Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you can have just one sci-fi/fantasy gadget...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you can have just one sci-fi/fantasy gadget...

I want my jetpack!

Or a starship.

holodeck. (I think you all know why)

Comment

Death Star... fully automated of course.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Replicator.
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
          Death Star... fully automated of course.
          just put a steel plate or something over that vent hole. Of course then it wouldn't vent properly. In that case you would just create a jagged path so a missile could not navigate down it, but still allow it to vent.

Comment

Originally posted by dv8ed
            Replicator.
            This would be my second choice... but only if I can program in new things.

actually, I'm changing my pick. This is my first choice.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

This would be my second choice... but only if I can program in new things.

actually, I'm changing my pick. This is my first choice.
              a holodeck can serve as a replicator and much, much more. Why not get the superior version?

Comment

Holodeck's can't serve as replicators. Stuff produced in a holodeck only exists in a holodeck. You can't survive off holodeck food for example because, molecularly, it's not real. It only passes for real.
                Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident

a holodeck can serve as a replicator and much, much more. Why not get the superior version?
                  if it can serve as a replicator, then I'm down with that.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by dv8ed
                    Replicator.
                    Yeah, I think I would have that one...program it to replicate £20 notes
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
                      Holodeck's can't serve as replicators. Stuff produced in a holodeck only exists in a holodeck. You can't survive off holodeck food for example because, molecularly, it's not real. It only passes for real.
                      then how was Captain Picard able to use a Tommy gun in order to kill the Borg (after taking the safety precautions off). They aren't illusions, they are very real.

Comment

actually, I think I'm gonna change my pick again... I'm choosing the class of ship the Enterprise-E is... it comes with holodecks AND replicators.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

actually, I think I'm gonna change my pick again... I'm choosing the class of ship the Enterprise-E is... it comes with holodecks AND replicators.
                          yes, but who are you going to get to run the ship?

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident

yes, but who are you going to get to run the ship?
                            fully automated... either that or I'll replicate enough androids to run it for me...
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Like I said... a starship.

Teleporters (or farcasters as in Dan Simmons' Hyperion) would be too.

Comment

Working...
                              X