him be considered "cool" around these here parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X