No announcement yet.

'Bullying'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NYE, I think we all can agree that combine is an extreme example were even without zero talkerance policies teachers should have intervined. I'm not talking about a hands off policy instead I'm urging a common sense policy where guidelines are given but ruling are made at the local level rather then just saying every case of name calling ends in suspension. Educate the educators so they can better identify bullying and handle it effectively but give locals the freedom to let the punishment fit the crime.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Why? There are more than a few teen suicides due to 'harmless' taunts. Columbine made the news, the tragedies play out daily everywhere else outside of the eye of the camera.

Why should there be anything other than zero tolerance of behaviour that turns the lives of others into a living nightmare?

I am positive I do not trust the local school authorities with the life of my nephew. Why would we trust the lives of our children with the judgement of people who have missed the mark so many times in the past?
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Three things we're doing to make sure that Sophie takes no gruff:

1. Since she was born October 10, she'll be one of the older kids in her class, her next birthday coming right in the beginning of the cut-off date, allowing us to "hold her back" a year if we want. We much prefer that Sophie be one of the older (and bigger!) kids in her class than having her one of the younger and smaller kids. Y'all without kids don't realize this, but that extra year makes a LOT of difference in a childs maturity and personality.

2. Sophie will be soon taking some martial arts classes (mom is thinking Aikido, primarily because a friends mother is an Aikido instructor) at least by this summer. I can think of worse things than to have my daughter know how to defend herself - and go on the offensive, if necessary.

3. She is a very pleasant, friendly child who is well-mannered with other kids and adults. One of the things she likes to do is show people our house - "This is mama's room... and daddy's room too!" That's not typical behavior for the just-turned-three, and shows a confidence in dealing with people that will help her avoid bullying situations in the first place.

Here's the thing, Seeker:

There was this one kid that I beat on from grades 5-8 at the bus stop. He was guilty of several crimes: 1)Immobili Boys Choir 2) High-pitched voice 3) Looked like sissy 4) Name was 'Prettyman'. It was pretty much a form of stress relief but I'm sure he knew it was all in good fun, I never damaged him much and I'm sure that in his future life he was greatly trained and toughened to deal with lifes many adversities.

So, what reward did you get out of it? Bully's don't bully because it is painful ... no. They do it because they crave that look in his eyes, that look that said, yes, you won again, you ********.

It's not because "we" don't want kids' feelings getting hurt, it's because we need to teach bullies that there is something wrong, evil even, in purposely inflicting fear on to other people for no other reason than an emotional, proto-orgasmic release on their part.

In the meantime, however, I advise y'all from sending your kids over to pick on Sophie. She'd whump all your azzez.

*This last clause is spoken from any bullied's POV and is not directed at Seeker personally. The internet has just killed subtlety and disclaimers like this are necessary. Sigh...

Comment

"A little too overt ("Why, bullying is HONOURABLE!") but it still got bites "

Thanks, I do think it's a fine art, all in the cast, the wrist, the way the lure dances over the water...
          "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
          "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
          "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

True.

Comment

At the same time, common sense is a wonderful thing. I have read stories about the 9 year olds suspended for forming a gun with thumb and fore-finger.

Yes, it can get silly. The sillyness only reinforces how little we can trust people with weak degrees (I am being poilte) with the lives of our yougsters. Some hard rules are in order, and common sense coming from a higher power. It is clear we can't count on common sense at the local level.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I've been on all 3 sides of this. Bullied in elementary and occasionally in high school (I was young for the grade and pretty damn small until I was 14 or so), pushed around my younger brother at home until we were in our midteens, *****-slapped a couple of people in my mid to late teens when I thought they were bullying people.

Bullying can sometimes be pretty vicious. It's definitely not always fun and games. But kids will be kids. It's not something you can eliminate entirely.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker

Thanks, I do think it's a fine art, all in the cast, the wrist, the way the lure dances over the water...
                  But it's very topical for a troll. Sort of a public service troll.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                    I've been on all 3 sides of this. Bullied in elementary and occasionally in high school (I was young for the grade and pretty damn small until I was 14 or so), pushed around my younger brother at home until we were in our midteens, *****-slapped a couple of people in my mid to late teens when I thought they were bullying people.

Bullying can sometimes be pretty vicious. It's definitely not always fun and games. But kids will be kids. It's not something you can eliminate entirely.
                    So was I. Even though I was bigger than everyone else, some idiots thought they would target me. Usually a mistake.

I didn't have younger siblings, but I surrendered to the power at least once when I picked on another kid who was vulnerable.

For the most part, many of the fights I got into were because someone decided to pick on a friend of mine.

I got into a verbal scrap with an algebra teacher because he was being cruel to a classmate who just hadn't got it yet.

You're right it is hard to eliminate, but when teachers engage in it, you have a lot of room to reign it in.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

I agree with that. I think (especially up to grade 8 or so) the teacher's responsibility is not only to educating but also to help everyone become socially well-adjusted. Being bullied sometimes really ****s up people's lives. Being a bully can do so too. If you're still pushing people around when you're 20 just because you can you're not going to get very far.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'd just like to say: "Proto-Orgasmic"

Thank you. That is all.
                        "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                        "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                        "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker

Uh Huh. Sure. You definitely had trolling in mind when you made that post. Someone as honorable as you wouldn't think of cowardly ducking behind the "I was only trolling" Defense after you got a bad response.
                          "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Why would someone troll on a subject like this? Seeker, are you mentally defective?
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

Kick that dweeb's ass, NYE.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Then we'll take his lunch money...
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum