Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carly Fiorina kicked out of HP

Fiorina forced out at HP
    One of most powerful women in corporate America leaving computer maker after fight with the board.
    February 9, 2005: 9:49 AM EST

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Hewlett-Packard Co. Chairman and CEO Carly Fiorina, one of the most powerful women in corporate America, is leaving the troubled computer maker after being forced out by its board.

Shares of HP (Research) rose about 9 percent in heavy trading on the New York Stock Exchange Wednesday morning on the news.

Fiorina, the only female CEO at a company in the Dow Jones industrial average, had been with the HP since 1999. But the company's controversial deal to buy Compaq in the spring of 2002 -- after a bruising proxy fight led by one of the Hewlett family heirs -- has not produced the shareholder returns or profits she had promised.

"While I regret the board and I have differences about how to execute HP's strategy, I respect their decision," Fiorina said in a statement released by the company.

Fiorina told analysts in December that Hewlett Packard (Research) had seriously considered breaking up the company on three separate occasions but each time decided against it.

Some industry analysts had argued HP should either split off its lucrative printer and imaging business, or break HP into separate firms, with one focusing on consumers and the other on corporations.

But during a conference call Wednesday morning, HP CFO Robert Wayman, who was named interim CEO, suggested that no major changes in strategy would take place following Fiorina's departure.

"We continue to believe we have the right ingredients for success in the marketplace," Wayman said during the call.

HP stock has been a laggard compared to the shares of rivals such as Dell (Research) and IBM (Research). It was trading at only about 13 times 2005 earnings estimates before the announcement, while shares of IBM and Dell traded at 17 times and 26 times forecasts for the current year.

The legendary Palo Alto, Calif.-based company has struggled to generate profits in the cutthroat hardware business, particularly in personal computers. In fact, slowing sales and stiff competition in the PC business led IBM to announce last year that it would sell its PC unit to China's Lenovo Group -- a deal that some lawmakers are eyeing for what they call national security concerns.

PCs aren't the only trouble spot for HP. In the market for servers -- the computers used to build corporate networks -- analysts say HP has been squeezed by IBM on the high end and Dell on the low end.

The troubles at HP were among the factors that prompted Fortune to demote Fiorina to No. 2 on its list of most powerful women in business, behind eBay CEO Meg Whitman. Fiorina had been No 1 since the list was created in 1998.

Fortune also has a cover story in the current issue entitled, "Why Carly's big bet is failing" with the tag line: "Buying Compaq hasn't paid off for HP's investors. And there's no easy way out."

In its statement, the board said it will start hunting for a new CEO immediately, and that Wayman will remain as CFO. Patricia Dunn, an HP director since 1998, was named non-executive chairman.

During the conference call, Dunn said no other executives changes were planned. She added that the recent round of negative press had no impact on the board's decision to

HP also said it will report results as scheduled after the market close on Feb. 16.

It said it expects results to be in line with the consensus of analyst expectations, after excluding special items. Analysts expect HP to report a profit of 37 cents a share on that basis, up 5 percent from a year ago, on sales of $20.9 billion, up 7 percent.

But Dell, by way of comparison, is expected to report an 18 percent increase in sales and 25 percent jump in profits when it reports its fiscal fourth-quarter results after the closing bell Thursday.
    Damn Philosophers.

From CNN's poll, 66% of people think this is a good thing.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Everyone knew this was coming and they've been saying since shortly after Fiorna bought Compaq. It is almost never possible to merge two large companies and get the synergies she was claiming without pissing off costumers and losing sales.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Which is why Oracle buying PeopleSoft is going to hurt them, too.

IBM must love its current competitors...
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Damn Philosophers
        We should stick to things like running the Catholic Church and Canada.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

I blame it on HP's decision to offer I pods.
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Breaking up the company into three parts wouldn't be good in the long run either. Wall Street would like it because it would generate short term faster growth thus giving investors big short term profits. In the long run though you'd end up with three weak companies which will be swallowed by their competitors or who will be too small to compete. This is what happened to AT&T and now that company is virtually dead.

If the goal is to provide short term profits for speculators then break ups are good. If your goal is to provide a large, healthy, industry leader then the break ups are bad. Sure, sell off non-core businesses and refocus but don't destroy a great company just so speculators can turn a quick buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
              We should stick to things like running the Catholic Church and Canada.
              It seems you guys have a penchant for scandals and unethical behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                Breaking up the company into three parts wouldn't be good in the long run either. Wall Street would like it because it would generate short term faster growth thus giving investors big short term profits. In the long run though you'd end up with three weak companies which will be swallowed by their competitors or who will be too small to compete. This is what happened to AT&T and now that company is virtually dead.

If the goal is to provide short term profits for speculators then break ups are good. If your goal is to provide a large, healthy, industry leader then the break ups are bad. Sure, sell off non-core businesses and refocus but don't destroy a great company just so speculators can turn a quick buck.
                I think breakups can be good, in some cases. It's part of the image. If a company makes everything under the sun, under the same brand, it gives the impression that they put less effort into one area or another.

It makes sense, to me, to have 2 HPs: the Consumer HP, and the Business HP.

It's the similar reasoning behind IBM not entering the consumer marketspace. In the few areas they have done so, they've spun off companies (ie, Lexmark) or sold them off. It's harder to take HP seriously when buying a $100M data center from them, when they're selling iPods at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  Yeah, but it's probably gonna make my friend quite happy monetarily.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    Yeah, but it's probably gonna make my friend quite happy monetarily.
                    I'm going to assume your friend didn't work for PeopleSoft.

Oracle laid off half of PeopleSoft's work force via courier mail on the weekend.

Comment

I'm thinking more along the lines of her options.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

IBM must love its current competitors...
                        Software is easier to merge then hardware but eventually they will have to rationalize the product line and that will piss off some people. They'll have to settle on standards as well which currently there are two different for just about everything so still more people will be pissed off.

Comment

It seems you guys have a penchant for scandals and unethical behaviour.
                          The secret is out.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                            Software is easier to merge then hardware but eventually they will have to rationalize the product line and that will piss off some people. They'll have to settle on standards as well which currently there are two different for just about everything so still more people will be pissed off.
                            Oracle currently doesn't publish any software that competes with Peoplesoft, which was the reason for the purchase. They had started to make one, but that's been scrapped now that they own Peoplesoft.

The problem is the corporate cultures. Peoplesoft was very casual, Oracle is not. Now Oracle spent 18 months in a hostile takeover attempt, and laid off half of the employees via courier mail on the weekend.

The other Peoplesoft employees are bound to just quit, leaving Oracle with a huge application base and no one familiar with it.

Comment

Asher: Sony, Toshiba, and Samsung all successfully maintain strong positions in multiple fields as do a few European Companies. It is actually a big strength for them because although growth is slower the companies are more secure and have deeper pockets to weather the downsides. that's important in low margin businesses.

You don't want to do everything under the sun but if you are an electronics company it makes sense to do both consumer and corporate sales. It uses the same set of skills, reforces the brand to potential costumers, and if you use flexible manufacturing it means you have more products to choose from when trying to maximize manufactuing capicity utilization.

Comment

Working...
                              X