No announcement yet.

World Food Reserves Under 70 Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have food for about...... well I have ketchup. I guess I can eat that few days.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
      I don't want to belabor the obvious, but food reserves cannot be too high or else the stuff would spoil.

What is the amount of food reserves that you have in your house? 3 days? A week?

Panicked yet?
      Things like rice, pasta and canned food is still edible after decades. When I was in the military, we got food that was stamped "Produced 1965" and it was just fine (if you can stand the flatula it produces)
      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

I've been learning to live of the land/grow my own food etc for ages now. With the right set-up i could probably feed my close friends/family if needed, in theory.

Could i stop people with guns stealing it? thats a different story, i'll need to address that somehow.

If we have a large enviromental shift then i guess its the guys with guns that would last longer, but it might not be for much longer?

I was just remined of one of the Mad Max films - i'd be the guy who gets his hard won produce stolen by thugs! damnit
        'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
          I've been learning to live of the land/grow my own food etc for ages now. With the right set-up i could probably feed my close friends/family if needed, in theory.
          How do you grow food in a volcano winter? It may be dark and cold, 24 hours a day for 2-3 years.
          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
            I have food for about...... well I have ketchup. I guess I can eat that few days.
            Hmmm, I've got a cat. We should team up.
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

We pay people not to grow food in the US.

Comment

Finally found a link on the Nuclear Autumn info.

groups.msn.com/JuntoSocietyAdults/sciencebits.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=77&LastModified=4675401964186185659

In a 1990 article in Science, Sagan and his original coauthors admitted that their initial temperature estimates were wrong. They concluded that an all-out nuclear war could reduce average temperatures at most by 36 degrees Fahrenheit in northern climes. The chilling effect, in other words, would be more of a nuclear autumn.
                It would really mangle agricultural production, especially at the wrong time of year. Plus I don't have mukluks.
                The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie

Things like rice, pasta and canned food is still edible after decades. When I was in the military, we got food that was stamped "Produced 1965" and it was just fine (if you can stand the flatula it produces)
                  And you made military service in '66?

He's right actually. My brother made military service a couple of years ago, and they found some edible peas soup from the '30s.

And then there was that still drinkable wine they fished up from the wreck of a Classical Greek ship.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I hunt, so I know where to get food.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie

How do you grow food in a volcano winter? It may be dark and cold, 24 hours a day for 2-3 years.
                      this to be worse than 1816, when the eruption of Tambura caused the "year with no summer"? IIUC harvests in New England, upstate NY, and eastern Canada were wiped out (and I assume in northern europe as well) but harvests still came in the mid atlantic and southern states, and there was no famine in either North America or northwestern Europe (edit - except in Ireland) (though there WERE riots in France).
                      Last edited by lord of the mark; February 1, 2005, 14:18.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I assume in conditions of one or more skipped global harvests, there would be a mass slaughter of livestock herds (which cant be fed anyway, and are far too large to live off pasturage only) This sudden supply of meat would be available, as well as the grain reserves, and peoples personal supplies.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist

And you made military service in '66?

Comment

If natural gas and electricity for heating remained available, people could grow some stuff inside-- it wouldn't be much but added to the meat kill-off, it should be ok.

a 36 degree farenheit drop would wipe out canadian agriculture but the mid- southern US might be viable--

I could see a big market for fish ( the ocean temperature hardly changes and should not change quickly so it might be able to provide a major food source in the years until the temperature change was felt
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                              . . . and I don't think ANYONE in Canada stocks only 3 days food-- Anyone that has would probably have gotten a bit hungry during something as routine as a major blizzard

I don't think we've had a blizzard that put roads out of comission for more than six hours here in suburban Toronto in the past ten years.
                              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                                I don't want to belabor the obvious, but food reserves cannot be too high or else the stuff would spoil.

What is the amount of food reserves that you have in your house? 3 days? A week?

Panicked yet?
                                I ran out of milk this weekend. I think the world is ending.
                                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                                X