Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ack! Bush tries to curb class actions suits!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS
    Edit: Oh, oh. That's not what you wrote originally. Tsk, tsk.
    DanS'd ya.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
      All of my clients are European companies, who already have sane litigation laws in their own countries.
      Europe also has much stricter regulation, thus mitigating the need for torts. You need a strong system of at least one or the other, but you seem to be opposed to both. Caveat emptor is not a viable system.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
        direct democracy is the way to go. no way would this law have passed if given a referendum.
        Don't be so sure. You would have had the Bush propaganda that this stuff is making your doctors move away, etc.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Anyone got a list?

YEAs ---72

Alexander (R-TN)
          Allard (R-CO)
          Allen (R-VA)
          Bayh (D-IN)
          Bennett (R-UT)
          Bingaman (D-NM)
          Bond (R-MO)
          Brownback (R-KS)
          Bunning (R-KY)
          Burns (R-MT)
          Burr (R-NC)
          Cantwell (D-WA)
          Carper (D-DE)
          Chafee (R-RI)
          Chambliss (R-GA)
          Coburn (R-OK)
          Cochran (R-MS)
          Coleman (R-MN)
          Collins (R-ME)
          Conrad (D-ND)
          Cornyn (R-TX)
          Craig (R-ID)
          Crapo (R-ID)
          DeMint (R-SC)
          DeWine (R-OH)
          Dodd (D-CT)
          Dole (R-NC)
          Domenici (R-NM)
          Ensign (R-NV)
          Enzi (R-WY)
          Feinstein (D-CA)
          Frist (R-TN)
          Graham (R-SC)
          Grassley (R-IA)
          Gregg (R-NH)
          Hagel (R-NE)
          Hatch (R-UT)
          Hutchison (R-TX)
          Inhofe (R-OK)
          Isakson (R-GA)
          Jeffords (I-VT)
          Johnson (D-SD)
          Kohl (D-WI)
          Kyl (R-AZ)
          Landrieu (D-LA)
          Lieberman (D-CT)
          Lincoln (D-AR)
          Lott (R-MS)
          Lugar (R-IN)
          Martinez (R-FL)
          McCain (R-AZ)
          McConnell (R-KY)
          Murkowski (R-AK)
          Nelson (D-NE)
          Obama (D-IL)
          Reed (D-RI)
          Roberts (R-KS)
          Rockefeller (D-WV)
          Salazar (D-CO)
          Schumer (D-NY)
          Sessions (R-AL)
          Shelby (R-AL)
          Smith (R-OR)
          Snowe (R-ME)
          Specter (R-PA)
          Stevens (R-AK)
          Talent (R-MO)
          Thomas (R-WY)
          Thune (R-SD)
          Vitter (R-LA)
          Voinovich (R-OH)
          Warner (R-VA)

NAYs ---26

Akaka (D-HI)
          Baucus (D-MT)
          Biden (D-DE)
          Boxer (D-CA)
          Byrd (D-WV)
          Clinton (D-NY)
          Corzine (D-NJ)
          Dayton (D-MN)
          Dorgan (D-ND)
          Durbin (D-IL)
          Feingold (D-WI)
          Harkin (D-IA)
          Inouye (D-HI)
          Kennedy (D-MA)
          Kerry (D-MA)
          Lautenberg (D-NJ)
          Leahy (D-VT)
          Levin (D-MI)
          Mikulski (D-MD)
          Murray (D-WA)
          Nelson (D-FL)
          Pryor (D-AR)
          Reid (D-NV)
          Sarbanes (D-MD)
          Stabenow (D-MI)
          Wyden (D-OR)

Not Voting - 2

Santorum (R-PA)
          Sununu (R-NH)

Suprised by Obama's vote.
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

The number of democrats who voted for this is disturbing...

Comment

Democrats are worse than useless.

Comment

Suprised by Obama's vote.
                And Lincoln's. But Pryor did the right thing on this one.

The number of democrats who voted for this is disturbing...
                As disturbing as the number of Republicans who voted against it...
                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

As disturbing as the number of Republicans who voted against it...
                  Yep.
                  Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Where the hell was Edwards in that list?
                    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

He's not a Senator anymore. He didn't run for re-election and a Republican won his seat.
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                        He's not a Senator anymore. He didn't run for re-election and a Republican won his seat.
                        Damn forgot that factoid.
                        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

over 70% of privately filed multistate party class actions in the USA are forum shopped and filed in JUST THREE COUNTIES in the entire country. The bill is to control forum shopping by scurilous plaintiff's attornies. The reason plaintiff's attornies dislike the federal courst is stricter standards of practice, particularly reagarding BS pseudo-scientific evidence and real penalties for attornies who break the rules.
                          Last edited by Lefty Scaevola; February 11, 2005, 16:14.
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

It's a good bill. A national class action suit belongs in the federal courts. They didn't belong in a jurisdiction which only became eligible by the fact that a single product might have been sold in that county.

The practice of awarding coupons didn't end up hurting the companies at all. It's good to see that curtailed. In some cases (KB toys) companies were forced to have sales, which of course they could use to their advantage, drawing more customers into their stores.

The democrats are spinning the issue (The republicans too, but in my opinion to a lesser degree) If a third of the plaintiffs are in state then the class action can still be filed in state. So state issues can still be filed in state, but national issues will have to be decided on a national level, doesn't that make sense?

It's nice to give the Republicans a since I haven't been able to for a while. Then again their FICA plans
                            Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

So state issues can still be filed in state, but national issues will have to be decided on a national level, doesn't that make sense?

Are we planning on doing this will all suits that have a 'national' component to them? If so, prepare for flooding of the federal court system. After all, suits involving Constitutional issues of state law are also a national issue.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The 'coupon case' slap at the trial lawyers will be popular; restricting the attornies from pocketing millions in cash when the plaintiffs only get coupons form the defendant company is going to chap the shysters' asses.

"The bill also would limit lawyers' fees in so-called coupon settlements -- when plaintiffs get discounts on products instead of financial settlements -- by linking the fees to the coupon's redemption rate or the actual hours spent working on a case."
                                Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                                Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                                "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                                From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Working...
                                X