Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you can have just one sci-fi/fantasy gadget...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Smiley
    It's always baffling why starships are so big and heavily crewed. Did the electronic revolution never happen in that alternate timeline?
    Big + many people = advantage in combat
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Big + many people = bigger target, easy to infiltrate
      Visit First Cultural Industries
      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Big + many people = bigger target, easy to infiltrate
        Bigger target - yes, but also much tougher
        Easy to infiltrate - can go either way
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

• Big = also bigger guns
          Blah

Comment

• Bigger guns and more guns

Comment

• Yeah, and not to forget thicker hull armor and bigger shields
              Blah

Comment

• Definitely.

Big starships are badazz.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                  I want a Borg cube. Borg cube beats Galaxy class starship any day of the week.
                  it's ugly though. I like my space ships phallic shaped.

Comment

It's always baffling why starships are so big and heavily crewed. Did the electronic revolution never happen in that alternate timeline?
                    the federation is based off the U.S. Navy.

And the U.S. Navy today still requires heavy crews despite our technology. Although the U.S. Navy isn't as technologically advanced as people think (except for weapons technology of course). I see better technology in the private sector. When I was in computer use was low. Everything was done on paper.

In any case they needed large crews so they had a large supply of "extras" that could be killed during battlescenes. Because unlike the U.S. navy, the officers do all the work- not the enlisted men. All they really needed is officers.

Chief o'brien is like the only enlisted person I have ever seen on the show.

Comment

Working...
                    X