Woman succesfully sues girls for giving her cookies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
    You have a soul? How did you steal it? Do you keep it in a jar?
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Homeland Security.

It has come to this.
      Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Attack the issue, not the posters.
        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

The real blame is with the jury. Does any other nation use such a system?

I'm personally awaiting the Pekka response to this.
          Visit First Cultural Industries
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
            The real blame is with the jury.
            juries
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Government imposed curfews:

Setting up curfews is the responsibility of the parents. I am sick and tired of the government acting as a nanny telling people how they can and can't act, the nanny state stifles local communities.

Comment

Regardless of the motives and the nice gesture, they did cause someone to have medical problems, and so were responsible.
                By knocking on the door.

By ****ing knocking on the ****ing door.

That'll teach those girls a lesson -- next time, just knock the door down, steal what you want and be on your way. At least then they've got to get you "beyond a reasonable doubt" instead of whatever cockamamie threshold of evidence led to this miscarriage of justice
                "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

The judge should have thrown the case out.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc
                    And people wonder why I have no interest in being a lawyer. Doing that for a living would crush my soul.
                    You just stuck it right out there didn't you.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

The girls' behavior does seem strange, ummature, and something right out of the plot of a disney tween show.

On this special episode of 7th Heaven, Hillary Duff guest stars as Lizzy Mcguire, and proceeds to get entangled in the law for distributing cookies to crank neighbors. Barry Williams (of Brady Bunch fame) guest stars as the judge.

However, the outcome of this makes me furious! In America we don't have a Justice system, we have a legal system. It seems like the facts concerning their "malicious" action is that they knocked on the door and didn't respond to the woman asking who's there, then they left. The cookies seem like almost a side issue of no importance at all. Maybe it's where I'm partially insomniatic, but 10:30 at night isn't late. Unless this woman had a sign on her property saying no trespassing, it doesn't seem like this is trespassing. I just can't see how they could have found these girls liable for her hospital bill. If she only had to pay 900 dollars in doctor bills, it sounds like she didn't wrong with her. Except that she's a pyscho freak. If I had 900 extra dollars I would send it to the girls along with enough money to countersue the woman for harrassment. I wish people could simply set down and talk things out instead of always getting the court system involved.

Comment

I've never heard of a state having a curfew law before. I heard news reports of a couple cities having it for after Midnight, but not a state and not for so early. Maryland certainly has no such curfew law.
                        "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by dejon
                          What a hag! But the system that actually accepted this as a case is the worse offender here.
                          word
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Well, even with permission, the 17-year old was probably out past curfew. Regardless of the motives and the nice gesture, they did cause someone to have medical problems, and so were responsible. Sux tho. I think the judge should have made the woman pay all the court fees, since she refused to settle, and wasted the sourt's time.
                            Isn't curfew 12:00 AM in most areas in the country?

Comment

I didn't really notice this part first time I read the story:

Two teenage girls decided one summer's evening to skip a dance where there might be cursing and drinking to stay home and bake cookies for their neighbors.

This story sounds more and more like "Cry-Baby"
                              The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                                curfew

WTF are you on about?

Curfew? Are you seriously claiming that there are a significant number of jurisdictions in the US with a legally imposed curfew on minors (also note that one was of legal age)...
                                in Las Vegas there is a curfew of 12:00 AM in minors. and they aren't allowed to drive down the Las Vegas strip.

Comment

Working...
                                X