No announcement yet.

Carly Fiorina kicked out of HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem isn't with her lacking any balls, it's with her not understanding her market, being a philosopher and all.
    Oh whatever... as if a peon like you could run a large company. If I had a company to run, I'd still pick her over you.

But if it was money, I'd pick George Soros or Carl Icahn over her. Both took philosophy.

MSNBC reports that the reason she got fired is basically the Compaq deal, which she pushed through by a whisker.
    Last edited by Agathon; February 9, 2005, 13:27.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      Which is why Oracle buying PeopleSoft is going to hurt them, too.

IBM must love its current competitors...
      I can tell you that SAP LOVES this deal.
      What?

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
        Oh whatever... as if a peon like you could run a large company. If I had a company to run, I'd still pick her over you.
        I'm sure once I get to her age, with her collective experience, I could make a much more effective CEO.

I'm sure even now I could do a better job. I would never, ever, consider a merger with Compaq for one.

It's sad that someone of my age and stature has a better grip on the market and what it wants than someone like her who's worked in it for decades.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
          Sony is a weak company. A vast destroyer of value. Toshiba ain't so hot, either.
          Both of the companies main problem has been trying to profit in a hardware industry were prices keep falling but they still keep large parts of their manufacturing in a high cost country (Japan) instead of moving just about everything to a country where they can compete. Both companies have suffered from bad management who isn't hungry to chase new niches but their model is fine.

Take Samsung, nearly the same model but the management is always on the watch for new niches and they are always cutting costs. The problem is not the model it is the management. You can talk about how profits are flat and the stock isn't going any where but the truth is these are large stable companies with strong brands that just need management to do some unJapanese things.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Philosophers running high tech companies...only in America
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

We had this discussion before. For the last time: she wasn't a philosopher. She has a degree in philosophy, that's all. She's a business woman first and foremost. She had a business training, she probably has lots of experience, a nice thick cv, and she was probably good at what she was doing. That's why HP gave her the job, not because she has a degree in philosophy. And I'm not saying philosophers can run big companies either.
              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

The reason I'm branding her a philosopher was because several nameless people on these forums pointed to her as a someone when I asked for "useful modern philosophers". It's either another example of "philosophers" taking credit for people who actually aren't philosophers, or a spectacular example of why a philosopher is inept to run a high-tech business. It's win-win for me.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Comment

Foreshadowing at its best.

Comment

Women running things

Q: "Dude, are you being sarcastic?"
                      A: "I don't even know anymore."

If you make the same damn joke every single time, you'll **** over your brain in ways you don't intend.
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

a spectacular example of why a philosopher is inept to run a high-tech business. It's win-win for me.
                        Like I said, she's not a philosopher: she's an experienced business woman. So you can't say it's a spectacular example of why a philosopher is inept to run a high-tech business. Even she was one, who said trained philosophers should be able to run companies? After all, we're not trained to do so. If I want to run a company, I go to business school.
                        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                          Like I said, she's not a philosopher: she's an experienced business woman. So you can't say it's a spectacular example of why a philosopher is inept to run a high-tech business. Even she was one, who said trained philosophers should be able to run companies? After all, we're not trained to do so. If I want to run a company, I go to business school.
                          Meh, some of the best CEOs in history never went to business school.

Business school is not something I would ever be interested in. I don't think leaders should be trained on how to run a business, they should be able to think outside of the box.

Comment

Business training is good, still, I'd expect some kind of background in the field that the company's products are in. Otherwise, the company lacks long term vision.
                            Visit First Cultural Industries
                            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Smiley, I believe you're right. The best bosses not only know the principles of running a business but they also have detailed, in depth knowledge of the business, their costumers, and their competitors. I'd like to get an MBA in a year or two but I acknowledge B-Schools have over sold themselves. They keep trying to sell the stupid idea that a good manager is the key and he can be moved to any business anf still be a success. That's a lie; the best business leaders know their clients inside and out and they know their field inside and out. That's how they tell a good idea from a bad idea plus gives them an idea of what's possible and what the market will do.

Engineering companies should be headed by people who know engineering, banking by people who know finance, baking by a baker, etc...
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The reason I'm branding her a philosopher was because several nameless people on these forums pointed to her as a someone when I asked for "useful modern philosophers". It's either another example of "philosophers" taking credit for people who actually aren't philosophers, or a spectacular example of why a philosopher is inept to run a high-tech business. It's win-win for me.

And one example doesn't prove a thing. IIRC you claimed that philosophy was useless unless you wanted to teach it. That is patently not the case. Many people who do it find it excellent preparation for all sorts of things.

You might as well say that one example of a CS major or engineer being fired from a major company is testament to the uselessness of that degree.

But as usual, you are just displaying that you are ignorant.
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X