No announcement yet.

World Food Reserves Under 70 Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem is WHEN the temperature drop occurs. If it occurs at the start of the planting season, and you are in an area with an adequate transportation net, you can do things like substitute short season coarse grains - barley and oats for example - for corn and soybeans. While you probably will not have adequate stocks to plant all the ground, at least you will get something in.

A similiar drop in April would be catastrophic. By the time you had any kind of temperature stabilization (temperature drops like that will create NASTY weather) it will be too late to get most crops in. Maybe radishes, some greens, etc. that you can freeze and survive off of. In the US at least you have not only the extenisve feed lot animal husbandry that would have to be slaughtered (mentioned by a previous poster), you also have very abundant white tail deer and non-migratory Canada geese.
    The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
    And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
    Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
    Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

the livestock arent just in the US. Also in Canada, Argentina, Brazil, western europe, Australia, New Zealand. That would include massive numbers of sheep - with the prospect of mass starvation, I think the wool industry would be a small sacrifice.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I have guns, so I would steal my food.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
          Most westerners are too fat anyway.
          probably obese populations would survie the catastrophie in much larger numbers than the physically fit populations.

Comment

As of right now, half the food grown in the US is used to feed livestock, which converts into edible food at 10% efficiency.

Thus we've got quite a bit of a safety margin. That a nuclear autumn would fall within the range where this is even an issue is rather slim most likely- either not much happens, or the world freezes over.
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Look in your trash can. Sure. Dig in it. No one's watching.

See that chunk of meatloaf? That slice of bread with the one dot of green on it? The package that was probably good, but said "NOV99" on the front?

In the event of a nuclear holocaust, you've got your own reserves, which includes everything in your fridge, everything in your pantry, everything in your backyard that you can kill and cook. Then you've got the trash. It's cold and damp and you're on a starvation diet and people are dieing all over the world and the radio says the local food supply just ran out and reinstallments aren't going to come for 3 more days. You're eating that trash.

Then, hunting--probably precipitates mass extinction of hunted game, but everyone with a gun or a freezer gets out in the woods and starts shooting up every critter that moves.

And after that you've got slaughtering farm animals and government food supplies. And after that you're a hunter-gatherer. Hopefully the sun will have come back out and there'll be grass or berries or something to eat.
              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
                probably obese populations would survie the catastrophie in much larger numbers than the physically fit populations.
                WOOT! The white folks are safe.

(OK, bad joke)
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Someone can shoot me and eat me, I don't want to live in any such world.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie

Things like rice, pasta and canned food is still edible after decades. When I was in the military, we got food that was stamped "Produced 1965" and it was just fine (if you can stand the flatula it produces)
                    the farting would increase green house gasses warming the atmosphere and brining us out of nuclear winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

Nope, they wouldn't survive for long when the local Macdonalds close.
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

This thread is making me hungry.
                        Visit First Cultural Industries
                        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Just in time food production

Comment

WTF Echthy
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Come on BlackCat, do you NEVER jump to the last page in OT (from all time) and bump some threads from there?

They'd be locked if you weren't supposed to.

Comment

Yeah, but my last comment actually eneded the discussion

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                                X