• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kill people for fun

US 'war is fun' general rebuked
    By Adam Brookes
    BBC News Pentagon correspondent

Gen Mattis described fighting as 'a hell of a hoot'
    The US Marine Corps has publicly upbraided one of its generals for his comments describing shooting people in Iraq as "fun".

Discussing fighting in Iraq, the General said he liked brawling and enjoyed shooting people.

The Marine Corps said Lt Gen James Mattis had been "counselled" concerning his remarks, made during a panel discussion in California.

The general had agreed he should have chosen his words more carefully.

Gen Mattis is a hardened veteran of combat and appears to have developed a taste for it.

During the discussion, he spoke of his experience fighting in Iraq as commander of the 1st Marine Division.

Caught on tape, he said: "Actually, it's quite a lot of fun to fight; you know, it's a hell of a hoot. I like brawling; it's fun to shoot some people."

In the context of Afghanistan, he said men who slapped around women for not wearing a veil had no manhood and it was fun to shoot them.

---
    I think people with views like that should stick to paintball
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

let's get real here. I was on a ship with marines, I see how they act. They want nothing more than to get some "action" And by action I'm not talking about sex with hot chicks.

This general is just saying what many marines want.

Comment

Well, honesty never killed anybody.

The only thing that always trumps it is knowing when to keep your mouth shut.

One has to wonder though how he got to be a general in the first place. Jeez.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
        let's get real here. I was on a ship with marines, I see how they act. They want nothing more than to get some "action" And by action I'm not talking about sex with hot chicks.

This general is just saying what many marines want.
        They want to shoot people? What a bunch of sickos.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Where I come from, a sure way to dodge conscription is to say things like that to the psycologist at the recruitment evaluation process (if they think you really mean it). The recruitment officers would put you as far away from weapons training as possible.
          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Considering that gladiator fights were a most favored entertainment form in Rome, and that public executions always attracted lots of spectators, it's quite obvious that violent death is a form of "fun" for humans. And it is also obvious that many people enlist in voluntary militaries because they want that kind of action (many people also enlist in the police in the hopes of seeing some brawl-like action)

This is really unsurprising. And this is why the psychos should be gethered in a specific corps, that is sent to "action" only when really needed. These people should be sent in free-fire zones, but certainly not on peacekeeeping or stabilisation missions.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

His comments are inappropriate but he's not a diplomat and you need soldiers who relish the fight.
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                His comments are inappropriate but he's not a diplomat and you need soldiers who relish the fight.

So George Bush Jr. can sleep easy then.
                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I don't really mind about shooting men slapping women that don't wear a veil..
                  I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

George Santayana
                    To delight in war is a merit in the soldier, a dangerous quality in the captain, and a positive crime in the statesman.
                    19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

Yeah pretty funny fighting untrained and underequipped opponents.

What a moron.

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                        I don't really mind about shooting men slapping women that don't wear a veil..
                        How does he pick those who slapped women from those who didn't? Don't tell me he wants to exterminate the male population in the country he invaded.

Comment

The Marine Corps of the united states is the only modern military unit I know about that seems to take pride in building up a reputation about themselves as a bunch of ignorant and stupid brutes.

Comment

I wouldn't call them ignorant and stupid, I believe the IQ needed to qualify is above average. Brain washed would be a more appropriate term.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston

One has to wonder though how he got to be a general in the first place. Jeez.
                              Well, he enjoys killing people. That's got to count for something.
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                              X